Kicking it up a notch?? - advice??!

Options
ive been working out and monitoring my food eating healthy for three weeks and I feel pretty damn good. Now that I've began this routine of working out early in the am and eating healthy all daylong I'm thinking of kicking it up a notch. I didn't expect to lose a ton of weight in three weeks but I've only lost one pound, how do I even know if it's a pound of fat or a pound of muscle mass? I'm so new to this stuff. I've been thinking of going for a long swim after work as well three times a week and incorporating a healthy energy booster (maybe a homemade smoothie) pre evening workout. Is this going too hard too fast? I just hate how much weight I've gained (38lbs in one year) and I've always been a bigger gal anyhow I'm just done with it. I feel *kitten* sometimes even at the gym when I'm working out cause I see my profile in the mirrors and I have no idea how it got this bad I never thought I'd be this big and I'm at a point in my life where I can afford putting the time and effort (no kids, and no other distractions at all) but I don't want to go insane!!???!??!

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Did you make any changes that resulted in your recent weight gain? If your not sure, it may be worth it to go to the doctor and get checked out. If your thyroid levels are low, that could explain that recent weight gain as well as your slow weight loss.

However, you have only been at it for 3 weeks. Weight loss takes time. Focus on building habits that you can sustain for life. Too much calorie restriction and massive amounts of cardio can just set you up to yo-yo.

If you enjoy adding in the workouts, go ahead and do so. And a smoothie or other snack beforehand may or may not be needed depending on your energy levels. Just know that some smoothies (and other "energy boosting" snacks) can be higher calorie than you would burn during your workout - check the labels.
  • ladywylde1
    ladywylde1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Everything I eat is homemade and sugar free, (other than natural sugars) I had thyroid tested this time last year, I went through a lot of life *kitten* in the past year as well and my lifestyle and habits were terrible so I'm attributing that to my weight gain. I use the fitness pal app to monitor my cal intake and it always has me compensate for burning Calories too. I read somewhere maintaining calories is the ONLY way to lose fat and pumping cardio and lowering calories is unhealthy. Not sure what I believe but I love swimming and think I'll try it for a week in the eve and see how I feel.