I feel so weak :(

Options
I got Jillian's banish fat and boost metabolism dvd and I can only do half of it and I have to stop! I feel so weak and frustrated!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Many of these workout dvds are quite challenging. Don’t lose faith, just take some time to scale it. You can do it in one of two ways:
    1) When you get too winded (tired), pause the dvd and take a minute to recover. When you’re ready, restart the video.
    2) If you’re stuck for time, and you hit a wall, slow down (march in place) until you recover. When you’re ready, get back into it.

With either of these, you’ll get a good workout in and over time will need fewer/shorter breaks, eventually being able to complete the entire dvd.

Don’t get discouraged. Be proud you’re making the effort.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
  • adora85
    adora85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    this is a BRUTAL workout. Take water breaks in between and work towards a goal. When I first did this I aimed for three circuits back to back for a week. Then did four, then five and so on.

JM wants to up your endurance. Take your time and dont hurt yourself. In a couple of weeks you will be shocked at how much stronger you are.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I often go through periods of weakness, be it mental or physical. Sometimes it's recovery or diet related.

Other times, it's just me being a wimp.
    Many, many other times it's because I'm not ready for the intensity quite yet, so I keep plugging away at it. A month goes by, and once where I was weak, I am now strong.

Just keep at it.
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    do what you can and keep going, don't stop. You will get better at it and eventually be able to do the whole thing. I think that one is an hour long, you could always try one of her half our videos instead. Btw they are on youtube for free, so no need to go out and buy the dvd.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. When you first start something it can be really hard. Just take needed breaks and try not to beat yourself up about it. I know the other day my trainer had me doing something that I thought I was going to die. She then pointed out where I started and what I was doing now. You will get stronger if you keep at it and before you know it you will say "I got this" and have to find something more challenging.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yoga teachers will always tell you to take a break during a class if you need it. I second that advice. There's no magic that happens from doing the whole DVD without breaks right away. Start with what you can handle and do it consistently, then gradually start doing more. Everyone has to start somewhere so please don't get down on yourself or feel embarrassed.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Imagine how incredible you're going to feel when you do the whole thing :)

Because, if you keep it up, you're not far from it.
  • HeatherMae09
    HeatherMae09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great things take time! I do yoga almost every day and I can relate on feeling weak. I sometimes get frustrated and quit until I feel even weaker for doing so. Jump right back in. You're stronger than you think! Have faith in your body and the results will follow.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This is how everyone starts with dvds like that! If everyone started off doing it perfectly, it would only be useful for a couple weeks or a couple months at most.

I don't recommend turning it off though. Stick through the whole workout:
    - do fewer reps, but try each exercise -- you'll be doing all the reps in no time
    - do modifications to make exercises easier
    - some exercises are easier if you go slower (like for pushups, I might do 1 for every 2 because I just don't have that hustle yet, and that's fine)
    - pick a default rest exercise (marching in place or shifting weight side to side, even child's pose)
    - do a totally different exercise that you like better and are better at, if something is really too tough or frustrating you

Make it your goal to show up however often you said you would, and to stick out the whole video. Make it your goal not to hurt yourself -- don't keep going even after your form suffers, for example, so as soon as you're too tired to do it perfectly, stop that set. Make it your goal not to be frustrated (and to work through it when you are). You can hit those goals every time, so you will succeed every time, and some day you'll nail the whole video and feel awesome.
  • luckhardtmd
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I feel great about all the encouraging words! I will implement all advices tomorrow! I know soon enough I will nail it!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I felt weak today.

I can backsquat a good amount, yet I failed at a goofy low weight in a front squat tonight. Weak like baby.

Eh, tomorrow. Today was my first double workout in a while.
  • luckhardtmd
    Options
    Lets keep it up tomorrow!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Perseverance, you've got this!