Calves!

Options
...Or perhaps I should say....mature tree-trunks.

I have been blessed with ridiculously large calves from both of my parents. I feel like instead of averaging out, I got the sum of their genes here. Add to that, I was a catcher when I was young. Added to THAT, I'm heavy - so what do you get? You get the sturdiest mother f***ers you've ever laid your eyes on. And oh how I hate them. At one point they may have been an asset to my athletic career. But now they keep me from wearing cute boots. And jeans! Trying on new pants isn't just about hip or waist or thigh fit, it's also about calves. How ridiculous is that?!?

Do these things go away? If I were to lose weight (and by if I mean when), do they diminish at all? Is there anything more than just trying to lose weight I can do try to help them....lessen? Massage? Extreme stretching? Calf-ectomy?

Any thoughts? Help? Positive stories of successful calf-reductions?

Replies

• Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Ha!!!! Calf-ectomy! That should be a thing. I struggle with the same thing. I wish I could wear cute boots!!! I will say this, I have lost an inch on my calves. I've also read about people who can wear cute little boots now that they've lost weight. It's possible!!
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The actual size of my calves gets slightly larger/smaller based on weight gain/loss for me but, they are always big relative to the rest of my body. So 20lb ago they would not fit into boots even if marked for wide calves but now I can sort of squeeze into some brands of boots if they are the W type. But, the rest of me has also gotten smaller so my calves do not actually look smaller relative to the rest of my body. They might continue to get a bit smaller with more weight loss but I don't believe they will ever be actually be "normal" sized as they are mostly muscle. I've learned to just accept them. So skinny jeans will never fit or look good due to the calves but I get up hills faster than most and I think calves will never be the limiting factor to how much I can squat :D
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Yes, my calves HAVE gotten smaller since losing weight. I'm short as well, so getting boots, jeans etc to fit is a real struggle, BUT just yesterday I got my first pair of real knee high leather boots which fit. I MIGHT even try on a pair of skinny jeans..

I found that my muscular calves were actually just the first hint of what the rest of my new body looked like. I have a much more athletic build under the flab than I expected, particularly butt down.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    MokiLove wrote: »
    ...Or perhaps I should say....mature tree-trunks.

I have been blessed with ridiculously large calves from both of my parents. I feel like instead of averaging out, I got the sum of their genes here. Add to that, I was a catcher when I was young. Added to THAT, I'm heavy - so what do you get? You get the sturdiest mother f***ers you've ever laid your eyes on. And oh how I hate them. At one point they may have been an asset to my athletic career. But now they keep me from wearing cute boots. And jeans! Trying on new pants isn't just about hip or waist or thigh fit, it's also about calves. How ridiculous is that?!?

Do these things go away? If I were to lose weight (and by if I mean when), do they diminish at all? Is there anything more than just trying to lose weight I can do try to help them....lessen? Massage? Extreme stretching? Calf-ectomy?

Any thoughts? Help? Positive stories of successful calf-reductions?

You may lose a little depending on how much fat is stored over the muscle, but don't count on it. Old Navy has some stretchy jeans that fit over my calves. Buy boots half a size larger than you normally wear, the calves should fit.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA... I've never been able to wear anything but ankle high boots thanks to the tree trunks I was given for legs too :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I once saw ninerbuff suggest not moving around until your calf muscles atrophy. He seemed to believe this was the only way.

I'm with you.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    well I hear in Korea you could get some kind of plastic surgery to take off some calf muscle.... Might be slightly better than being wheelchair bound your whole life if you are that desperate :wink:
  • MokiLove
    Options
    Maybe crutches - I can stay off one leg at a time - we'll go for....3 months at a time, should help one whither away, then I can switch legs and the other will go. Since I'll have crutch support I won't be rebuilding the mass of the first as quickly :smiley:
    -
    I do think running helps some, I think it helps elongate them. I suppose I should start measuring now.

And perhaps not Korea... but maybe I'll see if they do that in India
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I came across this routine on the Fitness Blender website. It might help you :)

If you have large calves that you want to slim then you can focus on doing this routine with high repetitions on the easiest versions of the exercises.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/best-calf-workout-routine-calf-exercises-to-tone-and-shape
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Maybe crutches - I can stay off one leg at a time - we'll go for....3 months at a time, should help one whither away, then I can switch legs and the other will go. Since I'll have crutch support I won't be rebuilding the mass of the first as quickly :smiley:
    -
    I do think running helps some, I think it helps elongate them. I suppose I should start measuring now.

And perhaps not Korea... but maybe I'll see if they do that in India

elongate what?

Donate the extra calves to me.
    As much as I like my boots, I'd rather bigger calves.
  • usmcmp
    Options

If you have large calves that you want to slim then you can focus on doing this routine with high repetitions on the easiest versions of the exercises.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/best-calf-workout-routine-calf-exercises-to-tone-and-shape

You can't slim calves by doing high rep calf exercises. That's just not how it works. When you work your muscles they either get bigger, get stronger or improve endurance. That's how muscles work, even calves.
  • tiffanyking1976
    tiffanyking1976 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    At the start of winter I went to Macy's and bought a pair of booys I could not zip up. I could not wear these lovely boots for 2 and a half months... now 10 lbs later i can fit in my Guess Extra wide calf boots with a smidge of room..don't give up hope. The calves will shrivel
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

You can't slim calves by doing high rep calf exercises. That's just not how it works. When you work your muscles they either get bigger, get stronger or improve endurance. That's how muscles work, even calves.

Thank you, I'll ask the guys at Fitness Blender to change their description for this video. (I hate skipping anyway) :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Some people have calves. Some people have bulls. Embrace them.
  • MokiLove
    Options

elongate what?

Elongate the muscle - reshape it a bit. If you do short bunchy exercise movements (think tiny bicep curls with heavy weights) you get short bunchy muscles, but if you do long, full range of motion exercises, it helps keep your muscles long as well. Consider a swimmer's body versus a body builder's body. Swimmer's muscles aren't genetically longer, they're trained to be more stretched out.
    -
    Walking does not stretch out your stride as much as running does, so if my previous theory is correct, running should help elongate my calves. Maybe make them a little more palatable for me :)
  • usmcmp
    Options

elongate what?

Elongate the muscle - reshape it a bit. If you do short bunchy exercise movements (think tiny bicep curls with heavy weights) you get short bunchy muscles, but if you do long, full range of motion exercises, it helps keep your muscles long as well. Consider a swimmer's body versus a body builder's body. Swimmer's muscles aren't genetically longer, they're trained to be more stretched out.
    -
    Walking does not stretch out your stride as much as running does, so if my previous theory is correct, running should help elongate my calves. Maybe make them a little more palatable for me :)

You can't really stretch out muscles, they have set origin and insertion points. The tension on the muscles has to do with lifestyle choices to a degree. Plus, running is high impact and not going to magically stretch the muscles.

Swimmers muscles aren't stretched out. They would have a very hard time propelling themselves through the water if they were. Their muscle size has to do with the type of resistance they face in the water and genetics. Genetics is a huge factor in what sport someone does well at.
  • MokiLove
    Options
    Years of swimming coaching will not allow me to believe otherwise. We had it beat into us that full extension reps were the key to long muscles. But I'll try :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    As you drop fat, you'll drop fat from your calves too. Note that there is such a thing as intramuscular fat, so even if your calves start to feel hard as you progress with your weight loss, there will still be non-functional mass in there making them seem bigger.

You'll have some muscle development from carrying excess body weight, but over time that too will be lost as it becomes less necessary to carry your slimmer body.

As others have said, you can't change the length, shape or insertion points of your muscles. Only the size, strength and endurance.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Former shoe salesperson here, and owner of tree trunk legs. This is my jam, so maybe I can help a little.

Paying more for good leather boots (versus man-made) can really make a huge difference. Leather stretches and softens with time and use, and this is sort of a saving grace for big-calfed girls. Any good shoe store (places like Aldo and Town included) will be able to stretch boots out in the calf for you, free of charge. You could also pay a cobbler to stretch out boots that you already own, and it shouldn't be too expensive. It takes maybe two days max, and they can give you an inch or two more room. Buying boots a half size bigger might help too, but if you can mostly do the zipper up (like you only have an inch or so left) you will probably be okay. Pig leather is soft and more elastic, cow leather will take longer to relax on it's own, but it's also much more durable and has a nicer texture (imo).

There seems to be a growing recognition that not everyone has skinny legs, at least from what I've seen in Canada. North American boots (alas we will probably never wear Asian or European styles) are slowly becoming a little wider in the calf, so check out brands like Steve Madden, Sam Edleman, Kate and Mel, etc. If you like classy looking boots, Calvin Klein has a range of super stretchy man-made material boots, but imo they cost more than they're worth. There are also a lot of 'wide calf' boots out there, especially in the states (I hear), which tend to be very very wide and often have extra ankle room as well.

There's actually a lot of options if you're willing to look around and try on tons of boots :) Don't get discouraged!

Also, American Eagle has a great line of very stretchy skinny jeans. They're fantastic and become nice and accomodating after a wear or two.

My calves and I used to be mortal enemies, but I've come to accept them. If you can't change them, you may as well make them look fashionable as hell.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Uphill running, mountain biking and weights have made my calves grow big too :'( I don't know if its because a big build up of muscle or they just look bigger now that my body fat percentage is down haha, but look on the bright size big calves make your thighs look smaller ;)