Concerned...

Options
I'm so new to all of this. I'm concerned that now that I'm exercising that I'm eating too less of calories and I won't lose weight. Of course saying that I have lost 6 pounds. My diary is public if anyone wants to view it and tell me what you think. I appreciate any feedback.

Feel free to add me! :smile:

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Eat all of the calories MFP gives you in a day and spread those extra calories back in during your day. I tend to log my workouts before I go to the gym so that helps me distribute the extra calories. If you're not eating back what you burn off on those days you will NOT lose. Your body is going into starvation mode, that's why you are not losing. Weight watchers works the very same way. There's a lot of posts on here about eating back your exercise calories, and I know it's controversial but that's how you lose the pound/week and keep it off.

Me too i log my exersie in the morning and eat slightly bigger meals that day!

Also you might find this helpfull

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling like the weight is never going to come off, I always tell myself that eating poorly and not exercising DEFINITELY wont work.. it seems to give me a little bit of push to keep going with it :)
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I'll give you my take on this, but I think everyone has a slightly different opinion about it, especially when it involves exercise calories.

I try to get as close to my daily calorie allowance as I can (but still stay under) .... I try and make sure every day that I definitely eat 1200 calories. If I exercise I will eat some of them back if I'm hungry or if I fancy a bigger dinner but I don't always.

See what works for you, if you're losing weight then keep doing what you're doing, if you stop losing weight you may need to juggle things around a bit and start eating more (sounds weird - but its true)

I will continue as I am until my weight loss stops, then I'll re-think about my plan too! As long as you're aware it might need to change at some point you'll be fine!!

Well done on the weight loss so far xx
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Looking through the last week of your diary, I can tell you that most of the time you aren't eating enough. You need to be hitting at least 1200 net calories daily to be giving your body enough fuel to function correctly. Right now on the days you exercise you aren't getting nearly enough. Try to hit 1200 net or more everyday and you'll be fine.
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    I had a look at your food diary & it looks like your eating a reasonable & healthy amount of food. As long as you continue to lose weight & dont feel like the way you are eatig is unsustanable, then you should contine to do exactly what your doing. 6lbs is awsome! You will probably find that the more weight you loser, the more you'll have to play around with your calories/exercise calories etc. Good luck!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat the minimum required calories and do NOT eat back my exercise calories intentionally.

My weight tends to be very stubborn, and this practice works for me. In 1200 calories I can get a good balance of foods. I take basic supplements as well and drink plenty of water and tea.

Exercise is what puts me over the top.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    diary looks good.