No fear of commitment here! Will lose 125+ lbs to live life more fully at 40!

Options

Replies

• goofydee30
    goofydee30 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So how does this work.... Do we check on this page daily or friend you? I'm always on the quest for motivation from others . Been overweight my entire life & have decided to make a BIG change. Because i don't want my kids to experience the torment i dealt with @ this sage in their lives so we're all doing this journey together as a Family ! "Help me help you!" :-)
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @eml298‌ @goofydee30‌ How about we create a group?
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning not feeling like working out. I opened MFP and saw that someone mentioned me on this thread. I opened it was so inspired I jumped out of bed to get that workout in. Thanks all! Please let me know if you start a group. The people in this thread seem so supportive!
  • ltown414
    Options
    Hello! (: I just want to say that you are all so inspiring! Like a lot of you, my First goal weight is 199! I am 20 years old and weigh 289...I too have been on and off of mfp for a few years. I am finally trying to make a commitment! I have been feeling depressed lately as I have been trying for years to drop weight and never stick to it, and now I am almost done with college and have made no personal improvement. Trying to start my "life" when feeling terrible about myself is no way to live...I am a teacher and being over weight makes my job more difficult. When I imagine myself getting married and having children I don't imagine the body I'm in now...I am in serious need of some motivation a d determination to stick to it this time!! I'm hoping to see my number drop by my 21st birthday in June and I'm hoping to be to my goal or lower by next year!!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One foot in front of the other... the weight didn't go on overnight, it sure has heck isn't coming off overnight. Each day is a battle that I can win if I stay focused... I try not to think of winning the war (been down that path and failed too often) because it's so far away right now, but if I can just get through the day (or meal, lol) victoriously, I'm happy. I'm finally also confronting the reasons I eat and am learning to eat mindfully.

Thanks for your post and to the others who replied, lots of inspiration.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    Wow! Your enthusiasm is so inspiring! I have a similar goal - 190 lbs (haha, this just happens to be the lie I told the DMV about my weight...).

By the way, congratulations on finishing your dissertation! I am about to start law school in the fall, and I would love to hear more about how you managed weight loss with the stress of grad school.

Feel free to add me on here - maybe we can inspire each other!
  • marandaashman
    marandaashman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ltown414 wrote: »
    Hello! (: I just want to say that you are all so inspiring! Like a lot of you, my First goal weight is 199! I am 20 years old and weigh 289...I too have been on and off of mfp for a few years. I am finally trying to make a commitment! I have been feeling depressed lately as I have been trying for years to drop weight and never stick to it, and now I am almost done with college and have made no personal improvement. Trying to start my "life" when feeling terrible about myself is no way to live...I am a teacher and being over weight makes my job more difficult. When I imagine myself getting married and having children I don't imagine the body I'm in now...I am in serious need of some motivation a d determination to stick to it this time!! I'm hoping to see my number drop by my 21st birthday in June and I'm hoping to be to my goal or lower by next year!!

• lalouisiana
    Options
    Morning everyone, would love the support and motivation:)
  • scudderva
    scudderva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    With 130 lbs to lose (down 30 so far) I can use all the support I can get. Will gladly help others be held accountable if I get the same in return.

It is truly a journey but will be worth it. LETS DO THIS!
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is exactly what I was looking for. :) I started at my highest weight ever back in December at 227. I'm down to 210 and my first goal, of course, is 199. I got down to 196 back in 2011 when I lost about 24 lbs with MFP. My ultimate GW is around 150 or so, but anything under 175 would feel like success to me. I mean really, I just want to be as healthy and look/feel as good as possible. I'd love to be part of a supportive group!

Also, I'll be 39 on July 23!
  • eml298
    eml298 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    @goofydee30‌ - Good questions! First - welcome!! Glad to have you! Feel free to friend me! I think a lot of people in this thread have already friended me and each other - all the support we can get on a CONSISTENT basis is gravy! :) My thoughts were that we'd all post in this thread daily, but I am totally open to suggestion. There's the option of private messages if anyone has a personal question.....and there are apparently groups, which brings me to...

@priyaFitnessFreak‌ - ...AND your idea about at group... What does creating a group do? I'm part of one group. I just clicked in and there are various threads to choose from like in this general forum. I'm guessing there are some groups that are closed...is that right? Does being a group give us a different way to converse? Again, I'm totally open to it, but just am unaware of the benefits. Do you know? :)

@mrscapri77 - YAY!! I'm so proud of you!!! And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who appreciates being noticed and remembered, and who finds that motivating. You are an inspiration and I'm so glad to have you here, and proud that this thread helped you CHOOSE to work out this AM! Woot! :)

@ltown414 - Welcome to the fray!! Excellent idea to get ahead of this as you finish college! Awesome that you're thinking ahead and envisioning a healthier you as you approach milestones in your life! Hope is an excellent prognostic indicator (though obviously goes well with effort and commitment)! We can help with that here! We'll all keep chugging along together.

@tekkiechikk‌ - Another warm welcome! It's nice to read your reality checking statements about how we didn't get here in a day and we analogously won't get to our goals in a day...those are good reminders for when times get tough, or a weigh-in is disappointing, or you're doing your first day or two of cutting calories after weeks/months/years of overindulging. :) And, it's great that the thread is already inspiring people. So glad you're here! Let's do it!

@ChipChocolatePancake‌ - Welcome!! :) LOL @ the DMV comment. Perhaps I should a mid-term goal, too....not all the way down to 199, but certainly not where I am now! Congrats on starting law school! Good for you! Do you have any particular specialty area in mind yet, or just the whole shebang draws you in? Input about losing weight in school...I've got plenty. Ironically, I did best when I was the MOST busy. I think it was because my time was so tight, I HAD to schedule everything in to make it happen. "Free time" is often just a synonym for "avoidance time" for many people, especially me. I'd be happy to talk more about this in the future...today's a bit short timewise for me. The weekend's another story! So glad to have you! :)

@marandaashman‌ - Hi!! I saw you tried to quote @ltown414‌, but I don't see a response...did I miss it? Did you mean to say something? Come on back! :)

@lalouisiana‌ - Welcome!! Soak up all the support and motivation you want! Tell us about you! :)

@scudderva‌ - WOOT!!! Way to go! Look at you, down 30 lbs already!! We've got another success story in the making here. ;) So glad to have you. I'm more than happy to give and receive all sorts of encouragement and motivation (and prodding if needed)! :)

@Portlandsundevil - Welcome! I just moved across the country from your neck of the woods! WOO-hoo at you for already being down 17 lbs!! :) You're well on your way!! Look at all of you movers and shakers! I think this part of what you said is really the theme of this thread: "I just want to be as healthy and look/feel as good as possible. I'd love to be part of a supportive group!" We want change, and we know that support helps!

Going off of what I just said above (that support helps), I was thinking that I, and others I've known who struggle with their weights, go inside themselves for support (or inside a box/bag/carton of food). It often feels risky to appear/be vulnerable to others. Yet, look at us, doing that all OVER this thread!! YAY! :)

I just wrote this in a PM to someone, but someone else asked me about it already, so I thought I'd post this (slightly edited version) here:

I've set my caloric goals high initially (2460 calories). [MFP says I should still] lose one pound per week. However, my thoughts about why I bombed out in the past after a day or two is because I went from (embarrassingly) probably eating 3-4000 calories a day to 1500. It was too much change and too overwhelming. So, my strategy this time is to ease in to all the (really positive) change. Thus, I'm focusing on logging predominantly the first week - making healthier choices and logging. I've been making an effort to move around more at work, and plan to add in exercise this weekend. Obviously I'm trying to create accountability so I get pinged if I disappear. Once I get in a groove with exercise and logging, I'll see if I can cut the MFP caloric goal down and/or play with macros. I know I'll have to eventually, once the initial weight has come off and I get closer to my goal. ;)

All that said, I've been 300-500 cals under the goal M-W. In my mind, I'm aiming for 2000, but I NEED to be able to be under goal on MFP [meaning I feel like a failure if I don't get that message about being under my goal in my food diary]. So, I set their goal higher (2460) than the one I'm carrying mentally, giving myself leeway to eat more if the hunger catches me and still be in a caloric deficit. One benefit (probably the ONLY one) of being my current size is there's a lot of leeway in decreasing calories once they're so high. Good grief, what was I thinking? Long and short of it, I'm building in ways to succeed rather than setting myself up for failure.

Question to all for tonight:
    WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK/KNOW ABOUT CREATING A GROUP? SHOULD I DO IT? WHAT DO WE GET/SEE THAT'S DIFFERENT? :)
  • scudderva
    scudderva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New to MFP so unsure how groups work and the benefits.
  • marandaashman
    marandaashman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    eml298 wrote: »
    @goofydee30‌ - Good questions! First - welcome!! Glad to have you! Feel free to friend me! I think a lot of people in this thread have already friended me and each other - all the support we can get on a CONSISTENT basis is gravy! :) My thoughts were that we'd all post in this thread daily, but I am totally open to suggestion. There's the option of private messages if anyone has a personal question.....and there are apparently groups, which brings me to...

@priyaFitnessFreak‌ - ...AND your idea about at group... What does creating a group do? I'm part of one group. I just clicked in and there are various threads to choose from like in this general forum. I'm guessing there are some groups that are closed...is that right? Does being a group give us a different way to converse? Again, I'm totally open to it, but just am unaware of the benefits. Do you know? :)

@mrscapri77 - YAY!! I'm so proud of you!!! And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who appreciates being noticed and remembered, and who finds that motivating. You are an inspiration and I'm so glad to have you here, and proud that this thread helped you CHOOSE to work out this AM! Woot! :)

@ltown414 - Welcome to the fray!! Excellent idea to get ahead of this as you finish college! Awesome that you're thinking ahead and envisioning a healthier you as you approach milestones in your life! Hope is an excellent prognostic indicator (though obviously goes well with effort and commitment)! We can help with that here! We'll all keep chugging along together.

@tekkiechikk‌ - Another warm welcome! It's nice to read your reality checking statements about how we didn't get here in a day and we analogously won't get to our goals in a day...those are good reminders for when times get tough, or a weigh-in is disappointing, or you're doing your first day or two of cutting calories after weeks/months/years of overindulging. :) And, it's great that the thread is already inspiring people. So glad you're here! Let's do it!

@ChipChocolatePancake‌ - Welcome!! :) LOL @ the DMV comment. Perhaps I should a mid-term goal, too....not all the way down to 199, but certainly not where I am now! Congrats on starting law school! Good for you! Do you have any particular specialty area in mind yet, or just the whole shebang draws you in? Input about losing weight in school...I've got plenty. Ironically, I did best when I was the MOST busy. I think it was because my time was so tight, I HAD to schedule everything in to make it happen. "Free time" is often just a synonym for "avoidance time" for many people, especially me. I'd be happy to talk more about this in the future...today's a bit short timewise for me. The weekend's another story! So glad to have you! :)

@marandaashman‌ - Hi!! I saw you tried to quote @ltown414‌, but I don't see a response...did I miss it? Did you mean to say something? Come on back! :)

@lalouisiana‌ - Welcome!! Soak up all the support and motivation you want! Tell us about you! :)

@scudderva‌ - WOOT!!! Way to go! Look at you, down 30 lbs already!! We've got another success story in the making here. ;) So glad to have you. I'm more than happy to give and receive all sorts of encouragement and motivation (and prodding if needed)! :)

@Portlandsundevil - Welcome! I just moved across the country from your neck of the woods! WOO-hoo at you for already being down 17 lbs!! :) You're well on your way!! Look at all of you movers and shakers! I think this part of what you said is really the theme of this thread: "I just want to be as healthy and look/feel as good as possible. I'd love to be part of a supportive group!" We want change, and we know that support helps!

Going off of what I just said above (that support helps), I was thinking that I, and others I've known who struggle with their weights, go inside themselves for support (or inside a box/bag/carton of food). It often feels risky to appear/be vulnerable to others. Yet, look at us, doing that all OVER this thread!! YAY! :)

I just wrote this in a PM to someone, but someone else asked me about it already, so I thought I'd post this (slightly edited version) here:

I've set my caloric goals high initially (2460 calories). [MFP says I should still] lose one pound per week. However, my thoughts about why I bombed out in the past after a day or two is because I went from (embarrassingly) probably eating 3-4000 calories a day to 1500. It was too much change and too overwhelming. So, my strategy this time is to ease in to all the (really positive) change. Thus, I'm focusing on logging predominantly the first week - making healthier choices and logging. I've been making an effort to move around more at work, and plan to add in exercise this weekend. Obviously I'm trying to create accountability so I get pinged if I disappear. Once I get in a groove with exercise and logging, I'll see if I can cut the MFP caloric goal down and/or play with macros. I know I'll have to eventually, once the initial weight has come off and I get closer to my goal. ;)

All that said, I've been 300-500 cals under the goal M-W. In my mind, I'm aiming for 2000, but I NEED to be able to be under goal on MFP [meaning I feel like a failure if I don't get that message about being under my goal in my food diary]. So, I set their goal higher (2460) than the one I'm carrying mentally, giving myself leeway to eat more if the hunger catches me and still be in a caloric deficit. One benefit (probably the ONLY one) of being my current size is there's a lot of leeway in decreasing calories once they're so high. Good grief, what was I thinking? Long and short of it, I'm building in ways to succeed rather than setting myself up for failure.

Question to all for tonight:
    WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK/KNOW ABOUT CREATING A GROUP? SHOULD I DO IT? WHAT DO WE GET/SEE THAT'S DIFFERENT? :)

No you didn't miss any thing, before I could write anything I hit the wrong button on my phone. But I was gonna say I have a lot to lose, and I don't really get any support from my family. So I was trying to find people I could relate to and help keep me motivated
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about groups too; I have no idea how they work in MFP really. I wish we got some kind of notification about new responses in threads/groups/etc.
  • eml298
    eml298 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    <snip> I wish we got some kind of notification about new responses in threads/groups/etc.

You can!! Click the star at the top of the page (next to the title of the thread) to "bookmark" it (star will turn yellow)! You'll get notifications of posts like you get for comments to your home page! :) In my browser (Firefox), I get pop-ups telling me who posted even if I am not on the MFP tab- that's how I knew to come over! :) You can also click the yellow star at the top of the page of the community area (or your homepage) and see a dropdown of all your followed threads with number of updates.
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I started at 312lbs and my goal is 180. I am down about 74 of that - 58 or so lbs to go! I check in daily :)
  • Colleens6677
    Colleens6677 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread and I love it! I am all about motivation and having support so anyone who wants to friend me you are more than welcome! I am a daily poster and I am finding how very helpful it is to stay on track by making friends and posting on threads. I can use all of the support I can get.

My story is similar in that I lost 125 pounds 10 years ago. I did some yo yo from 190 to 225 for about 5 years and then had major back issues and surgeries which really put the pounds back on so I literally gained every pound back! But 3 weeks ago I started again and I'm down about 19 pounds. My first goal was to get under 300 so yippee! Now it is to get under 290 and so forth. 175 is my ultimate goal and I can use all of the help and motivation I can get! Looking forward to getting to know and support others! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  • Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I too am turning 40 this summer and I refuse to start another decade unhealthy. I need all the support I can get and will give it as well!

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    turned 37 last month, 231 (started at 250) lbs as of this morning and am working on losing smaller amounts of weight on the ticker instead of a giant number staring at me and feeling like its not moving! 6 more pounds, and my current ticker will be halfway done! LOL! IDEALLY id be love to be 120ish, but 150 and im good too! LOLOL! shoot, at this point id take under 200! BAHAHAHAAAAAA

i happily invite friends who are active users who are supportive and participate/ have fun!
  • alettep
    alettep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will be 42 this summer & share some of the same goals. Love any extra support I can get~thanks for the inspiration!