Just Dance?

Options
Hello, everyone.

To workout, I normally either walk for a long time, but more often, I do a session on Just Dance on Kinect. The inside of the game tracks your burnt calories. Does anyone know how accurate they are?

I've noticed that songs that are in Workout mode exert more calories, etc, but never quite know how accurate they are.

Also, does anyone else use their Kinect for this?

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I played Just Dance a lot a few years ago. I actually think it's a good introductory workout if you've been mostly sedentary for a long time. The calorie counts, as I recall, were ridiculously, unrealistically high, though.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would probably log it as a low impact aerobic program.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I agree with both posts above mine.. I do Just Dance quite a bit for workouts, but I have not seen where it posts the burns on there, but my guess would be that it estimates quite high as well. Before I got my FitBit HR I used to log it under Dancing in MFP.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love Just dance! I also use the nike trainer that came with the Kinect and I trust the calorie count on the Nike game because they match my fitbit rather closely. I never checked the calories on the dance game tho so I don't know how helpful this is.
  • elphabawicked18
    elphabawicked18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The difference between Just Dance and Dance Central is crazy, though. 20 minutes with DC is like - 70 calories, but with JD is 150. And I feel like I'm working out a lot more, too. I wanna get one of those Zumba games for Kinect, though :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Just Dance, but I do do Zumba - also regular ballet, barre and Latin dance. I wear an hrm to track my burn.
  • elphabawicked18
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Just Dance, but I do do Zumba - also regular ballet, barre and Latin dance. I wear an hrm to track my burn.

That is super cool. I wish I had the coordination for ballet. :D
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    sure about Just Dance but I was using Dance Central and the calorie burn displayed on the game was far less than what I was actually burning. I invested in a polar heart rate monitor which has been far more accurate.
  • elphabawicked18
    Options
    cokefloat1 wrote: »
    sure about Just Dance but I was using Dance Central and the calorie burn displayed on the game was far less than what I was actually burning. I invested in a polar heart rate monitor which has been far more accurate.

Yeah, Dance Central is like, 3 calories per song. It doesn't give much. :)

I think I'll get one of those Zumba games. Anyone have experience with them?
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba for the Wii also.. its fun, but hard to keep up with for a beginner. I think that it burns tons of cals.
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think I'll get one of those Zumba games. Anyone have experience with them?

I am challenged in the coordination/rhythm/timing area but I LOVED my zumba rush when i was doing it. I never counted exercise calories, and dont have a hrm, but that almosy daily with my calorie deficit allowed me to drop 35lbs in 2 months or so (which i picked right back up after falling off the wagon).
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My first posting!!! Anyway.....
    I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week now for a 8 mths. I definitely feel my endurance has dramatically improved in that time. One morning I couldn't get to gym so I put on the just dance and did it for 45mins. I figured anything was better then nothing. Wow was I surprised how much I had sweat and struggled to keep up !!! It said I burned 250 for the 45 mins.
    I just got the fitbit charge hr band, which I love, but still figuring out. I've only done the JD once in the 4 days of owning it. My hr was elevated throughout and it said I was in a fat burning zone the whole time. So I feel it was pretty accurate. If your hr is up, your sweating, you're making a good attempt to do all the moves... I think it can be accurate.
    Not sure any of that helped.
    Funny I have been telling all my Friends to do there kids just dance game cause I thought it was a good workout supplement.
    I've got my nieces and son doing it too with me.
  • elphabawicked18
    Options
    Thanks, @lavrn03!

Yeah, I always break a sweat doing it :) It's super enjoyable.

I don't think I could handle gym going for that long :D Congrats :)