squat gurus ... preference?

Options
I work out in different gyms (work, home). I have been doing squats in my home gym for a few weeks now - have also started doing deadlifts - feeling very accomplished actually, as it did take some courage.

Today, during lunch at my work gym, I didn't feel like running, so I did my strength workout instead. The squat rack was totally different. It was a machine that has resistance and is attached to the bar as you squat. I wasn't crazy about it - felt I couldn't squat down as far as I do with a free barbell. Maybe that means my form is off on the free barbell though. Didn't think so ...

I'd like to know your thoughts about the difference, because I don't trust mine. I am too new at this to have a preference, I think.

Thank you.

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Stick with the free weights -- you will build core strength much faster and they are actually safer than using the Smith machines -- those machines force you to use unnatural positions and will not allow you to squat deep enough.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    Stick with the free weights -- you will build core strength much faster and they are actually safer than using the Smith machines -- those machines force you to use unnatural positions and will not allow you to squat deep enough.

This is what I expected to hear, and I appreciate it very much. It felt very unnatural, but I'm not sure I'm qualified yet to say what is natural. :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Smith machines are terrible, steer clear
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Smith machines are terrible, steer clear

Thank you very much!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Smith machines are only good for hanging towels.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I dunno, calf raises in absence of the proper machine, and those funny inverted pushups are both quality uses of the smith.

The only quality uses....
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I dunno, calf raises in absence of the proper machine, and those funny inverted pushups are both quality uses of the smith.

Exactly what I use them for.

• 4leighbee
    Options
    so glad I asked!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I use the Smith machine for body weight rows. That's all. I wonder if those are funny inverted push ups? I bet they are same thing. Anyway, works great. Use the regular squat rack for squatting. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Do you get under the bar, toes to god, heels to the earth and then pull chest or stomach or face to the bar? Then yeah, those are those funny inverted push ups. lol.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me, once you go free weights, you really don't want to go back. I HATE doing squats on the smith machine, and I only do them when my trainer makes me.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me, once you go free weights, you really don't want to go back. I HATE doing squats on the smith machine, and I only do them when my trainer makes me.

Me too I don't think they are the same animal, I think smith machine squats are like leg press sure they can build some muscle but i doubt anywhere near as much as the real thing.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    In this gym, they only have the Smith machine and then a low to the ground rack for a bar to use for deadlifts or other things - you wouldn't be able to position yourself properly under it for squats. Well ... I wouldn't ... I will definitely just save my strength workouts for home and leave my city gym for running and other stuff. Thanks everyone.