Tell me the right thing to do :)

Options
So I am 3,859 calories under my weekly goal.
I'm using MFP.. Lose 1 lb a week & calorie goal is 1,680. I always eat a couple hundred under every day. I also workout 5 days a week (lifting, HIIT) but I don't use MFP exercise calories. I log it myself but I underestimate calories burned & I don't eat them back.

SO, my question is.. I can/need to eat most of those 3,859 calories back??

Every other weekend I go out (when I don't have my son) so I really did this on purpose to "save" calories for a big night & not go over weekly. I've read where a lot of people do that.. like saving money!.. I just need reassurance ;) I don't want to hurt myself!

Don't get annoyed, ha.

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat them all back as long as that keeps you at or under your weekly goal.

I think that is what you were looking for. Not sure.
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. if your under that many calories and you try to catch up so to speak, that means one day is going to have 3800 calories more than the rest of the week. BTW the my fitness pal guided set-up is crap, especially with lifting and HIIT thrown in the mix you'll just have to find which macros work for you
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Great planning!
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i think everyone's results on here are different. If you save calories for the end of the week, and eat them and still lose weight then you should be good. If not then adjust accordingly. For me, I believe MFP is a tool that all use differently unlike a set plan. It's not a diet as much as it is a way to maintain a healthy life. If it were just a diet I would have left a while ago. I reached my goal but use it to keep me maintaining and focused.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely

Have fun
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've saved calories like this successfully many times, though not that much. I think the most I ever saved was 600 over my daily limit. Never had a stall or problem doing it. Have fun!

If you weigh yourself everyday, you will see a small spike in the first couple of days after the overeat, then a drop back to normal. I always figured it was due to the increased sodium intake with the pizza and beer or restaurant food, thus putting on some water weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you using weight steadily on your current plan? Then you've found the right balance. If you aren't losing weight, eating all those calories back on the weekend will set you back. All the formulas in the world don't hold a candle to experience.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yep!

Although: If I'm reading this correctly, you save 3,859 calories per week, for two weeks, to spend on one night? If so... there's no way you eat that (7718 on top of what you're supposed to eat in that day) in one night. (One whole weekend off plan, maybe.)

So if that is correct, then you actually have a lot to play with. You could continue to not eat your exercise calories, but actually eat to your daily goal otherwise (rather than 100 or 200 under, as you say). You could even probably eat like half your exercise calories back.

(This is all assuming your tracking is more or less accurate.)

Basically: Yes you can "save" calories to use later. But no need to save thousands more than you're going to use.
  • Kjs_
    Kjs_ Posts: 5
    Options
    Yep!

Although: If I'm reading this correctly, you save 3,859 calories per week, for two weeks, to spend on one night? If so... there's no way you eat that (7718 on top of what you're supposed to eat in that day) in one night. (One whole weekend off plan, maybe.)

So if that is correct, then you actually have a lot to play with. You could continue to not eat your exercise calories, but actually eat to your daily goal otherwise (rather than 100 or 200 under, as you say). You could even probably eat like half your exercise calories back.

(This is all assuming your tracking is more or less accurate.)

Basically: Yes you can "save" calories to use later. But no need to save thousands more than you're going to use.

Oh no! Not two weeks.. :) Just this week. This is the first week I've done this because I knew my plans for tonight. My dinner tonight when I go out will be about 1,500 by itself & then who knows! But I ended up with this huge deficit.

I get enough protein & carbs through the week. All I can think about though (& why I'm even asking this) is with a big deficit like this I'm doing more harm than good??? I work my *kitten* off during my workouts!!
    I'm trying to find a balance with being flexible & eating in moderation. BUT next week will be a "normal" week.. No plans.. So I will eat to my goal & some of my exercise calories.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I think it's fine. Or I hope so anyways because I do it too. I need lots and lots and lots and lots of extra calories for wine.