Learn Your Burn: Calories in Yoga Classes

Options

Replies

• lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Thanks loads!

I am starting a Hatha Yoga class tonight, total newbie, have no idea what to expect. Really only doing it to increase my flexibility rather than burn calories. But it's good to know it does that too :)

Does anyone know anything about Hatha Yoga? Can give me a bit of an insight?

Thanks xx
  • rfoshee
    rfoshee Posts: 6
    Options
    Take a watch and HRM, you'll get an accurate number of calories burned rather than relying on a calculator that may or may not be accurate.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I wore my heart rate monitor to both yoga classes I go to, and just use those measurements every time I go now. Hatha I burned around 165 calories. The other yoga only 112 calories.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hmm... I'm not a yoga buff--- but I do this yoga class at my community center called "yoga flow"... I don't have a HRM but I guess low, around 200... I sweat the whole time but nothing to get my heart rate up to high... I don't really care thought about the cals burned. I do it to get a good stretch and get my mind on the "present"... :)
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Well of course an HRM is the preferred method but ya know, not everyone has one or can afford one so this is for those folks.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am ever so thankful to have a HRM. My Yoga burn is not very high at all. If anything it brings my heart rate down so far I might actually quit burnign calories. *giggle* I don't care though it helps get my mind where it needs to be, my body stretched, and it is great to just ground my self throughly.

This is good information to have! Thank you! :heart:
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    Well of course an HRM is the preferred method but ya know, not everyone has one or can afford one so this is for those folks.

I just got a really nice HRM for about $72. It is the Polar FT4. I know $72 is still a decent amount of money but I wanted to let you know there are some more wallet friendly versions out there then the usual $100-$200 model. I think I also saw some for about 50 but they don't tell you the calories burned. You would have to calculate that on your own.