Need more protein

smartblond9684
smartblond9684 Posts: 11 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas of how to get more protein in my diet without actually breaking down and buying protein powder. I'm finding it extremely difficult to meet my protein goals each day. I'm not a big breakfast person, but am working on trying to get breakfast each day. My family are pretty picky eaters when it comes to dinner, so most of our protein comes from either chicken, tilapia, or turkey. I find it hard to eat more than 4 oz at a time as it just fills me up!! Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    I try to have snacks that are high in protein throughout the day, especially after I workout. I usually look for ideas incorporating nuts, nut butter, or yogurt.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    I eat protein heavy snacks every day too. 1-2 Oz of turkey slices with 1 Oz cheese, nuts, 1 Oz jerky, 1/2 c cottage cheese, milk, hummus, or tuna on whole wheat crackers are some of my favorites.

I also use quinoa a lot. It is a whole grain that packs protien. I eat lentils beans and chickpeas regularly in tortillas with veggies and meat.
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    eggs/egg whites (you can drink egg whites)
    meats (red meats are higher in fat, so depending on your numbers, you may not like red meat) (pork, turkey, chicken, steak, tuna, salmon)
    Jerky
    Pepporoni
    Peanut Butter (again, fatty, check out PB2)
    Milk (I usually use milk to hit carbs though)
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    I honestly only do 4oz of meat at a time too. I can easily get 150-200g a day. My main sources are eggs, peanut butter, steak, and chicken. Don't forget, a lot of your complex carbs have protein in them, especially whole grains.
  • smartblond9684
    Thanks everyone and thanks TR0berts for the link!!!!!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2015
    It's hard. I have the same problem. I eat a lot of eggs and turkey, including turkey cold cuts for snacking. I also keep string cheese sticks around for snacking. Nuts are great but very high calorie. I did break down and finally bought whey protein powder. I had to try a couple brands before I found one I really like. I put a scoop in my fruit smoothies. It's very good! I also make iced mocha coffees on occasion with some dark chocolate syrup and scoop of protein powder blended with ice and coffee. Makes a yummy treat that gives me 18g of protein.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Oh, I forgot. Quest bars too. Those things are deadly :)
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    I LOVE Quest bars, I only didn't recommend them since it kind of seemed like she was staying away from the "supplemental" protein.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Just curious on why not use protein powder? For me that's the only thing that gets me up there some days!
  • smartblond9684
    I feel it is kind of pricey and would prefer to get it from foods if possible. I'm not against it, I was just hoping I could fit it in through food rather than having to supplement. If after seeing what others do and trying some things I'm still having trouble getting enough, then I would consider using it, but did not want to go straight to protein powder if I did not have to. :)
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    I eat a lot of hard baked eggs...but I really love those single serving tuna packets: sweet and spicy is delicious (16g of protein and only 90 calories....I'm in!). :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    joneallen wrote: »
    I honestly only do 4oz of meat at a time too. I can easily get 150-200g a day. My main sources are eggs, peanut butter, steak, and chicken. Don't forget, a lot of your complex carbs have protein in them, especially whole grains.

^^I'm the same. Unless it's fish--a mild white-fleshed fish, and I can eat 8 oz. of that in one meal without feeling stuffed. Whole grains and legumes are fantastic plant sources of protein that we sometimes forget about, too.

For example, a 60g (dry weight--1 & 1/2 servings) oatmeal gives 10g protein. One cup of cooked beans (not sure on weight--~160-170g) is 15g protein. Plus plenty of fiber in those foods, too. Eat those things during the day, and you're already up 25g protein, the amount you'd get in an average scoop of protein powder.
  • smartblond9684
    Thank you thank you thank you!!! Getting some great stuff here to add to my next shopping list!