Office Workers: What do you do during the day to keep acive?

Options

Replies

• FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Go down to the work gym at lunch time for a double session.
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill in my building's fitness center at lunch. I run one - two miles depending on how fast I'm going since I don't get a lot of time for lunch, and I have to clean myself up and change back into work clothes. The disposable face wipes are great for a dry shower if you don't have shower access or time. I pack a "gym" bag the night before to remember workout clothes (including socks and underwear!). Along with packing a lunch, it's gotten to be habit.

Throughout the day I set a timer on my phone for every 90-120 min to go and do 3 flights of stairs. This usually coincides with bathroom or water breaks anyway. I keep a pair of flats at my desk so I'm not clomping down the metal stairs in heels. At night I try to get in additional elliptical time or a workout video to boost up my step count or general movement.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. I take advantage of my 15 minute breaks and take a brisk walk around the area. I also just switched out my office chair for a balance ball. It's my third day, my back feels better by the end of the day, and my posterior can feel the challenge of stabilizing!

I also take advantage of nice days like today and bike to work whenever possible. Of course these are little things, but they are better than nothing. I depend a lot on workouts outside of work time.

I've thought about suggesting balance balls at the next meeting when they ask for ideas and suggestions. Just to see the looks on their faces.
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I park at the farthest door from my office, use the bathroom farthest away or the one up stairs. If no one is around I will do a few squats or stretches. Want to try a balance ball but haven't yet.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I on average get 7000 steps in at the office between going to the printer, bathroom, breakroom and instead of emailing folks I go talk to them etc. The rest of my 10k steps comes from getting ready for work and after I get home tidying up the house...it's doable without adding in extra exercise...but I do that too.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I just got up from my desk and walked the long way around to the kitchen to get myself a cheese stick. Steps is steps.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i wear my fitbit on my sock and try to walk in place as much as i can. 15 minutes in the morning at home, while i'm eating my oatmeal, or afterwards while i am crocheting. we have no stairs at the office nor can i go to a further bathroom but i do have a 30 minute lunch break, and i walk in place at least 20 minutes of that. when i print something i do have to walk to the printer room so i do more steps in place. i try to get in 7,000 steps by the time i finish work. i usually get in 3,000 or more steps during the evenings (on non-gym days) while i stand up and walk in place while i crochet. i try to get to the gym 3 x per week to do some strength training.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break and eat at my desk.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I sit on my butt most of the day at work in a small office so I try to find any excuse to get up and move. If I have to print something, instead of using my printer, I'll print to the one on the other side of the office. I take a walk around the block and a lap around the Trader Joe's parking lot when I take the mail to the mailbox. When I carry files out of my bosses office to put on mine so I can do my thing with them, I take them client by client so I'm making 4 or 5 trips (sometimes 15 or 20 when we're deep into tax season).

I've cut my eating at lunch while reading (that killed me) time short so I can take small walks. I keep a protein bar in my desk at work so sometimes I'll just put my earbuds in and walk for the whole hour and have that for lunch.

And, if I'm alone in the office, I say screw it to work and pace back and forth until I'm no longer alone. :smile:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I use my 15 minute breaks to walk. That way I have at least 30 minutes of walking done for the day (I count steps with my fitbit). Between those 30 minutes and the rest of my normal moving around for my job, I can end my work day around 6-7000 steps. Leaves less that I have to do when I get home.
  • clarissanbowman
    clarissanbowman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depending on weather, I get up an hour early to work out at the gym. However since this is winter and mother nature has not been too nice to us, I usually walk during my lunch. I walk to the fax machine & the bathroom the long way. I park at the back of the parking lot to log in more steps.
  • katherineclarkson
    katherineclarkson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all :-) Thank you for all your advice, I weighed myself this morning (I do it every Monday) and I have lost 3 lbs this week.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Katherine,
    I work in an office environment that involes a lot of sitting. I am walking inbetween to offices 3 to 4 times a day. Does anyone have any tips for activity at your desk?

i get an hour lunch and i'm lucky enough to have a small gym at the office so i use that during my lunch hour. if it's nice outside i go for a run at lunch.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Bang my head on the desk over and over and over and over. The concussion really helps my appetite, too.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    We have a lower level in our building that isn't used much, so I walk laps in there for ten minutes in the morning, ten minutes in the afternoon, and for a half hour at lunch if I have time. I can't wait for the weather to get nicer so I can just do 45 minutes outside at lunch!
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well my job is SUPER low key so I really dont do much all day and theres no one here most of the time so I often walk in circles for a few hours while I read on my nook. I'm usually up to 10,000 steps before I even leave to go and workout. I've also done strength workouts and things but thats just cause I know no one is coming in.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    krissyrey wrote: »
    Everytime I go to the bathroom which is often since I drink a lot of water, I do about 20-30 squats in my heels. I sink my butt low down, and I feel the burn :)

oh my gosh i do the same thing! i always think 'oh god if anybody saw me right now they'd think i'm a nut' -___- haha
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I usually get up and walk around every now and then. Also, if I am at a location with a lot of stairs, I will make it a point to go up and down them several times a shift. If I am going to grab a few things, I will take them one at a time to get a little bit more walking in :)
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I work in several different locations but my job does involve lots of sitting all day. I try to park in the farthest spot away from the door. In the places that have stairs I might find some excuses to go up and down them a few times a day. My buildings are all small so I can't walk around too much but I do try- lots of trips to the bathroom, lots of trips to the front office. I usually work over lunch so no walking for me.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I cycle to work (instead of drive) three days a week, and run 5k in my lunch hour two days a week. :smile: