TGIF and beers with coworkers

Options
My boss is taking my coworkers and I out for drinks after work. I'm planning on having a couple beers (or 3 or 4...) but I don't want to ruin my calorie intake for the day. is it okay to eat less and "drink" my calories, or is this asking for trouble? should I just accept the fact that it will put me over for the day?

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If I have something coming up like this I'll often eat less during the day so I can fit a few drinks in later. I don't think you're asking for trouble unless you make a regular thing of it. You could also make up for it tomorrow or over the next couple days by eating a bit less.

Also, you could go over for the day and continue on, and it won't be the end of the world. :)
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just be careful drinking on an empty stomach, the beers can hit you quicker/harder. Personally I'd take the hit to the calories going over than increased impairment.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Just pick you beers smart. High quality, delicious craft beer can have over 200 calories per bottle, where as something like Guinness has only 125. Light beers can go from 100-120, and the ultralights are even lower. I personally skip the beer and drink vodka with a zero calorie mixer. It allows you to have more drinks on less calories so that way you can also get something to eat. The issue with drinking is rarely the calories from the alcohol. It's that many people stop caring about their calorie goal once inebriated. It's going to be quite a bit easier to eat all the temping foods that are at a bar once you've had a couple drinks. For that reason, I usually try and find a way to also fit food into my plan if I'm going to have alcohol.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat less in order to drink more-- I'm skipping lunch today in order to have some beers tonight! The tradeoff is worth it for me. Something a lot of bars will do (if you ask, because sometimes it isn't on the menu) is pour you a half pint. I do this often because mentally, this somehow makes me drink less because I've still gotten up to go to the bar 6 times, but only drank 3 pints total. Have fun!
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Drinking on an empty stomach can lead to some not so great consequences. If you think you can still behave in an appropriate way in front of your boss then go ahead and do that. For myself....drinking on an empty stomach just makes me feel super crappy and I don't think I could get drunk in front of my current boss.

I really enjoy craft beer and like another poster said...they can pack a huge calorie punch so if I know I'm in for a night of good beer drinking I just enjoy myself and know that on the couple days before/after I can either eat a bit less or exercise more to make up for it, overall.

If there's no way to eat less/exercise more to make up for it I just make peace with the fact I'll be over, don't beat myself up and have a good time. Messing up for one day, even if you totally blow your calorie limit isn't going to handicap your weight loss journey. It's just not something you want to do consistently.

My opinion is that I never want my desire to lose weight to cause me to be unhappy while hanging out with friends and family. I want to have a balanced and healthy lifestyle and I think it's possible to do that without denying yourself the things you love.
  • sdado1013
    Options
    thanks all for the great advice and insights! and please keep them coming! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Of course it is.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If it's something that doesn't happen every week I would just up my calories to maintenance for the day. You won't undue any of your progress with one day at maintenance.
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here - I would watch the intake because IMO being drunk with coworkers is not a good idea, and bar food on top of the beer - also not great -
    Can you put a 2 beer cap on it?
    That said one night will not kill you...
    For me recently I went to a farewell for one of mine and after 1.5 beers I said something really dumb I already regret :) I left early because I had to, but also because I didn't want to derail on the bar food - but that's just me - I may be coming off uptight here... but I also like to have my indulgences more with personal friends to choose my spots...
    Have fun!
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One other thing - I find that the next day after heavy drinking it's not so easy to get the motivation to work out... take some advil before bed!
  • sdado1013
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm planning on having 2
    Beers with coworkers but I'm going out with a friend tonight too and might have a couple more then. So not planning on drinking too many at once. I will make sure to get some food in my belly too.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Just pick you beers smart. High quality, delicious craft beer can have over 200 calories per bottle, where as something like Guinness has only 125. Light beers can go from 100-120, and the ultralights are even lower. I personally skip the beer and drink vodka with a zero calorie mixer. It allows you to have more drinks on less calories so that way you can also get something to eat. The issue with drinking is rarely the calories from the alcohol. It's that many people stop caring about their calorie goal once inebriated. It's going to be quite a bit easier to eat all the temping foods that are at a bar once you've had a couple drinks. For that reason, I usually try and find a way to also fit food into my plan if I'm going to have alcohol.

If you choose to drink vodka, be uber careful...vodka on an almost empty stomach can lead to many bad decisions. And don't drink and drive.

Oh and you may find that your tolerance for alchohol isn't quite what it used to be, and that you may be good with only having one or two drinks.

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Vodka isn't really different then any other alcohol as far as alcohol content. 1 vodka shot = 1 glass of wine = 1 beer for the most part. It's just that the vodka has less calories. I don't see how 2-4 vodkas needs any more or less care then 2-4 beers or 2-4 wines, or anything else really.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd aim for slightly smaller meals. But also not aim for a deficit. If your goal is 1 pound per week, that's a 500 deficit per day. So if you have an extra 500, then you're eating at maintenance. No harm in that occasionally. Be mindful of other actions though - such as extra snacking. Beer & chips, peanuts, etc. go hand in hand.

I don't care for beer personally but do enjoy flavored vodka in diet soda from time to time. Caramel vodka in cream soda: Awesome!
    sdado1013 wrote: »
    My boss is taking my coworkers and I out for drinks after work. I'm planning on having a couple beers (or 3 or 4...) but I don't want to ruin my calorie intake for the day. is it okay to eat less and "drink" my calories, or is this asking for trouble? should I just accept the fact that it will put me over for the day?

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Some alcohols seem to have bad reactions for some people. Not sure if its physical or mental. I know someone who avoid Grey Goose Vodka, someone else who is anti-rum...
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Vodka isn't really different then any other alcohol as far as alcohol content. 1 vodka shot = 1 glass of wine = 1 beer for the most part. It's just that the vodka has less calories. I don't see how 2-4 vodkas needs any more or less care then 2-4 beers or 2-4 wines, or anything else really.

I guess it's just me...but 2 vodka drinks have a completely different effect on me than 2 beers...but the bartenders by me are very generous with their pouring.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    IN, for beers after work with co-workers/boss :drinker:
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I guess it's just me...but 2 vodka drinks have a completely different effect on me than 2 beers...but the bartenders by me are very generous with their pouring.

I don't think it is just you, my hubby can drink 7-8 beers (he drinks the craft style microbrews) and be almost completely sober, 2 mixed drink or a glass of wine and he's totally hammered. He rarely drinks, and never drives after have more than 1 beer. For what ever reason his body metabolizes beer differently.
  • chemlabdoc
    chemlabdoc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would always log whatever I'm going to eat/ drink before I do it. If you go over you know in advance.