How do rate walking in the snow?

So I am hiking in the snow without snow shoes, how do you calorie count that?

Hiking with a bit extra? Snow drifts,...too. I am determined to do this!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I'd just log hiking. If it's a few calories more consider it a bonus against something you ate that you probably didn't log right.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    HRM will get you close. I run in snow, and top of ice as well as uphill repeats of both at times The only way I could ever tell how many calories I burned is by my heart rate. If you don't have one, do yourself a favor and purchase one if you can.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Not as desirable as walking on a beach in the Caribbean. ;)
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    I usually just add 0.5 to my speed to take it in consideration as snow slows you down for the same amount of effort. Hope that makes sense! But do try snowshoeing if you can. It's such a wonderful feeling!
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Not as desirable as walking on a beach in the Caribbean. ;)

....:grumble: NO FAIR.
    It's march 23rd, I'm sick of walking through huge snow banks

OP, I'd log as normal hiking (unless you have a HRM). consider the extras as 'bonus cals' in case you logged something wrong maybe? :P
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    inb4 someone says you have to buy a hrm.

Oh, too late. Got to get up earlier for that I guess. i dunno, could be anything, really. don't they have one for walking up an incline/hill? i'd probably use that one.
  • Bigbluefrog
    Bigbluefrog Posts: 28 Member
    HA ha, well its back, and more walking in snow and cold...that shivering has to burn more calories, if anything we do walk faster in the cold.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Did you ever buy a HRM?
  • Bigbluefrog
    Bigbluefrog Posts: 28 Member
    like a fitbit? yes!