Post Operative Training after lower back surgery

Options
On February 9th, I had some rods, pins and screws added to my spine. My goal is to be the PT poster boy. Doing anything in pain is difficult, but I'm looking forward to beating this. Ten days after surgery I'm walking at a turtles pace but broke 2 miles on a windy 18 degree day.. :Dw3adduubv9di.png

Replies

• JessRodriguez16
    JessRodriguez16 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    wtg! That no small defeat! I have had 3 lower back surgery so I know about pain... no rods, pins or screws for me yet but some nerve damage in my left leg. Keep going and someday you will feel normal again. ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    That's great! I may be slated for surgery this year. I've managed for 3 years now with chronic pain. It good to hear that it doesn't sentence you to a sedentary lifestyle.
  • GunnyAv8tor
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback! And good luck to you both! For me pain management started in 2003. In 2014, I had my 13 epidural and third RFL procedure. October was my breaking point and I have no regrets. Luckily, I had a great surgeon and a very caring hospital staff. Day two and three after surgery was beyond awful, but worth it. Especially considering the way I feel now. Today I completed 3.44 miles with a -18 windchill. Yes, the back still hurts...but I feel ALIVE. I'm so happy to be conquering something as small as it may be. All the best!
  • mpmartin92
    Options
    Great input, I had a decompression on my L4/L5 in December, told in January it didn't work and they would have to do a fusion. Was running 15 miles prior to the surgery and don't feel like I can run three now. Back in gym, but have really lost a lot of my strength and have been told to limit the weights and running.
  • GunnyAv8tor
    Options
    Wow, I feel your pain. It's always so fustrating look back on what one use to be able to do. I'm a mere shadow of my former self. To be fair, age will slow us all down a bit. But pain can stop us dead in our tracks. Yesterday (17 days post op) I walked 3.89 miles in 1:02! You too will have improvement. It's just getting over the surgery hurdle. Was disc replacement ever discussed with you? I probably would have prefered that, but my insurance company shot down that idea. Good Luck!