girl scout cookies any cave yet?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think the cookie recipes are changing and getting worse. Plus with the cost rising It is getting harder for me justify buying them. If they go up again I won't be able to do this again =/ When I was a GS I remember when they cost $2 a box and the bitching and moaning that happened when it went up to $2.50
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Sadly, I think the cookie recipes are changing and getting worse. Plus with the cost rising It is getting harder for me justify buying them. If they go up again I won't be able to do this again =/ When I was a GS I remember when they cost $2 a box and the bitching and moaning that happened when it went up to $2.50
    Are they still around four or five dollars?

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Are they still around four or five dollars?

4$ in CT and ME
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options

They are $3.50 here.. Yes the recipes are definitely changing. :( Hubby and I always loved the peanut butter patties (tagalongs) but this year they came out and had half the peanut butter in them and just didn't taste anywhere near as good. I don't think we will buy as much next year. We bought 6 boxes this year... We'll probably buy just a couple boxes of thin mints next year.
  • svalenzeno
    svalenzeno Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I found out that you can buy boxes and donate them to the troops overseas. So, I get to support my niece, send cookies to the troops and not have to deal with cookie temptation here.... I call that a win-win-WIN!!! ;)
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My story:

O.K. everyone, this is very important to everyone on My Fitness Pal. I was watching the news tonight and saw something very disturbing that will affect us all on here. It's due to hit our area in about 2-3 weeks. I like to call it G.S.C.S.!!!!
    Now before you start go to google it, I will explain what it is. It hits every year around this time. Its not the cold of winter, or anything to do with the super bowl or even the dreaded taxes coming up soon. It's far more disturbing to all of us on here. What is it? It's Girl Scout Cookie Syndrome !
    Yep, they are back. And this year, its going to be even worse. This can set us back for weeks!!
    Who can resist the “ Mr, would like to buy a box of girl scout cookies? In one part of my mind, I am thinking, sure, support the girl's and troops, but in the other side of my mind, the dominant side, I am thinking, boy, those cookies are good and what if I don’t get them today? They may run out or they may not be here next week. Then what? I wont see them again for a whole year!!!
    So next is what do I get? Of course I have to get the Thin Mints, they are my favorite. And of course, I do like those Tagalongs, as I like peanut butter. Then there is the problem that I like shortbread and maybe I missed it last year, but this year they have shortbread and chocolate chip shortbread! Can you imagine?
    Then, the next problem is who came up with serving sizes? Really? 8 servings in a box of thin mints? Maybe for a 4 year old! To me, they are packaged the way they are for a reason. When you open the box, there are 2 cellophane packages inside. That’s done for a reason. 2 packages in a box, 2 servings, 1 for today and one for tomorrow. Any adult know that. If it was meant to be 8 servings, it would have been packaged that way.
    Then there is the guilt of the purchase. OK, so I want 2 thin mints, 2 tagalongs, 2 shortbread and oh well, throw in 2 chocolate chip shortbread. Well I cant walk away with 8 boxes of cookies. And besides, it would be pretty embarrassing asking if they take American Express. So I of course say I am getting some for my family. I can see that little girl looking at me like, yeah right, you didn’t get that fat from giving away cookies and in her mind, I know shes thinking, see you next week.
    So will I get them? Of course. I have to support the little girls. LOL
    I just want to thank My Fitness Pal for preloading all the nutrition info in already, and yes I did look and bet a lot of you will too! Just type in girl scouts, they are all there!!

There’s no avoiding it. I am thinking of doing my shopping at midnight while those little girls sleep. That’s the only way I think I can win.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I bought a box of the gluten free once, due to a wheat allergy. They weren't Thin Mints, that is for sure. :(
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 boxes and had the girl scouts send them to the troops overseas. Win, win, win...
  • paulmeiss
    paulmeiss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We bought 5 boxes, each a different variety. I had precisely 1 serving of each variety for a total of 800 kcal. Wife and kids ate the rest. Quite a splurge, but so much better than binges past.
  • CoRockChick77
    CoRockChick77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a Girl Scout Troop mom and my house is full of cookies. It can be pure torture, but I've been strong so far and have only indulged in a few thin mints. :-)
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I used to love Girl Scout cookies, but with celiac disease I'm not brave enough to try the gluten free ones they're selling now.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout cookies are super DANGEROUS. I cannot look those girls in the eye or I'll buy a dozen boxes lol
  • twins2x2
    Options
    My daughter is selling them. My mudroom is full of boxes of cookies. I've been such a good girl and haven't touched 1
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I downed a sleeve of do si dos today. Gonna have to re up. Down to two and half boxes.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    No, but I did have a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg today. It was heavenly. I think I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't care for girl scout cookies. They're just okay to me. I'm picky about cookies though. :)
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I put the Thin Mints in the freezer. That way I forget about them - and they taste even better when I remember them!
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have niece who's a GS. I bought three boxes from her this weekend.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    Options
    I got a box of trefoils (shortbread) because they looked like the best option. But I also had some Samoas because my friend was giving hers away for free....and who could say no to free cookies?!
    Well, we all know that free food has no calories, right? ;)
  • MonaLisaLianne
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I ordered 12 boxes of Thin Mints. Yes, I did. I figured out the calories per box. An entire box is only about 1,200 calories...therefore a tube is about 600 calories give or take (will figure it out exactly when the time comes) I gave two boxes to each of the kids and to the hubby - that gets rid of 8. Leaves 4 for me. I will be putting them in the freezer. And pulling them out,, one tube at a time, every so often, when I want a treat while watching a good chick flick or reading a book. 4 boxes = 8 tubes. If I use this as a 1x month special treat, I can make them last a long long time, and it won't really affect my long term goals at all. Yummo!

I like you.

So there are actually calorie/macro differences between the 2 bakeries on some of the cookies.
    I don't have all of the numbers but Thin Mints, Samoas/Caramel Delights, Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties, Trefoils/Shortbread, Do-si-dos/idr the other name, do have differences between the two bakeries. Calories, macros, and even serving sizes.

A few of the cookies are even vegan if you order from ABC Bakers. The other bakery is Little Brownie Bakery.

Hey - that is REALLY good information! thanks so much for sharing it.