help!!! Need to lose a LOT of weight

Options
Ok. So in massively overweight I need to move half my body weight. Anybody have a good recipie site? Cheers x

Replies

• madzdad
    madzdad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am as well, but work, time and perseverance is what it takes. I get many recipes from cookinglight.com and weightwatchers. I don't always go as far as WW does (fat free everything) but they still have some really good ones.
  • slcrane90
    slcrane90 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First of all welcome. Just like you, I need to lose a lot of weight also. I am a 46 year old woman who started a few months ago at 358 pounds (I am 6 foot tall). I am happy to say i am now at 325 pounds in just 4 months. It is a long, hard journey, and will take time. I wouldnt worry too much about any fancy recipes at first. Just try to eat healthy (proteins with fruit and veggies) and keep track of everything you put in your mouth. Good luck! We are all on this site with the same intentions........to lose weight, get healthy and feel better!
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    sedws12 wrote: »
    Ok. So in massively overweight I need to move half my body weight. Anybody have a good recipie site? Cheers x

You didn't gain it overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. Go for consistent weight loss, not dramatic. Along this line, the best I can suggest is to first start tracking what you eat - all of it! If you want to change something, you need to track it. This will give you an idea what where you are currently and what needs to be altered. Then just start trying to eat whole foods (fruits, veggies, whole grains) and lean proteins (chicken and fish). If you really want recipes, there's plenty out there. Just make sure you're followin the amount given to you by MFP - try to stay within that number at the beginning.

I would also suggest adding in exercise. Start off slowly, maybe just running a bit. And if you find that difficult, you can jog or even walk if needed. Just start getting some exercise to burn calories.

Eating the right foods, not eating too much, and getting some exercise will start you to see some results in the beginning. That's probably the best place for you to start if you need to lose that much. Best of luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    the first thing is to choose yourself a profile picture here. maybe cake with frosting.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am well on my way, having lost over ninety pounds so far. I also had bariatric surgery. MFP is great for understanding how much you are eating now, and just the act of tracking will point to small changes you can make along the way.

I eat normally, but my portions are changed. I had one slice of pizza for lunch today for instance.
  • rscunu
    rscunu Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com
    Don't focus on losing half your body weight. Small goals, first 10, first 25, 10% of original body weight. You can do this!
    Clean eating habits have helped me tremendously, stay out of the middle aisles, like slcrane said, protein/fruit/vegetable. I use zucchini as pasta, brown rice instead of white, quinoa is delicious and nutty.
  • kelly29414
    kelly29414 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like skinnytaste.com and chocolatecoveredkatie.com
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Start with small goals, and then work your way up!
  • rebeccascheckler
    Options
    One step at a time, that is how you walk form NY to LA
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Start with small goals, and then work your way up!

Exactly. Too crazy of a change is going to frustrate you and put you back where you started. Start small, and work towards those goals.
  • sue61802
    sue61802 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how overweight I am lol. I know where I'd like to be but I also know what those darned charts say. It would be a far stretch for me to meet that charts goal as I haven't been within that range since middle school. I'd be super happy losing 100 pounds but anything over that would be awesome -- now to lose 100 :)
  • jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    the first thing is to choose yourself a profile picture here. maybe cake with frosting.

Or something completely non-food-related, because we know all MO folks eat cake and only cake all day.
  • rmesser81
    rmesser81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've recently hit 100 lbs weight loss. Making small changes each day has been greatly beneficial and celebrating those small victories (healthy breakfast this morning, be proud of that accomplishment). One thing that helped me was parking father away from the stores when i went shopping. Adding small portions of exercise until i was able to not feel like i was killing my joints to do the exercise that I'm doing now. Cutting out the carbs has been a lifestyle change that I'm getting used to. I've been almost a year without pop, and really moderating my chocolate addiction have been the harder lifestyle changes. Getting a good mindset will be your biggest accomplishment and not getting discouraged when that pesky scale doesn't move right away.

For myself, I also use nutritional supplementation. At one point, at almost 400# I was seriously considering gastric bypass and I'm thankful I discovered the supplements that I did when I did.
  • HeatherD1830
    HeatherD1830 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree w everyone so far, small steps. I think start with a journal, keep it with you everyday and for a week right now exactly what you eat. Don't cheat by not writing it down, its only cheating yourself. I say write it down because sometimes logging it into MFP can be forgotten, alarming, or whatever else. At the end of the week or day, look at it. And use your common sense. MFP then will help you with making better choices. Losing weight is 75% diet. To get heart healthy and lose weight fast mix in exercise. There are so many gyms all over and if all you do is half hour of a cardio equipment to start that'll help you in the long run. I hope this helps, and if anyone wants to chat, get advice, or help w motivation I am here. We all need it! Best wishes.
  • sedws12
    sedws12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions