Feeling lightheaded on 1200 calories a day

Options
My target is set at 1200 calories and I am generally either hitting that or going over by around 100 - 200 calories. I have been losing weight (7lbs in 3 weeks) a bit quicker than I thought I would. I'm exercising moderately and if I'm hungry I eat because I can't bear being hungry. I always eat back my exercise calories.

However, since I've been logging I've been generally feeling quite woozy. I'm woozy now but not hungry. Anyone else find this? Do you get used to it? Or, is this not usual and maybe I'm lightheaded for another reason that happens to have come on as I've started cutting back what I eat. Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1200 calories might be too low for you. Did you set your goal to losing 2 pounds per week? I would probably change it to 1 pound.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more! It'll make your weight loss slower but that's much better than feeling lightheaded.

Also make sure you're drinking enough water. I used to not eat or drink anything before getting on the train to work and would occasionally suddenly feel faint and nearly collapse. Once I started having a drink (even if I didn't eat) before leaving it didn't happen again.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I would up your calories a little for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Not sure what your stats are but I am 5'6" 230 lbs. And I usually eat between 1400-1525 @ day. I've lost 14 lbs since Jan 25 (MFP says 11 but that's a lie lol)
  • ajithajoseph05
    Options
    Gosh, I've just started my program and target is also fixed at 1200 calories, hope I don't feel woozy. I always fall off the rails after I start a good eating program...then I regain weight and am back to where I started...hope the tracker will keep me going this time.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Just eat more. The object is to lose fat, not obliterate lbm and make yourself sick in the process...
  • FatSunshine
    FatSunshine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Very happy to do this slowly so will up the calorie intake. I'm 5'4.5" and weigh 158 lbs at the moment - so not got loads of weight to lose. Been advised by my doctor that I should try and get my BMI back into the healthy range - but I don't see that there is a rush to do this!! Like I said, I didn't expect to lose as much as I did so quickly - but I know that some of that is water.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I set my goals through MFP to lose 2lbs a week, and was having trouble sticking to it. When I joined WW (more as a mode of accountability for weighing in), and I converted the MFP info to points, it's plan gave me about 300 more calories. So that's my range. MFP for low end, and WW for high end.

If you're feeling woozy, regardless if you're feeling hungry or not - try eating something and if you feel better, then you know that's the key. I remember several times feeling woozy or feeling like if I was nauseous and couldn't eat anything, but once I did I felt worlds better.

Also, make sure you're getting enough balance of protein (slow, long digestion) and carbs (short digestion). So if you're hungry, make sure you have both protein and carb - for the immediate (carb) and the long term (protein).
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Try using this calculator to figure your calorie and macro intake. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ It is working well for me. I'm steadily losing 1.2 lbs per week. (I do not eat back my exercise calories)