Question about suggest calorie intake?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can shed some light on what I'm experiencing. Originally when I started MFP a few years ago I was eating the suggested calories to lose 2 lbs a week. I was eating 1200 calories a day and experienced weight loss due to a very strict diet and exercise. This was very difficult for me to maintain. So after taking a break for a while I started using MFP again but changed to lose 1.5 lbs a week and I am now eating 1600 calories a day. I am now in a place that I feel comfortable with eating 1600 which originally was difficult....so with that said. Do I change my calorie intake to say 1400? Or do I stay the same for a while. I really don't want to go too low because it's hard for me to maintain and then I give up. Any suggestions would be great :) thanks!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight eating 1600 cals?
  • Ellasdream
    Ellasdream Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well done on making a positive change in your life :-) I feel like if 1600 is feeling good, why change? Stick with it for a while and see if you get results. If you don't see any changes in a month, then re-evaluate. Have you calculated your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)? Just make sure you eat at or above this. Good Luck on your journey!!! :-D - Amelia
  • brandi077
    brandi077 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Ellasdream‌ Thank you so much for responding :smile: I think I will take your advice and keep going with 1600. I feel good at this number, and anything else might make me want to give up. Thanks again for your kind words, and good luck to you as well!!!
  • brandi077
    Options
    @Ellasdream‌ also I didnt know what my BMR is, and I just calculated and feel much better about the number I am eating :)
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I would not drop below 1600 if you can help it. Do you exercise daily and is that being taken into consideration? I'm all for hitting a total calorie deficit of an absolute max of 500-600 calories a day as this is more manageable without leaving you famished.
  • brandi077
    Options
    @PurpleYFronts‌ I do not exercise, I work 10 hour days and attend school for 5 hours a day. I am trying to be more active if this snow would ever stop falling and I could get out more. So I should still be able to lose at 1600 calories a day? It feels like now that I've been doing it for about 8 weeks that I am getting too comfortable at that number. Or is this what dieting properly is supposed to feel like because I'm not starving all the time ?
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You should not be starving at anytime, just cut out unnecessary snacking and high calorie foods that are more a response to emotion than actual hunger. Dieting is more about sensible , healthier choices than eating a severely reduced calorie deficit. That can't be maintained and ultimately leaves the individual feeling miserable and deflated. Eating should be enjoyable and fulfilling
  • revival15
    revival15 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, tried the whole 1200 cals a day with strict diet and fitness. I was able to do it for almost a year but in the long run, it wasn't sustainable for me either. I came back and I am losing at 1980 calories a day, I am losing a bit slower but I feel better and I am able to eat more variety and more than mostly greens and 'diet' food. I recommend doing it for at least a month before re-evaluating your calorie intake if you aren't losing. Mentally, it seems to be better for you so keep it up, good luck!
  • scottlarry123
    scottlarry123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1600 calories is hard to live off of realistically..Even though your not exercising your body is still burning alot of calories just by working 10 hrs a days and 5 hrs of school. Rest is a key factor to fitness!! I would then say based on your schedule you're not getting enough rest!!! Try to eat more based on the hours you are awake. It will alow your metabolism to do the work for you!!! Hope I could be of help!
  • Ellasdream
    Ellasdream Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    brandi077 wrote: »
    @Ellasdream‌ also I didnt know what my BMR is, and I just calculated and feel much better about the number I am eating :)
    Awesome to hear. Fingers crossed it works out for you :) xx