New meds...weight loss/gain??

Options
Hi guys,

My doctor has put me onto Sertraline 50mg (an anti-anxiety/depressent) and i have been a bit nervous about taking it because i get worried about side effects of tablets.

I am on my 4th day of them now.

My question is...has anyone been on these or similar? if so did you gain weight or lose?

I'm really worried that the tablets are going to undo all my hard work so any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    SSRIs can influence weight up or down, but sometimes people don't see any effect on their weight at all. So try not to worry too much just yet.

When people lose weight on SSRIs, it's hard to tell if it's a direct side effect of the medication or happens because as you start feeling less depressed, you're more likely to eat better and exercise more.

If you find that the Zoloft is stalling your weight loss or causing a gain, you could ask to switch to one of the newer SSRIs like Lexapro which is less likely to cause this side effect. Switching from one SSRI to another is usually not too difficult if your health insurance will cover it.
  • xzy1000
    xzy1000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hello I have been taking them for around 3 months. I have only just joined this site and
    began to try and lose weight. I have not noticed any differance in my weight /gain since
    starting them. I am taking them for pain for fibromyalgia. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am on prozac, and it has made no difference to my weight loss program. Has been just as easy to lose weight on it.

Hope that helps x
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was on citalopram for a while. I lost weight on them purely because they made me feel so ruddy sick for the first few weeks :sick: and I wanted to sleep constantly! :yawn:
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    I started taking Zoloft literally this morning! have been worried about the same thing, but Im just gonna keep tracking my food intake, exercising reguarly & hope for the best!
    Good luck to you!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Am also on prozac and not noticed any difference, appetite is a but up and down but that is most likely due to my other meds
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I take Celexa 40 mg once a day. I didn't notice any weight gain or loss that I could say was the pills. I also take Prilosec and did notice my appetite increase on it, but then that might have been from the pain of gastritis being gone and eating was not painful.

I have been able to drop 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a week with my meds.
  • jmsladky
    jmsladky Posts: 46
    Options
    I just started it last week. I am worried about the same thing, the last week I have had no appetite. I am eating a little more, but not much more. I am glad you all are here for us to discuss.