Losing hope

Options
I am only 21 years old and very overweight. I keep veering away from this app unintentionally and I am living on a tight budget so constantly shopping for healthy food or food in general is out of the question. I don't feel like I can do this. Nothing seems to work. :(

Replies

• ruckerdemarkias
    ruckerdemarkias Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If possible buy some multivitamins to get most of your nutrients such as vitamin c and d, also iron and calcium. And for the rest of the day just try to stay within your nutrition goals that are set for you, you don't have to eat perfect just do what you can and strive for the goal!!!!!! I know you can do it, you just have to believe in yourself!!! good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered "shopping the outside aisles" in the grocery store and I have noticed a big difference in my grocery bills. I save even more money by shopping at the produce market. I realize that is not an option in a lot of places, but it's great if you can do it. All of the healthy stuff is on the outside aisles in the store. I am finding myself going into the inside aisles less and less. Also, crockpot cooking is another way to save money.
  • littlebee55
    Options
    I have recently discovered "shopping the outside aisles" in the grocery store and I have noticed a big difference in my grocery bills. I save even more money by shopping at the produce market. I realize that is not an option in a lot of places, but it's great if you can do it. All of the healthy stuff is on the outside aisles in the store. I am finding myself going into the inside aisles less and less. Also, crockpot cooking is another way to save money.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I don't think this is a bad strategy, but I'd hate for anyone to think it's a hard and fast rule to be healthy. There are a ton of good, cheap staples in the aisles. Tuna, beans, rice, frozen veggies, just to name a few things I would miss sticking to the perimeter.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It is not impossible at all.
    How often is shopping constantly for food? If you plan carefully you can shop less often. Look up once a month cooking or freezer meals. Look up the shelf life of different foods to find foods that last longer.
    Eat the most perishable fruits and vegetables first. Buy frozen or canned fruits and vegetables.
    You don't have to change what you eat and drink dramatically but just stay within your calorie limit to lose weight. You do that by eating/drinking less high calorie items. Eating less should save you some money.
    Portion food out right away. Weigh and measure what you eat. Don't eat from containers mindlessly.
    Use what you buy. Planning your meals will help you reduce waste.
    Cook from ingredients and you will get more from your money than buying premade meals. Make a pot of soup and have it all week.
    Drink mostly water. Save your calories and money for food.
    Dry beans and lentils are cheap and healthy. Oatmeal is cheap. Get some eggs.
    You can eat simple things like yogurt, sandwiches or cereal. You don't have to cook every meal.
    Some of us find it pretty helpful to prelog our meals or even our whole day. You might try that.
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised how much I have saved since starting eating clean. I rarely use my car, carry only what I can home from the supermarket and don't spend money on wine.. Way less money spent on petrol and food, we'll rubbish high calorie processed food. Only you can change you.
  • littlebee55
    Options

I don't think this is a bad strategy, but I'd hate for anyone to think it's a hard and fast rule to be healthy. There are a ton of good, cheap staples in the aisles. Tuna, beans, rice, frozen veggies, just to name a few things I would miss sticking to the perimeter.

Oh, yes. I absolutely agree with you. I still go inside the aisles, but it's just for those types of things and cleaning supplies, frozen vegetables, etc. I pretty much stopped buying frozen dinners, canned soups, etc. But there are many days I don't venture in. I should have been more specific :-)
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I spent 4 dollars on food for a day when I was broke. I bought a carrot, yogurt, and a bar of some kind....
  • BaileyRoshau
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • Colleens6677
    Colleens6677 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Don't give up. There are lots of ways to save. You don't have to buy organic or really expensive items to eat healthy. Just try making changes slowly and cut out eating out if you can. That saved me tons of money!