Will peanut butter hinder weight loss?

Options
I love eating apples/bananas with peanut butter, but I'm curious as to how detrimental it can be to weight loss. I know it has a lot of calories, but also protein & good fats. Also, a 2tbsp serving size is RIDICULOUS! I could easily eat a few spoonfuls of the stuff... Any advice? Should I limit how many times a week I eat it?

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Caloric surplus will hinder weight loss. Not 1 single food but all foods combined throughout the day.

Yep.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy peanut butter often as I stand in the kitchen with my big ol tablespoon and eat it out of the jar.
    Peanut butter alone will not make you gain weight, going over your calorie goal will though.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It's always fun when you get a spoonful of peanut butter because you're under your calories . . .and then end up over your calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's always fun when you get a spoonful of peanut butter because you're under your calories . . .and then end up over your calories.

Haha been there, done that!!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything will hinder weight loss. CICO.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Just work it in to your daily calorie allotment. No problem.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So long as you're within your calorie goal, it is fine. Can I suggest you weight it rather than use measuring spoons (if you aren't already)?
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Goodness, if this were true I would have never lost weight. I looove peanut butter. Weigh that stuff though!! =)
  • ecleggin
    ecleggin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try smooshing mini chocolate chips in with a spoonful of peanut butter!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I watch my portions of fat but I don't eliminate them. They so help with satiety. Great staying power. Not to mention all the fat soluble vitamins.
  • calla86
    calla86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure you weigh it because, for me, the 2 tbls measured is much more than one serving if you actually weigh the grams out. I eat peanut butter and celery almost every day as a treat as long as I have room in my calories and I keep losing. But make sure you weigh or you will probably be eating more than you think.
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    Like said above, a calorie surplus will hinder weight loss, not peanut butter. Having said that, I don't keep peanut butter at home because I'm currently eating 1,200 calories/day and I cant justify using up my calories on peanut butter when I could use the equivilant on something more fibrous and filling
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It hasn't hindered mine. I don't eat a whole jar at a time, but I routinely have a serving here & there with fruit, on rice cakes, etc. I think apples and peanut butter is a great snack--for me, it's better than apples alone, because the fat helps keep me satisfied, where the apples alone would leave me hungry. If anything, I think a little bit of peanut butter (or similar) eaten strategically here and there has actually helped my weight loss rather than hinder it, because it keeps me from getting so hungry that I binge on worse things.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like almond butter a lot more than peanut butter (I don't eat legumes)...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to eat half a jar of Natural Peanut butter 2 or 3 times a week and this caused weight gain. I now eat about 4 tablespoons a couple of times during the week (Jif All Natural) and it fits in my macros...

Moderation is the ultimate key!

PS: If you like Resee's peanut butter and chocolate, it is now in a jar and it is fantastic! My new indulgent.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I buy my peanut butter in 1kg tubs and it didn't hinder my weight loss.

But would recommend weighing how much you eat and not going by a spoonful. I'm an expert at getting lots on a spoon!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you stay with your calorie limit you could eat whatever you like and lose weight.

Get used to eating a smaller serving of peanut butter. Stop thinking it is ridiculous or whining about having to eat less.
    Eat more peanut butter but eat less other food. You might not be happy with that but if you love peanut butter maybe you would be thrilled.
    Don't eat peanut butter. If the calories for the amount you can fit in your day don't seem worth it then just don't eat it.