Personal problems & working out

Options
When i first started working out everything just became better. I beat my winter depression and felt like a champion for being able to keep my promise to myself.
Now i don't know if it's just me but i started realizing whenever I had problems, in my relationship, work w/e i would stray off working out for some reason. A lot of people do the opposite, when they have drama in their life, they sweat it out even more. -Which is awesome!
Now i realized that the hard part for me, was going to the gym, after I feel great! Before I started working out, I would deal with my problems by watching TV, eating, going on the internet, playing games etc. just to get my mind off the problems.

Now I realize I was setting myself up for a shortcut to feeling lousy and depressed. Not working out would lead to feeling guilty, that would just add to the stress, and so on. Now days whenever I feel bad, I put my running shoes on, go out for a quick walk (even if it's at 11pm) and clear my head. I sleep better, feel better, live a better quality life because of something as simple as walking for 30min :)

I'm sure all of u out there already know this, just felt like sharing yet another positive side to working out :)
Have a lovely day!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I always feel so accomplished after working out. It's like I have so little control of my life right now (Last term of college) and the gym is a place where I am in control. My husband says I always finish my workouts smiling. Enjoy your day!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym definitely helped me cope with the crap my ex-husband wants to hand out to me. And it helped me deal with having my boyfriend over 100 miles away for the first year of our relationship. It helps me to better cope with work stress too.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    The hardest part is actually going to the gym or heading outside for the run.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    The hardest part is actually going to the gym or heading outside for the run.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym definitely helped me cope with the crap my ex-husband wants to hand out to me. And it helped me deal with having my boyfriend over 100 miles away for the first year of our relationship. It helps me to better cope with work stress too.

Yes working out has 100% helped me deal with being in a long distance relationship. Comparing how I feel when my bf left for thailand for 4 months, when i didn't work out, and how i've been doing now when he's away and I have been working out, boy it's a BIG difference. It's helped me so much!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing you've done is identify the pattern and broken it! Well done! I used to 'not have time' to work out / exercise. Once I realised I simply wasn't making time to exercise, it became easier to factor in!
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    I think that's an awesome thing to recognize--exercise is such a powerful tool! Definitely makes your life better in more ways than one. Way to go--that's something a lot of people don't understand!
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options
    It is always great to read posts like these. Exercise has many benefits - physical and mental health is top of my list. I geneerally start to feel low on my rest day!

Of course the sceintific reason we feel great after exercise is that the body releases endorphins and tells the brain good things, giving us this "great to be alive" feeling. It is a scentific bio-chemical fact . As it is my lunch hour, I have found a good (by lengthy) paper on why this is so, for those that might be interested:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro05/web2/mmcgovern.html