Advice please!

Options
I am fairly new here (Have been bulking for about five weeks) and I could use a bit of advice.

I am a 19 year old girl
Starting weight: 100 lbs
Current weight: 105 lbs
Short term goal: 110 lbs (Long term: 120lbs)
Height: 5"4

MFP says I should be eating 2320 calories a day in order to gain 1 lb a week. Some days I hit that goal, sometimes I do not... But I still seem to be gaining so I guess it works out.

First things first! I am eating whatever I can to hit that calorie goal. This means a lot of junk food. I'm having a hard time getting enough protein in (usually around 50g short at the end of the day). What are some things that I can eat to increase my protein intake without making me too full?

Next question... Is it okay to do cardio while bulking IF I eat extra food to make up for the calories I burn? I do Zumba twice a week for 40 minutes and I don't want to give it up.

And finally... Is it possible to gain muscle just doing calisthenics and body weight exercises? I have been doing this type of exercise 2-3 days a week for about 3 weeks so far. (Pushups, wall balls, weighted lunges, squats, arm stuff with resistance bands, some dumbbell work, box jumps, pulling weights, etc). I would switch to just lifting heavy weights if I had to, but I like the place I am going to now, because it is inexpensive and the trainers tell you exactly what to do so I don't have to put too much thought into the workouts.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• DeanHobson70
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. I have a few suggestions for you.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    This is a good place to start: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1

You can do cardio, but you'll need to eat to make up for the calories burned.

You can make some progress with body weight stuff, but eventually you will need to implement progressive overload to make progress/build muscle/get stronger.

If you're eating a surplus and not really lifting, you'll add more fat than muscle. Lifting while bulking can help you do a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle. (Not everyone will get that ratio, but lifting while bulking will help you get closer to that ratio.)
  • moisesfgr
    moisesfgr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You'll gain from junk food due to high calories but keep in mind of all the "junk" in it isn't good for overall health.
  • lburger178
    Options
    I drink a protein shake. = 1 scoop of phrick's body fortress super advanced whey isolate.
    I get it at Walmart in vanilla creme. I add 9 tbsps of egg whites (dairy section-they come in a carton) 1/s a banana, add any fruit you like , I also add 2 tbsp of steel cut oats. blend it all up, put it in the freezer a few minutes and get it cold . Enjoy. This will give you 49 grams of protein and 30 grams protein and only 5 grams of fat.
  • KittyGlitter1380
    Options
    moisesfgr wrote: »
    You'll gain from junk food due to high calories but keep in mind of all the "junk" in it isn't good for overall health.

Yeah I get what you are saying. I eat some healthy and some junk food. I'm not planning on keeping it that way but it's nearly impossible for me to eat completely clean and hit my calorie goal at this point.
  • KittyGlitter1380
    Options
    lburger178 wrote: »
    I drink a protein shake. = 1 scoop of phrick's body fortress super advanced whey isolate.
    I get it at Walmart in vanilla creme. I add 9 tbsps of egg whites (dairy section-they come in a carton) 1/s a banana, add any fruit you like , I also add 2 tbsp of steel cut oats. blend it all up, put it in the freezer a few minutes and get it cold . Enjoy. This will give you 49 grams of protein and 30 grams protein and only 5 grams of fat.

Thank you! I will definitely try this!
  • KittyGlitter1380
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    This is a good place to start: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1

You can do cardio, but you'll need to eat to make up for the calories burned.

You can make some progress with body weight stuff, but eventually you will need to implement progressive overload to make progress/build muscle/get stronger.

If you're eating a surplus and not really lifting, you'll add more fat than muscle. Lifting while bulking can help you do a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle. (Not everyone will get that ratio, but lifting while bulking will help you get closer to that ratio.)

Makes sense! I can stand to gain some fat, but I'd like to keep that ratio. I will probably have to start lifting heavy
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to set the activity level correctly if you want to log exercise as well?
  • KittyGlitter1380
    Options
    tiffanyaiv wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to set the activity level correctly if you want to log exercise as well?

Your activity level should be set according to how active you are during the day (not including exercise.) To log an exercise click on the little blue circle with a plus on it. It's on the bottom of the page if you are on a phone
  • jeffreed662
    jeffreed662 Posts: 21
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think your on the right track. Try making homemade protein bars! they are good, high in protein, and complex carbs if you make them right. Hope the tip helps @KittyGlitter1380‌
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    tiffanyaiv wrote: »

Your activity level should be set according to how active you are during the day (not including exercise.) To log an exercise click on the little blue circle with a plus on it. It's on the bottom of the page if you are on a phone

Thank you! Do you have any idea if there is a accurate daily activity amount based on steps taken per day or anything?
  • KittyGlitter1380
    Options
    @tiffanyaiv‌, I just googled what each activity level means exactly. There were pretty accurate descriptions of each choice (sedentary, lightly active, very active, etc.) That should help you to pick the right one. Also you can sync this app with a compatible step tracker if you have one. You can you this in settings. :)
  • KittyGlitter1380
    Options
    @jeffreed662, thanks for the tip! I will look up recipes for protein bars.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    moisesfgr wrote: »

Yeah I get what you are saying. I eat some healthy and some junk food. I'm not planning on keeping it that way but it's nearly impossible for me to eat completely clean and hit my calorie goal at this point.

It's all about balance, and all these people preaching "junk foods" and the "apparent" harsh affects they have on health markers are largely misinformed and most have no idea what the hell their current health markers are anyways.

Enjoy your diet, and don't be concerned with using "junk food" (in balance) on a daily basis to assist you in meeting your calorie needs.
  • JohnRHII
    Options
    Muscle milk is great stuff for hitting protein goals, eas - Myoplex has 42 grams of protein in 17 oz drink. Try to eat a lot of chicken , pork chops are good for protein, steak, junk food will catch up with you and you will have to lose the fat, which is a pain. Get plenty of protein, eat decent and gain your weight only in muscle if you can. You will look better every week and not end up with fat to get rid of.
  • KittyGlitter1380
    Options
    @JohnRHII, that is a good idea. I have heard about muscle milk before but forgot about it until you suggested it. I will definitely check it out! Exited to gain!
  • RushOfOxygen
    RushOfOxygen Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eggs will hit your calorie intake without leaving you too full.
    Porridge and fish (tuna is easiest) for your extra protein.
    Pasta to get your carbs in (potatoes, rice, cottage cheese) are all good too.

Add me as a friend if you want to discuss anything. PS check out Lee Hayward on YouTube, he's really helpful..

& cardio will help burn off body fat. :)
  • Sparklething2325
    Options
    add beans to your diet if you dont eat them. I add hemp hearts,fresh ground flax to greek yogurt to upp calories.Oatmeal with hemp hearts,1/2 scoop protein,shredded apple,cinamon and honey is calorie dence.Eggs and toast.Loaded sweet potato with,corn , beans,salsa,low fat cheddar and greek yogurt is yummy
  • jeffreed662
    Options
    @jeffreed662, thanks for the tip! I will look up recipes for protein bars.

@KittyGlitter1380‌ any time :)
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. It's a yummy snack. I get 12g of protein per small container. I can eat 3 containers as a snack!