How can I eat healthy in college?

Options
My university's healthy options are quite limited, so I try to keep healthy snacks in my dorm room. But I'm having trouble finding good, healthy snacks that will keep for a long time!

Right now, I have lots of carrots, string cheese, yogurt, and unsalted nuts. What kinds of healthy snack foods can I get to keep in my room that will last & not go bad right away??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    almonds and/or other nuts, jerky, trail mix, apples, peanut butter...just a few things that come to mind.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In addition to the snacks you keep, you definitely will also need meals sometimes! Most university dining halls have healthy options, if you ask around for them. I actually lost like 15 pounds my first semester of college because I was obsessed with the salad bar, and they had take-out containers if you asked for them-- so I'd grab a dining hall salad to have in my room for dinner later.
    Usually the cooks can also make plain items-- chicken or veggies with no sauce, etc.
    Do you have access to a dorm kitchen or hot plate? Eggs are an easy-to-make healthy snack that keep a while, as are frozen veggies.
    Apples and oranges last a while. You can buy little pre-portioned hummus cups (great for dipping baby carrots!). Jerky or deli meats are good for protein, but very salty.