What about multivitamins? Do they actually work?

Options
Can you guys advise me a good multivitamin brand or tell me which one you use it and if it has a palpable impact on your energy?

Thank you :)))

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I don't take a multi anymore - my doc recommended B,C and D for this 'stage' in my life. The only one I notice a change from is D and that's because I have a deficiency - if I don't take it I'm tired all the time and also crabby. I recently added in one capsule (half dose of fish oil) for the heart, joint and mental benefits. So far so good. May be best to consult with your doc, though, they most often believe you should try to get your required nutrients out of what you eat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin because it is required of post-bariatric patients due to known malabsorption issues. I'd eat a carb for instant energy.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    same here. Cheap insurance. I don't think they "give" you energy, as much as solve issues with micronutrient deficits.

I am lactose intolerant and see no sun during the winter - vitamin D becomes important. YMMV.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I take one "just in case" but I'm honestly not sure if I'd be impacted much without it. I just get the store brand.

Me too. I don't believe anything I take will make a difference, but ensuring that my body has enough micronutrients can't hurt. (Actually it's possible to OD on some, but not at my levels). The more fit I get the more energy I have. Bottom line.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Not sure I really understand ..... Multi vitamin help you get nutrients that may be missing in your diet, they dont GIVE you energy. That being said, I'm a 47 year old runner, I take joint support and it does really help. I'm also very thin so I take extra Calcium to prevent osteoporosis (which is common for people with my weight and bone structure)
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you have vitamin/mineral deficiencies then yes, they can help, but unless you have a very restricted diet or a relevant medical issue it's pretty unlikely. I used to take them just incase too, but certain vitamins (such as vitamin A) don't simply flush out if you don't need them and instead can accumulate leading to health issues of their own. Overall unless you have an actual need to supplement something you're lacking in, it isn't worth any potential consequences (or the money).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D - improved immune response, bones.
    Omega 3 fatty acids - lower blood pressure, prevent blood clots.
    These are the only two I would recommend to a healthy young red-blooded male.

I think vegetarians should take a multivitamin as some fat-soluble vitamins are just too hard to get through vegetable sources.
    Calcium - had a bone scan done? Are you at risk of osteoporosis? If not, don't worry.
    B vitamins - body won't store surplus these water-soluble vitamins so any excess will be peed out of your system. Most are readily available in whole unprocessed foods. So I say eat them.
    Folic Acid, Iron - for women only.
  • louminouche
    louminouche Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use Solgar - they are a high grade brand, hence the price. I use their multi vitamin and complex Vit B. It works for me - feel better when I take them.