Calorie Intake

Options
Kendall2006
Kendall2006 Posts: 124 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have seen many posts out there where there are members that doing a 1200 calorie intake. I don't understand why so low. I have always been told in order to lose you need to eat the calories that you have calculated based on your personal information but burn at least more. If you eat less than needed, then your body is not getting all the nutrients you need. Some may have specific reasons for eating so low. But I feel that if you eat less than you are supposed to your body will store the foods going in and then you get frustrated when the scale doesn't move. This area I believe should be more explanatory to all. An example would be me. I started at 2100 calories as I worked out 6 x a week and did HIIT cardio workouts. But since I am set on low cardio workouts now, I have reduced my calories down to 1731. If I were to switch to 1200 calories, I know that I would cheat constantly regardless if I logged it or not. Then I would be disappointed in myself. I just want to put it out there to make sure you all are accounting for the right amount of calories to intake daily.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have seen many posts out there where there are members that doing a 1200 calorie intake. I don't understand why so low. I have always been told in order to lose you need to eat the calories that you have calculated based on your personal information but burn at least more. If you eat less than needed, then your body is not getting all the nutrients you need. Some may have specific reasons for eating so low. But I feel that if you eat less than you are supposed to your body will store the foods going in and then you get frustrated when the scale doesn't move. This area I believe should be more explanatory to all. An example would be me. I started at 2100 calories as I worked out 6 x a week and did HIIT cardio workouts. But since I am set on low cardio workouts now, I have reduced my calories down to 1731. If I were to switch to 1200 calories, I know that I would cheat constantly regardless if I logged it or not. Then I would be disappointed in myself. I just want to put it out there to make sure you all are accounting for the right amount of calories to intake daily.

Except if you are short and older like me
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I set my calories at 1200 because that's what the "calorie calculators" suggest. I find that I have yet to stay at or below my 1200 goal. It is discouraging to always go over by 2 or 300 almost every day. Even at this rate I am still losing weight, so not sure I am weighing or measuring right.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I was set at 1200 by my body type and lifestyle. I can not exercise so much due to my inability to sweat which cause me to overheat and my heart to race to unsafe levels during strenuous exercise. I manage to eat just fine and stay under 1200.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For my age, height (5'7"), and lifestyle (and frame for that matter), maintenance is a little over 1500, so I eat less than 1200 calories. I eat a very healthy nutrient dense diet though, so I manage just fine with staying satisfied and content because I can eat a high volume of food due to it's natural tendency to be low-calorie (ex. raw veggies!).

I figure, if you compared my nutrient intake to many who eat more calories than me, I come out ahead health wise.

When I finally get to maintenance phase, I don't necessarily plan to eat much more in quantity (my digestive system likes my lifestyle!), but I will add a little more nuts, seeds, and avocados. :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Except if you are short and older like me

The bolded covers this...