Do you think he is right???

Options
My husband told me that the only way I am going to start losing weight is if I totally jump-start my system and work out for 3 hours a day for awhile. I am thinking if I keep working out sensibly (I go to gym 3 days a week and do 40 min of running and weight machines; and work out 3 days at home doing exercise bike, Jillian shred and kettle ball for about 1 hour a day) and eating 1300 calories a day without eating exercise calories back I will eventually see results. I started MFP a 15 days ago...saw a 3 lb weight loss quickly then gained 2 back but I am thinking that is just from the change in diet/exercise.

I should mention that the reason he believes this is that it is hard to lose weight because i have Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) and insulin resistant.

Thoughts? I am depressed thinking I am going to have to work out for 3 hours a day to see any results.

SW-173
CW-171
GW-140
5'7"

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No.

Calories in vs. calories out for weight loss.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    No, sorry, but do NOT try to workout for 3 hours a day! For pete's sake, you only risk injury. Then you can't workout at all!

Have you met with a nutritionist and your doctor? I'm not giving any specific advice here but lots of people who are insulin resistant respond well to a low carb diet. It has worked wonders for me.

Keep doing the workouts you're doing now and experiment with your diet.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    No.

^this. While thyroid issues might make it a bit harder calorie deficit still rules weight loss
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if he's right. In your position, I'd go to my doctor with these questions/concerns. If you've already done that, what did they say?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    No.

^this. While thyroid issues might make it a bit harder calorie deficit still rules weight loss

Yep.
  • procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid as well. And I lost my first 10 pounds with little to no extra activity. You don't have to work out crazy hard for 3 hours straight. I think finding a routine that works well for you is key! And of course calorie counting :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    With the greatest of respect, your husband is wrong. Sounds like you're guaranteed to burn yourself out in a week or two tops! If you have questions about how your health conditions will affect losing weight I'd ask your doctor. From my understanding they will make this harder and you may need to be quite strict with your logging, but CICO will work! Best of luck :)
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    No, sorry, but do NOT try to workout for 3 hours a day! For pete's sake, you only risk injury. Then you can't workout at all!

Have you met with a nutritionist and your doctor? I'm not giving any specific advice here but lots of people who are insulin resistant respond well to a low carb diet. It has worked wonders for me.

Yes---- I see an endocrinologist and have for the past 5 years. I have always been very fit and losing weight has been easy until two years after having my last child. No change in anything but weight crept up. It has been hard for me because I am used to being thinner. But, although it IS a lot harder to lose...I am determined to keep trying and doing my best. At least I will feel better!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Cking1162 wrote: »
    My husband told me that the only way I am going to start losing weight is if I totally jump-start my system and work out for 3 hours a day for awhile. I am thinking if I keep working out sensibly (I go to gym 3 days a week and do 40 min of running and weight machines; and work out 3 days at home doing exercise bike, Jillian shred and kettle ball for about 1 hour a day) and eating 1300 calories a day without eating exercise calories back I will eventually see results. I started MFP a 15 days ago...saw a 3 lb weight loss quickly then gained 2 back but I am thinking that is just from the change in diet/exercise.

I should mention that the reason he believes this is that it is hard to lose weight because i have Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) and insulin resistant.

Thoughts? I am depressed thinking I am going to have to work out for 3 hours a day to see any results.

SW-173
    CW-171
    GW-140
    5'7"

No, he's wrong.

To lose weight you must eat less than you burn.

To gain endurance, do some cardio.

To gain strength, do some heavy weight lifting.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen, endurance and strength start in the gym (or wherever you choose to do those activities).

Weight loss is not linear, weight fluctuations are normal. You need to give it time.

There are some people here who have thyroid problems and who are insulin resistant who will probably pop in to give encouragement.

In the meantime, talk with your doctor and ask him to refer you to a nutritionist who specializes in your medical conditions.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

SW-173
    CW-171
    GW-140
    5'7"

I have PCOS and thyroid issues, and I lost the majority of my 160 lbs without exercising at all. Unfortunately, when I started, places like MFP weren't around, so I thought if a little was good, more was better. I ended up with an eating disorder by working out too much and not eating enough. Your current workout schedule sounds more than sufficient. Weight loss happens more from diet than from exercise. Exercise is more about health. And if you just jump in and immediately start doing 3 hours, it's just asking for an injury.
  • Cking1162
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

thanks...I will work on cutting the carbs more!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Your husband sounds like an idiot. Does he have any science to back up these outlandish claims? Right, didn't think so. Listen to a doctor, or certified trainer or registered dietitian, if you're going to listen to anyone. I'm going to make a wild assumption and bet your husband is none of these things.
  • Cking1162
    Options
    Yes, I have met with doctor, endo, nutritionist....and my husband is a doctor (but this is not his field!)
    I am going to press on and work on cutting out carbs more. (My downfall!)
    I usually can stay on target but it does get really frustrating to see nothing happening. This is why calorie restriction has failed for me in the past. I will eat what I want and be the same weight as when I count my calories.
  • Cking1162
    Options
    Your husband sounds like an idiot. Does he have any science to back up these outlandish claims? Right, didn't think so. Listen to a doctor, or certified trainer or registered dietitian, if you're going to listen to anyone. I'm going to make a wild assumption and bet your husband is none of these things.

Actually, he is the smartest person I know. Honestly. And..he is a doctor (but not in this field)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

No he doesn't. He sounds misinformed.
  • Cking1162
    Options
    procolorer wrote: »
    I'm hypothyroid as well. And I lost my first 10 pounds with little to no extra activity. You don't have to work out crazy hard for 3 hours straight. I think finding a routine that works well for you is key! And of course calorie counting :)

Awesome...gives me hope!
  • Cking1162
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

SW-173
    CW-171
    GW-140
    5'7"

I have PCOS and thyroid issues, and I lost the majority of my 160 lbs without exercising at all. Unfortunately, when I started, places like MFP weren't around, so I thought if a little was good, more was better. I ended up with an eating disorder by working out too much and not eating enough. Your current workout schedule sounds more than sufficient. Weight loss happens more from diet than from exercise. Exercise if more about health. And if you just jump in and immediately start doing 3 hours, it's just asking for an injury.

thank you --this helps a lot!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    No, he is not right.
    Burn more than you eat
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I don't care if this isn't your husbands field, he should know that three hours a day of working out is not a bright idea at all. Sounds like he has different motives to me ,but that's just my opinion. He gave you terrible advice and it lacks common sense .
  • Cking1162
    Options
    Thank you all! I feel better about it. Slow and steady and hopefully....I will get there eventually.
    I am ok with the slow weight loss...I want something I can do for life.