Am I drinking too much water?

Options
I'm a 5'6 152lb female and I've been drinking 14 cups, 112 oz, of water everyday. I read that women generally need to drink 8 cups a day or more if trying to lose weight. But I also read that to much water can be bad so I'm unsure of how much I should be drinking. Please help!!

Replies

• caseyann52
    caseyann52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That definitely won't do any damage :) it is on the high end, but you would have to have significantly more for it to be an issue.

Especially if you are active! I used to drink that much too, the only reason I stopped was because I had to friggen pee all the time!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I drink 12-16 cups a day during the week (I kind of slack on the weekends...). It's doing wonders for my complexion, but I'm not seeing any weight loss benefits :/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's summer here and I'm averaging(135 ounces) 4L everyday
  • sharonandwyatt
    sharonandwyatt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I read you should drink half your weight in ounces of water. So you should be drinking at least 76 ounces of water. Not sure if it's true though but I read it someplace.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I read you should drink half your weight in ounces of water. So you should be drinking at least 76 ounces of water. Not sure if it's true though but I read it someplace.

Yikes I'm 140lbs
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'6 152lb female and I've been drinking 14 cups, 112 oz, of water everyday. I read that women generally need to drink 8 cups a day or more if trying to lose weight. But I also read that to much water can be bad so I'm unsure of how much I should be drinking. Please help!!

Fluid helps with fluid retention/bloating (notice I said fluid not water). Basically all of the fluids you drink count towards your fluid intake (not just water). Fluid from food also counts (like watermelon and celery have a lot of "water" in them) although that would be hard to track. The optimum amount of "water"? The medical community still debates this, especially since every body (yes body, not "everybody") is different. A good rule of thumb is your urine color. The darker it is, the more dehydrated you are. You should aim for a pale yellow (completely clear indicates too much). However, be aware some medications and vitamins can cause discoloration of urine. If you are taking ones that do, you may need a your PCP to run a urinalysis/blood work to determine if you are hydrated enough.
  • Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I follow the 0.5oz per lb method, more if I'm extra active or sweaty. Never have I been concerned about drinking too much.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    hydration.png
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    #6 looks more like you had asparagus
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    You would have to drink multiple gallons in a very short period of time in order for the water to be harmful.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    You would have to drink multiple gallons in a very short period of time in order for the water to be harmful.

yeah, it takes me 7ish hours to drink 4L

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    hydration.png

why brown pee o.o
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    btw I need ideally 16 8oz cups of water a day for my urine to be around 1-2 in that graph and for my lips to not be peeling and cracking. Andto help alleviate water retention from excessive salt or just random retention. Had 4 cups last night, retaining water today. Woo.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    hydration.png

why brown pee o.o

I reckon that may mean a hospital trip??

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If your urine is brown that's either liver or kidney damage.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    aside from morning coffee (2 cups) and a cup of tea in the afternoon or evening, i drink almost exclusively water. my cup holds... 32 ounces i think? and i will fill it anywhere from 3-5 times a day (depending on activity and season, in the summer i go through gallons it seems!). my urine is a 2-3 on that list. i can't say it helped with weight loss though, but it certainly doesnt hurt that i replaced 4 sodas a day with it ;)

sadly, stopping the sodas didnt cause massive weight loss either. i was hoping! ;) LOLOLOL
  • lastusernameever
    lastusernameever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    hydration.png

why brown pee o.o

I reckon that may mean a hospital trip??

It certainly isn't good... it happened to me and it turned out my liver wasn't functioning properly. Was caused by a new contraceptive I'd been on. Bit scary!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    During the week I drink upwards of 6 litres of water a day. Thats, what... 200 oz?
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The only way you can drink to much water is to guzzle a cup or more all at once. That can flood the kidneys, especially if you've been taking any kind of medication. It really overworks the kidney - so drink all the fluids you want as long as you are only sipping all day long and not guzzling.