.5lbs a week or 1lb a week?

Options
Hello,

Just a quick question.... If I am trying to lose the 15-20 pounds what should i set my goal. When I say this i mean what is the reality of losing the weight is it at .5lbs a week or 1lb a week?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The reality? You set everything up for losing 1 pound a week and then hope you actually lose 1/2 a pound a week.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with .5lbs/week myself. It makes it so you don't miss out, get frustrated because your hungry and give up.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, but i think do what you think is manageable.... depending on the calories you think you can eat, and if you know you can stick to 250 calrories below go for it!!~ (because then you know your not setting yourself to 500 calories below and feel bad if you go over).. ^.^
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can always try setting it for 1 lb/week and see how you do. If you're too hungry, change it to .5 lb/week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Either would be fine, you may want to change it manually to something in between. i.e. add 100 cals to what it says when you put in 0.5 lbs/week
  • madonifer
    madonifer Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great thank you guys for your help :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Just so you know you can change the calories and MFP will calculate the expected rate of loss - mine is at .7/week.
  • madonifer
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Just so you know you can change the calories and MFP will calculate the expected rate of loss - mine is at .7/week.

^ Really I had no idea. How do I do that?
  • madonifer
    Options
    Nevermind I just changed them. Thank you
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    madonifer wrote: »
    Nevermind I just changed them. Thank you

You're welcome :)

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    This is a good article but if it's too long to read, check out the table near the end, for ideas on how to pick the right deficit FOR YOU. :)
    http://evidencemag.com/fat-loss-deficit/