Nutrisystem Beginner, Let's lose it!!

Options
Hi People

This is KG from NY, I am 42, looking to lose 20lbs, I weight 217 now, one of my friends started Nutrisystem and he lost 12lbs in 3 weeks, I got so excited, got my jump start kit, today is my second day, I am going to do it until jan.31 then weight myself, I am not working out though!
Add me and let's motivate each other!!!!
Good luck to you all
Happy new year

Replies

• maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My mom started NS back in December and has been doing great! She has a lot of weight to lose but has lost 13 this past month and she loves the food. This time around she is doing more of the frozen meals and loves them even more than the dry packaged or non frozen. She has diabetes so must follow that part of the program but it's been great for her so far.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that anyone can lose weight on a any structured program. The problem lies when one gets off the program. With food already prepackaged and portioned, it really doesn't teach you about portions or how to distinguish calorie counts of foods that aren't prepackaged.
    I wish you luck in the endeavor and hope that if you succeed, that you can maintain be understanding that weight regain is from over consumption of foods you actually eat on a day to day basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kamal_rk1
    Options
    Good luck! My mom started NS back in December and has been doing great! She has a lot of weight to lose but has lost 13 this past month and she loves the food. This time around she is doing more of the frozen meals and loves them even more than the dry packaged or non frozen. She has diabetes so must follow that part of the program but it's been great for her so far.

Thank you Maieranne for your reply, you really inspired me! Hope to lose the same .... All the best
  • kamal_rk1
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Let me just say that anyone can lose weight on a any structured program. The problem lies when one gets off the program. With food already prepackaged and portioned, it really doesn't teach you about portions or how to distinguish calorie counts of foods that aren't prepackaged.
    I wish you luck in the endeavor and hope that if you succeed, that you can maintain be understanding that weight regain is from over consumption of foods you actually eat on a day to day basis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you so much for your reply, I think All prepared food is good as a jump start to lose weight, And it really taught me portions and I check calories and I learned a lot, so I don't agree with your opinion!
    Thank you again
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Isn't Nutrisystem rather expensive? Does all of your food come out of a package, or do you just supplement fresh foods with the packaged foods? I like using MFP because its free and it works--twofer!
  • kamal_rk1
    Options
    Isn't Nutrisystem rather expensive? Does all of your food come out of a package, or do you just supplement fresh foods with the packaged foods? I like using MFP because its free and it works--twofer!

I saw good results with Nutrisystem on my friend, but I plan just to be on it for 2 weeks and then I will buy my meals, you get to learn about portions and calories and that's all!

• louandhad2003
    louandhad2003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Is it expensive?
  • kamal_rk1
    Options
    Is it expensive?

For a month it is $270 plus you buy fruits, veggies ... But I am just doing the jump start kit for 10 days and then on my own, I believe all these pre packed foods are really cheap in comparison to food you buy right now! Portions are controlled and you're losing weight!

• DancingMoosie
    Options
    I guess I learned about calories and portions by weighing, measuring, and logging. How will a package help you learn how much a serving of broccoli is? Or what does 35g of carrot look like?
  • kamal_rk1
    Options
    I guess I learned about calories and portions by weighing, measuring, and logging. How will a package help you learn how much a serving of broccoli is? Or what does 35g of carrot look like?

I mean for me as a beginner, I am really happy with it because I wasn't paying attention to portions.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    kamal_rk1 wrote: »

I mean for me as a beginner, I am really happy with it because I wasn't paying attention to portions.

As a beginner, you could be weighing your food using a food scale instead of relying on a company to pre-measure and pre-package your food. Nutrisystem does not teach you portion control which is why so many individuals gain the weight back when they stop eating Nutrisystem.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    If you want to use MFP's database, and not stay on Nutrisystem and packaged portions forever, you will need to start paying attention and log accurately. Its not hard, but it does take some personal responsibility. I'm guessing that you want to do that at some point, because you're here after all. Maybe I'm just a little more stingy with the way I spend my money.
  • kamal_rk1
    Options

As a beginner, you could be weighing your food using a food scale instead of relying on a company to pre-measure and pre-package your food. Nutrisystem does not teach you portion control which is why so many individuals gain the weight back when they stop eating Nutrisystem.

Thank you for your reply, will follow your advice!

• kamal_rk1
    Options
    If you want to use MFP's database, and not stay on Nutrisystem and packaged portions forever, you will need to start paying attention and log accurately. Its not hard, but it does take some personal responsibility. I'm guessing that you want to do that at some point, because you're here after all. Maybe I'm just a little more stingy with the way I spend my money.

I will check MFP, thank you so much

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you so much for your reply, I think All prepared food is good as a jump start to lose weight, And it really taught me portions and I check calories and I learned a lot, so I don't agree with your opinion!
    Thank you again
    Don't have to agree with my opinion, just look at the facts. Regardless of program, 90% of all dieters regain a significant amount of weight back. Those are the facts. Nutrisystem isn't any different where the numbers lie.
    Right now your "lifestyle" is to grab a box, heat it up in a microwave, add some fresh vegetables and wait till your next meal. What would be the difference if one went to Safeway, got a Lean Cusine, and did the same?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jk2192
    jk2192 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi People

This is KG from NY, I am 42, looking to lose 20lbs, I weight 217 now, one of my friends started Nutrisystem and he lost 12lbs in 3 weeks, I got so excited, got my jump start kit, today is my second day, I am going to do it until jan.31 then weight myself, I am not working out though!
    Add me and let's motivate each other!!!!
    Good luck to you all
    Happy new year

• jk2192
    jk2192 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am also using nutrisystem. I think it's a great way to learn portions and calories. I guess we have to put the food in our foods list. Was hoping a way to link it up.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    If the foods are in a package with a barcode, you can just scan them with the mfp app.
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use nutrisystem, it works for me. I have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for years. if you want to talk more about it PM me.
  • MustangIslandMermaid
    Options
    On day 44 of Nutrisystem/Logging in MFP, have lost 24 pounds in 6 weeks! Add me if you'd like!