Low Carb and PCOS

Options
Hey All,

I've posted before elsewhere but I've come to realise the changes I've made are NOT working. HELP!! Has anyone tried a low carb diet to lose weight with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). I'm hovering around the 106 to 108 kilogram mark as I have for the last eight years or so.

I can't look at myself in a full body mirror anymore. I hate clothes shopping as I just grab a big size I know will cover the spare tyre and get out as soon as possible.

Can anyone give me ideas? I've cut out pasta and bread almost entirely, I haven't had a soft drink in nearly a week and I'm cutting out take out and processed foods as much as I can. I also haven't had a cigarette in 27 days (yes I'm counting). I'm drinking more water and I am building up my exercise. So what am I doing wrong?

HELP! Cheers. :\

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Closed diary so we don't know what you're eating etc. I do hear of people succeeding with carbohydrate restriction and PCOS - less than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been doing low carb for a while and I've found the most common pitfalls are portion sizes being too big (yes I'm a low carber that believes calories do count) and not eating enough fat. I've also found too much of the following foods can cause stalls: cheese, heavy cream, nuts, and avocado. Everyone is a little bit different so it takes some trial and error to find the foods that work best for our bodies. Also, some of us have a stronger metabolic resistance than others so it takes a bit longer to see results.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary for some ideas.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    As LowCarbHeart said, calorie counting still matters with low-carbing.

If you open your diary, we can give you some suggestions.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I focus on eating moderate carbs from high fiber whole grain sources and vegetables. Every time I eat carbs I combine it with small healthy high protein food. I, like almost all people with PCOS have insulin resistance too. So this is more about keeping a balanced insulin level by not eating things that make me fluctuate. This is similar to paying attention to the glycerin index of foods. For me it is not about what I cut out from my diet but what I do eat, combined with what and how frequently. I also eat every 2-3 hours...just tiny meals. I end up still getting 30-40% of my calories from carbs then plenty of fat and protein. Almost no sugar.

On low fat low carb or just low calorie high carb diets I often have a frustrating lack of progress. Keeping to this I melt away. I am only hindered by my own will.

A good book on this is The insulin resistance diet: new and revised. It is written by a couple of Mayo Clinic doctors and has a lot of good advice that applies to eating with PCOS.
  • amyashworth98
    amyashworth98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Cheers everyone. Will check out that book sandryc70.