How do you get the motivation to workout??

Options
Hey guys!

So as some of you will know, im on a no carbs diet (i know alot of you dont agree with it but bare with me) And its working great for me, as i only need to lose about 10 pounds. But im also aware that i need to tone up too. But i seem to have very low energy levels atm, and i work 7 days a week, some days 10 hours as a waitress. I just cant find the motivation to work out, i used to..but ive completely lost it .

I was just wondering if anyone could help? Perhaps suggest a workout i could do in under 30 mins? I really cant aford the gym, but i do have a fitness bike and running machine..

Maybe im just being plain lazy?

Please help you lovely people! :) xx

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but the low amount of energy is probably a result of the low amount of carbs, at least the way I understand it. Others may disagree.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ive said it before, i'll say it again... bodyrock.tv!

she just posted a 6 minute workout last week. they're typically 10-20 minutes long and different every day!
  • katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    Couch to 5K! its a beginner course easing you into running and its 3 workouts a week at 20 a pop.

I'm just about to start it :)
  • becauseicanhan
    Options
    Oh really, these all sound good to me!! Where can i find out more about couch to 5k from?? I would love to do it with you ! x
  • becauseicanhan
    Options
    I am aware my low carbs will affect my energy levels. But thank you :) x
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Jillian's 30 day shred is only 20 minutes per day. I like the above suggestions too, and also wonder if the no-carb is why you don't have any energy... but I'm no expert!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I did the low carb diet and had no energy. Gained all the weight back and then some. If you plan on eating that way forever I think it will work but I cant stay away from potatoes and pasta forever! Maybe a multivitamin will help?? I like my Wii Fit. You can do it as little or as long as you want. Also I do Leslie Sansone DVD's. She shows you how to "walk like a runner" I like those too.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I can't function in the exercise category if I do lo carb. But I think the couch to 5K is a good idea. A lot of people are talking about it.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Oh really, these all sound good to me!! Where can i find out more about couch to 5k from?? I would love to do it with you ! x

Google it. If you have an iPod, you can download Podrunner Intervals podcasts that literally give you the beat and tell you when to walk/run. Best program EVER!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Go here: http://www.c25k.com/

and then here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/194519-new-couch-to-5k-c25k-thread-anyone-out-there-in-week-1

:)

I strongly recommend c25k
  • jazzminx
    jazzminx Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do 30 Day Shred. The workouts are 20 minutes.

I can understand about not having energy, I'm a waitress too and I used to do the 10+ hour shifts about 4 days a week (plus being a mother of 2).
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    I hate to say it but the low amount of energy is probably a result of the low amount of carbs, at least the way I understand it. Others may disagree.

carbs is where your energy comes from...i don't think you are being lazy>>>i think you may not have enough energy to workout. i believe energy and "get-up-n-go" goes hand-in-hand.
  • Endralo
    Endralo Posts: 8
    Options
    I like getting my workouts done in the morning- I pop out of bed and start moving and it makes me feel better for the rest of the day. I actually find I have MORE energy when I start the day out with a 30 minute workout. Usually it consists of a cardio dvd and a yoga "cool down". If you're having trouble finding the motivation, I'd suggest the GAIAM dvds. Trudie Styler (Sting's wife) has some good ones like Cardio Dance--they are low impact, and perhaps good for triggering your motivation.. then as you get into something low impacts, you can move onto something with more 'umph'. For a year I was stuk on a Tred Mill.. and not seeing many results at all.. I didn't understand--I think it's because it didn't inspire me.. I was only moving a certain amount of muscles, it was boring and felt more like a punishment and less like a good time working out! -- find something, Anything that makes you WANT to move and have fun :) When it comes to working out, I think seeking out JOY is the best way to go about it, and in turn you will see results because it's something you'll stick to.
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    Definatly agree that running was a great motivator for me! I'm planning on running a 10k race at the end of July and am training for
    That now!
    Also my holiday is great motivation, wanna look good on the beach!

I will say tho that sometimes it's sooooo difficult to be enthusiastic about exercise for me, but I get up and do it and I always feel
    Good for it! Just have to get into a routine with it!
  • prudenfit
    prudenfit Posts: 21
    Options
    Jumping jacks and jump rope are good cardio exercises that can take 10 minutes. (or more for the jump rope) Do pushups, situps, just easy strength and core exercises. If you have stairs you can walk up and down those, or step up and down a chair for 10 minutes. I know that sounds ridiculous, but if you do it consistently for 10 minutes it really is a workout and works the leg muscles!
    I am not in a position to get a gym membership right now either so that's how I get my work in at home!

As for motivation, if you have an image of what you want to look like (a celebrity or athlete), you could print up a picture of them and look at it once in a while to inspire you. Or wake up earlier and do your workout first thing in the morning, to like get it over with.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself that if I workout, I can eat more (or lose faster!). The first session is really hard after a break, but I genuinely LOVE working out and I think it's mostly because I keep my routine varied-

Monday: Kettlebell class, spin class
    Tuesday: Body Combat class
    Wednesday: Strength training, Spin class
    Thursday: Swimming / Strength training, Spin class and Elliptical
    Friday: Strength training including kettlebells, Elliptical, Stationary biking
    Saturday: Swimming
    Friday: Aqua-aerobics

When I was recovering from injury I couldn't do any classes at my gym apart from pilates, so I was basically on the elliptical and stationary bike every day. I found it difficult. When my pilates broke her arm, and I had ToTM, I was having to do the SAME thing every day for a week (until totm left and I could resume swimming). Now my physio has given me the all-clear, and I can do spin and body combat and other things, I really LOVE working out and am sad if I have to miss a gym session (like today - I have a medical appointment =[). I eat carbohydrates, but only complex ones.
  • danita2000
    danita2000 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with the previous statement. Carbs are converted into enegry, so you actually need carbs, and its ok to eat carbs as long as they're good carbs. Foods like whole wheat pastas, wheat bread, sweet potatoes, ect. Hope this helps.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Current motivation? Seeing my [soon] ex-husband's face when he sees me. I'm not holding back, and I am doing all I can to slim down , and tone up. I've always been "fat skinny" and I'm not doing that anymore. no more flab..nothing. And it's working!

Probably not the most healthy motivation, but hey.

I have other motos, like fitting into my old jeans, dropping down a weight category in endurance riding, etc, too!

Also, if I say "nooo workout today!" i know usuailly it's emotional reasons why I don't want to, so I force myself to and I usually feel much better :)
  • annetten83
    annetten83 Posts: 20
    Options
    ive said it before, i'll say it again... bodyrock.tv!

Thank you so much for posting this website! I get so bored with my workouts and these are great when Im running short on time.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Before, it was just wanting to lose weight that motivated me. That was enough to make me do it every day like a habit. Now, it's so much of a habit that I don't usually need motivation to actually get up and do a workout, but things that motivate to push harder than normal are new music, new workout clothes/shoes, a new routine or challenge, etc. I definitely think that when you get to a point where you just can't make yourself do your workout, a lot of that has to do with boredom. It may be time to try something new.