Slim fast?

Options
I have been drinking slim fast in the morning for breakfast. But I recently got some Jillian M Choc whey protein on sale ($5!) And was wondering if it was alright to swap and have a protein shake for breakfast instead? Even on my days that I dont work out?

Replies

• justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Slim fast are fortified so make sure you are getting enough vitamins if you swap. I'm not a nutritionist so I can't really advise you but I would say just make sure you get enough vitamins, if you become iron deficient or b then you can end up feeling really tired etc.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    just eat real foood , less of it and move more ! quick fixes don't work in the long term you stop using them go back to real food and putit all back on and then some as i said "just eat real foood , less of it and move more ! "

good luck on your journey!
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I usually take a prenatal vitamin but lately they make me have HORRIBLE dreams. Im not pregnant BTW.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    just eat real foood , less of it and move more ! quick fixes don't work in the long term you stop using them go back to real food and putit all back on and then some as i said "just eat real foood , less of it and move more ! "

Agreed.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is sooooooooo full of sugar and has very little protein; protein is what keeps you full. Trade in the Slim Fast for sure!!!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Slimfast has a bad press...but it does contain a lot of your required vitamins and minerals. I can't eat in the morning, I see it again if I do (even yoghurt) so usually wait until around 10am before I eat but on the days when I have to be out the house early and there is not another chance to eat until afternoon I will have a slimfast as I can hold down a drink...it keeps me going for several hours without hunger striking early whereas going hungry til afternoon would leave me with no energy whatsoever.

With any "diet" you will put the weight back on if you go back to eating the way you were (yes even doing it the MFP way, have a look at the forums for the returners) so learning portion control etc is the key so if you are confident that while drinking your slimfast and/or whey drink you are learning I see no problem in using them. I'd say you're fine to switch a slimfast for a whey shake but do watch the vitamins etc...make the food that you do eat count for more.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I agree. I've been on this weight loss journey for decades now, with mixed success. Every single time I've tried Slim Fast or any other meal replacement plan, I've had success for several weeks, but always, always, wound up gaining back more. When I learned how to eat the right number of calories and nutrition (focusing on fiber and protein), not only did I lose weight more consistently, but I didn't have the swings I used to have -- and I actually enjoy eating, rather than feeling deprived (most of the time)!

I know this wasn't your question, but had to chime in with my thoughts. =) Best wishes.
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Im just not a big fan of breakfast food. and would much rather drink something instead. I dont see the harm in that. Even when I wasnt on a "diet" I wouldnt eat breakfast so im seeing the slim fast as an improvement.
  • dawn131982
    dawn131982 Posts: 2
    Options
    In my opinion if you don't like to eat your breakfast then don't. Protein shakes are a great replacement for any meal that you don't have time to sit down or eat or simply just do not want to eat (as in your case). I would suggest if you have time to add stuff into your shake and make it a delicious smoothie such as a banana, peanut butter, strawberries, flaxseed, wheat germ... the list is endless! I would be lost without my oatmeal with flaxseed and soy milk in the morning!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    RTD's are a good quick fix in my opinion but I traded them in for Whey protein power (ON brand) eventually. I take supps in the morning that cover any vitz I may miss from the SF RTD.

From time to time I still drink a SF if I am in a pinch. They taste ok too.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Huzzah! More good advice! Nice to see!