Reached goal size, still over healthy BMI.... what now?

Options
I've lost ~60 lbs in the last ~7.5 months and am now juuuuust shy of the 'top' end of a healthy BMI. As in, within 2lbs. However, I am now at my goal size of 6, which is where I was prior to getting pregnant (and also 30 lbs lighter than my current weight though WAY more muscular and toned than I am now).

I really have no wish to go under a size 6, as I'm still a 12-14 up top and it's already starting to look a little silly. I also love my soft curves!

I figure I have a few options:

1. Slowly lose the last couple lbs and hope I don't drop another size, and stop right at the top of healthy BMI.
2. Keep going as I am, definitely go down another size or two, and reach mid-range of healthy BMI as I was in my late teens/early 20's.
3. Stop now and move to maintenance or even bulking (I don't wish to get really toned -- a bit yes as I am a rider and the muscle makes that easier... and as a rider I'm sure a bit of bulk will be inevitable, but again I love my soft curves!)
4. Stop now and let my skin catch up to my new body... and hope that in playing with finding where my true 'maintenance' is I still lose those last few lbs and not gain a bit more.

If y'all were in my situation, what would you go for? This? Other options? I know only I can make that decision but trying to figure out a sensible end result and I'm sure others here have been in similar situations!

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with where you are...then stay there.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My goal is to lose midways my healthy BMI to put me in a safety zone... This is my goal. However, I have decided to be flexible depending on how I look and feel once I begin approaching my goal. What are your health stats? Do they suggest you should lose more.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think the whole BMI thing is a bunch of BS. I think a size 6 is friggin awesome...and a 60 pound loss is fantastic! But you need to do what you're comfortable with. If I was a size 6 I'd be pretty happy with that!

(PS- I'm a loose 8 so I might be in '6-Ville' after I lose these last 7 pounds :) )
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My goal is a six as well. I am at a loose 12 with about 50 more to lose...maybe 40 if I reach a size 6 sooner than expected.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could try to maintain for several months where you are now and then re-evaluate.
    If you are happiest with your body at the high end of the bmi for your height then maybe that is where you should stay.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Got to ask, how can you be a size 6 but a size 12-14 on top? Maybe if you lost more you would lose from the top?

But if you're happy where you are, you don't have to lose more. It depends a lot on your frame and how much muscle you have too... BMI doesn't mean that much. I have a friend who is a big smaller than me but weighs 10 more pounds but still look amazing.
  • jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BMI is not everything, especially with some variation between body composition. I'm a BMI of 24, but I wear a size 2 pants and my BF% is "average," so I'm not terribly concerned.
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Got to ask, how can you be a size 6 but a size 12-14 on top?

In for answer to this.
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BMI scales do not take muscle into consideration...therefore those tables are garbage for people who exercise hard and have a muscular build....so don't worry about that. You sound like you are at your goal to me!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to BMI - count me in the BS crowd. :smile: Someone who has a lot of muscle with very low body fat can still show as being in an unhealthy BMI range due to their weight - it's too broad.

Congrats on the size 6 goal! What sort of exercise do you do? Any weights or strength training? Sounds like at this point you might want some body recomp, so if you're not lifting, you might want to look into that. Nothing has given me better results with getting the results I wanted (firm, fit body, less fat, revealing lean muscle) than picking up the weights.

Meanwhile, go with how you look and feel rather than what the BMI numbers tell you. Good luck!
  • rscunu
    rscunu Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Got to ask, how can you be a size 6 but a size 12-14 on top? Maybe if you lost more you would lose from the top?

I'm an 18 on bottom and 22 on top. I have huge breasts, plan and simple, I'm a 38 DDD
    my waist is an 18 bust 22.
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    Congrats! My goal is to lose midways my healthy BMI to put me in a safety zone... This is my goal. However, I have decided to be flexible depending on how I look and feel once I begin approaching my goal. What are your health stats? Do they suggest you should lose more.

^^^This!

I do have a certain goal weight and BMI in mind, but if I start to look sick or unhealthy or generally spooky-crazy before I get there, then screw that! I'm not even sure how accurate the BMI thing even is sometimes. It's based on height/weight, right? Well, what about body builders who weigh lots, but have little body fat? IJS

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    warnerlm wrote: »

In for answer to this.

Personally, my hips are size 8 (if I'm buying jeans), but have 34DDD cup size so I usually have a buy a size 12 dress...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're happy where you are then stay there. You may lose a little more as you increase calories to maintenance but 2 lbs is within the range of normal fluctuations and I wouldn't be concerned about it.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Due to vanity sizing aiming a 6 in one brand could be a 10 in another. (I wear a 6 in Loft jeans and a 10 in Eddie Bauer jeans) I would have a specific weight or measurement (as in tape measure) goal instead of clothing sizes. If you are happy where you are, welcome to maintenance!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

In for answer to this.

I'm wondering about this as well. Also, I'm curious about option #4 on your list: do you have excess / loose skin issues? If so, maintaining where you are for a while and letting your body heal and catch up is probably a good idea.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

In for answer to this.

Boobs.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BMI is a great measurement tool when looking at populations, for example statistically if the average BMI of the UK is x then we can say they are an overweight/obese nation. From a personal perspective it is not that accurate and is used so much by the medical profession because it is easy and cheap to use.

Personally I think BMI is just one of many tools in our toolbox for judging where we are compared to our goals, along with weight, bf%, the tape measure, how we look in the mirror and more importantly how we feel about ourselves
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Due to vanity sizing aiming a 6 in one brand could be a 10 in another. (I wear a 6 in Loft jeans and a 10 in Eddie Bauer jeans) I would have a specific weight or measurement (as in tape measure) goal instead of clothing sizes. If you are happy where you are, welcome to maintenance!

This!
    Plus check with your doctor and check on things like waist-hip ratio and waist circumference. Yes, you should be happy where you are, but I'm guessing you also want to make sure you are getting the health benefits.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm so big on top because I'm a 34GG/36F. I was DDD even when I was only 125lbs. I'm very.... some people would say 'blessed', I say 'cursed' XD (I buy 12-14 tops that are super clingy so they don't look like bags)

So far the 6 is pretty consistent. Some brands are tighter and some looser, but it's been a pretty safe bet in everything but breeches! :)