After running every day for a year, is it now time to start running every other day?

Options
So I've been running every day for a year. I've never missed a day. I've been running for 30 minutes per day at 6 MPH. I am a 34 year old male.

However, I don't want to destroy my knees. So I was wondering if it's now time for me to start running every other day instead of every day so that way I can give my legs a chance to rest.

On the days I don't run, I want to start doing push-ups and pull-ups/chin-ups so that way I can do some form of exercise every day.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Are you having knee problems now? If not there's no arbitrary reason to switch to every other day. Your running volume has not been that much each day.
    However adding push ups and pull ups is never a bad thing. I would also not neglect your legs totally just because you run. You should still add some strength moves involving them.

And generally one would go the reverse route that you did. Running every other day and then increasing to daily after your legs become accustomed to the workload.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your knees. The main reason to cut back on running would be to start resistance training which has a lot of benefits.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing any issues then there is no reason to stop running every day, although without some more structure and objectives I can see it getting pretty dull. Personally I don't like sessions as short as 30 minutes as I never really get properly into it bfore I'm winding it down again.

That said, some form of resistance training will help your performance and help your injury risk mitigation as well.

I'd suggest using a structured bodyweight plan, rather than arbitrary exercises, to help your progression.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing any issues then there is no reason to stop running every day, although without some more structure and objectives I can see it getting pretty dull. Personally I don't like sessions as short as 30 minutes as I never really get properly into it bfore I'm winding it down again.

That said, some form of resistance training will help your performance and help your injury risk mitigation as well.

I'd suggest using a structured bodyweight plan, rather than arbitrary exercises, to help your progression.

This is me totally. I don't plan to do a run unless it is mileage that I know I will be out there longer than 30 minutes since I takes me about 9-10 minutes to really get in the zone. I personally don't run every day due to the cross training that I am doing to help with my running. Even during my training cycles I am running about 3 time per week (long, med and short).
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    My knees and legs are starting to get sore, so it's becoming a pain (literally) to run every day for me.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Yes. Cut back.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    So I've been running every day for a year. I've never missed a day. I've been running for 30 minutes per day at 6 MPH. I am a 34 year old male.

However, I don't want to destroy my knees. So I was wondering if it's now time for me to start running every other day instead of every day so that way I can give my legs a chance to rest.

On the days I don't run, I want to start doing push-ups and pull-ups/chin-ups so that way I can do some form of exercise every day.

In an entire year you never tried to run any faster?

Unless you already have knee problems, there is no reason to avoid running as much as you like.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

In an entire year you never tried to run any faster?

Unless you already have knee problems, there is no reason to avoid running as much as you like.

Well, I built myself up to 6 MPH as the months went on. When I first started last April, I just walked the first month. Then after the first month, I started to jog. Every couple of weeks I'd go up like .2 MPH. Once I get up to 6 MPH I stopped going faster.
  • lexielainex
    lexielainex Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wait until you start having issues to change what you're doing. Most of the time when you start getting chronic knee pain its a bit too late. I think you're only the right path with trying different exercise on the other days. I would also suggest to start cross training. Swimming and biking are good forms of cross training.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you like running:) Do you like any other forms of exercise? As far as I know, it is better to change up your running schedule and not do the exact same run each day. For example, you might do a quick short run 1 day, a slower longer run another day, and then a medium speed intermediate distance run the third day. Other options would be to put in some hills or speed drills. For the other days, swimming, biking, or strength training would be good options. Push-ups and pull-ups are good strength exercises, but you are missing out on many muscle groups if that is all you do. Look into some body-weight exercise plans or into a beginner weight-lifting plan (lie StrongLifts 5x5) depending on what kind of equipment you have available. Try to find something that will be a full-body routine. I do power lifting 2-3 days a week and try to run 2-3 days and/or circuit train 2 days.