started the 17 day diet yesterday

Options
so 2 days in and i feel really good! i have SO much more will power when i'm following a specific menu plan, as opposed to just doing my own thing. i've been following the suggested menu plan for cycle 1 so far exactly and my cravings for junk food are 100% gone, i have practically no desire to snack during the day and i'm actually feeling satisfied after meals. no more mindless eating at all. i've always known i just need to be strong and cut out sugar and eat a mostly veggie diet, but now that i'm following a set plan i actually have the motivation to do it!

i just kind of miss bananas. for some silly reason i bought a whole bunch knowing i was going to start the diet this week, and in the beginning cycle (in an attempt to detox and rid the body of excess sugars and water retention) no high sugar fruits like bananas or dates are allowed. and those are my 2 fav fruits ever. but it does feel really, really good to be consuming almost no sugar at all. the only sugar i've had for the past 2 days was a few strawberries, apples and 1 orange.

has anyone else started this diet recently? if so how has it been going? any struggles?

Replies

• Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I havent heard of the 17 day diet...how does it go..?
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the replies you get!!
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am going to start it in June (I am going away soon and will be drinking on holidays).
    I have been reading the book and I am concerned that some of the food will be boring. It's good to know that you haven't found this even if you are only a day or 2 into it. I plan on making a mass vegie casserole with red kidney beans before I start it so I have some dinners already set outside.
    Any advise you have for some one about to start it would be appreciated
  • inocente1
    inocente1 Posts: 2
    Options
    what is the 17 day diet, i have been working out and trying to watch what I eat and I am still not losing any weight. I will not give up but I need something to boost my motabolism
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know what exactly this diet is too....I have a HUGE problem with mindless eating and snacking, and my cravings get really strong mid-afternoon.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    it's a really legit way of eating, it's not a gimmicky diet or anything, it's just based on really healthy foods that you eat in cycles. so in the first cycle you focus on lots of fresh or steamed veggies and lean protein, low sugar fruits, and probiotic foods like plain yogurt or miso. then in the next cycle you add in a serving of whole grain each day, and your allowed fruit/meats/veggie lists gets expanded a bit. then there's 2 other cycles where you introduce more foods into your diet, while you're switching up the amount of calories and foods you eat each day to prevent plateauing. and you drink hot lemon water each morning and 3 cups of green tea per day. it's basically the menu plan i've been telling myself i need to stick to for the past few months, but apparently i don't have the will power to do so unless it's written in black and white :P
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the diet but anything that doesn't let you eat fruit sounds a little off?! I know you have to be careful on how much you eat of it but I have always believed an apple a day> I truly think there are very beneficial nutrients in fruit that your body needs!
  • TCrawford70
    Options
    it's a really legit way of eating, it's not a gimmicky diet or anything, it's just based on really healthy foods that you eat in cycles. so in the first cycle you focus on lots of fresh or steamed veggies and lean protein, low sugar fruits, and probiotic foods like plain yogurt or miso. then in the next cycle you add in a serving of whole grain each day, and your allowed fruit/meats/veggie lists gets expanded a bit. then there's 2 other cycles where you introduce more foods into your diet, while you're switching up the amount of calories and foods you eat each day to prevent plateauing. and you drink hot lemon water each morning and 3 cups of green tea per day. it's basically the menu plan i've been telling myself i need to stick to for the past few months, but apparently i don't have the will power to do so unless it's written in black and white :P
  • TCrawford70
    Options
    Now it sounds a little better-should have read a little farther!
  • XoCynthiaXo
    XoCynthiaXo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    heyy i started my 17 day diet today, let me know your results and i will let you know mine?
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    I am going to start it in June (I am going away soon and will be drinking on holidays).
    I have been reading the book and I am concerned that some of the food will be boring. It's good to know that you haven't found this even if you are only a day or 2 into it. I plan on making a mass vegie casserole with red kidney beans before I start it so I have some dinners already set outside.
    Any advise you have for some one about to start it would be appreciated
    i thought it would be boring too, but so far the food has been delicious! i made a super good tomato sauce and threw in some ground turkey and ate that over steamed cauliflower (so good). today i had blackened salmon and broccoli sauteed in low sodium veg stock with red pepper flakes (so good). i chopped up a ton of veggies like carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, and 1/4 of an apple and made a huge veggie salad with a couple tablespoons of italian dressing, which was really really flavorful and delicious. today i added some portabella mushrooms cooked in veg stock and balsamic vinegar to give the salad more substance. just make sure you read carefully because when you start the diet beans aren't allowed, you can eat them in cycle 2 i believe but not at first.

i've lost 2 lbs in 2 days which i realize is mostly water weight, but hey for me that's huge as i have been exercising 6 days a week for 6 months now and haven't lost a single pound! and i can just feel it that with my diet as clean as this and if i keep exercising, i think i'm finally going to lose those annoying 10 lbs i've been trying to lose for months :)

the best thing you can do if you're starting this diet is to mentally prepare for it. like i said i've known that a diet like this is what i needed to do for a long time now, but i just didn't have the will power to not snack on junk and eat too many fats (healthy fats, but still, too many). so i just read the book and told myself "ok, on monday i'm starting this and i will eat EXACTLY what the book says to eat." so until that monday came i kept eating my normal food, and kept reminding myself that on monday that stops. and i wasn't sure that i'd be able to do it but so far it's been really easy and i feel SO much more satisfied eating the food this book recommends than i did eating what i wanted to eat.
  • marcyjane83
    marcyjane83 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm also on day C1D2. It's going far better than expected. I typically have no willpower as far as food goes and today I avoided PIZZA at our lunch meeting today at work. YEAH! I'm a little worried about how low the calorie consumption per day is. I'm wondering if it will back fire? With all the other treads I've read on here, it doesn't look like anyone has had any problems. Good luck sticking with it! I'm hoping top do the 17 days and then maintain..if I lose that much. =)
    For all of you wondering what the 17 day diet is, "SEARCH" 17 day diet on MFP and you'll read ALL about it. TONS of success stories and very little negative.
  • forest98520
    forest98520 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    C1D3 here and down 6 pds! My biggest problem is getting in enough calories. It's really difficult to get to 1200 with this diet and I am not hungry at all. Day 1 I was just over 900 and yesterday I was just over 700. Today I am going to just make myself eat more....
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    on day 1 i only took in about 800 calories as well... but yesterday i was able to get a lot more cals in, i made my food diary public if anyone wants to check it out to get some ideas. eating salmon really helped i think, there's lots of good calories in salmon and it's one of the freebie foods for cycle 1. i'd suggest exercising a little but more than the book recommends, just to make sure you're hungry enough to eat enough calories.
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am also having a hard time getting all of the calories in. FYI, if anyone is interested in being buddies for support/food ideas, let me know :)
  • Jansapphire
    Jansapphire Posts: 38
    Options
    I started it yesterday - C1D2 for me today - lost 3 lbs overnight - I am so motivated !!!!
  • valproulx
    valproulx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What exactly is it? What do you eat and when? Can someone give me details?
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What exactly is it? What do you eat and when? Can someone give me details?

It's basically a diet plan that switches up after each 17 days so your metabolism is "confused". The first 17 days there are no red meats, and it's basically a low carb/low calorie with an emphasis on certain foods. You are allowed 2 servings of fruit a day which is a fantastic change from other diets I've tried.
  • safari20111
    safari20111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started Monday. I've been able to eat about 1000-1200 daily. I've been very busy at work for the last 2 days so Ive been missing my 2nd fruit and have been eating chipotle salads (lettuce chicken tomatoe salsa)

Breakfast - eggs
    grean tea
    fruit

snack yogurt

Lunch
    veggie
    protein

snack - fruit

post workout snack - protein shake (yogurt & herbal life proten powder)

Dinner
    Veggie
    protein (my fat: a little ollive oil)