Getting nervous about weight loss...anyone else???

Options
So I have been on my journey for 7 weeks, thus far I've lost 10lbs. As I feel and notice my body change, I get a feeling of anxiety. I'm afraid to fail. I feel like it's possible for me to lose weight and for some strange reason that scares me. Do you have this experience and how do you cope?

Replies

• elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get worried aboutt finally losing the weight and then gaining it all back. That has happened so many times in the past. I plan on doing MFP forever bc I used to lose the weight then get back into old habits. All the weight would come back plus some.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason why you may want to hold onto the extra weight? Deep down, sometimes we use the weight to protect us in some way, which may contribute to your anxiety.

I know for myself, it was changing into a different person. Every 20 lbs or so, I had to say "good bye" to the old me, and welcome the new me. As weird as this sounds...I dont know, I felt like I really had to work on the emotional side of things during this journey so I would not sabotage myself (which at times, I did)

Journal, Journal and when you are done - journal some more!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't think about the scale weight so much? I weigh every day and log it, because it's a useful gauge of progress, but I've always spent more of my time thinking about what I'm doing for my health by losing the weight and improving my fitness rather than the pounds I've lost.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I get nervous too. I weigh every Monday and am anxious that some how I have failed for the week and I will start gaining again. However, I am consistantly loosing. The gradual loss is a bit unnerving because I feel it is on a razor's edge all the time unlike a bigger rapid loss that would feel more like a confirmed success for the week. I must tell you though that I have NEVER had such great success as I have this time. I know that these actions I perform daily and make into habits (logging before eating when possible, planning meals and logging snacks or treats before consuming, trying to stay under calorie goal, exercising daily and always checking my honesty in these areas) are helping me achieve steady results even with little slip ups on the way.

What has helped me cope is dealing and acting in the moment and recognizing when I am close to making a questionable decision. I am starting to act when that little voice prompts me to make the better decision and then do it. For example, yesterday my boss stored extra bags of chips in my cabinet area left over from an employee appreciation lunch and I wanted to grab a bag everytime I looked at them. I decided when my hand was reaching to grab some to stop and take all the bags to another location where I wouldn't be tempted. That is a small example, but was more importantly a small victory. Acknowledge your small victories and recognize your positive progress as "proof" that you ARE moving in the right direction. You can do this. Good luck!!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    My only nervousness is centered around what my 45 year old saggy boobs and belly will look like after 105 lbs is shed. The boobs were never perky to begin with but now...well...yeah. but hey maybe Victorias Secret will actually have bras that I can get the girls into!

Otherwise I am excited and am looking forward to the new me who will be able to shop without looking in the Plus Size section or having to go to Lane Bryant...I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!
  • Ahsim24
    Ahsim24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you may want to hold onto the extra weight? Deep down, sometimes we use the weight to protect us in some way, which may contribute to your anxiety.

I know for myself, it was changing into a different person. Every 20 lbs or so, I had to say "good bye" to the old me, and welcome the new me. As weird as this sounds...I dont know, I felt like I really had to work on the emotional side of things during this journey so I would not sabotage myself (which at times, I did)

Journal, Journal and when you are done - journal some more!

I guess being overweight is all I know. I don't know a slim me. I always dreamed about being a smaller me I never thought that the reality would scare me.

I have thought about journaling I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help!
  • Ahsim24
    Ahsim24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone!