Hitting a plateau

Options
how much did you all lose before hitting a plateau with your weight loss?

Replies

• mikelanthorn
    Options
    17 pounds. I need to change it up...
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure where I hit my first plateau... I remember though after I hit around 40 pounds lost it got much more difficult to get weight off. So I changed how I ate again, tried new foods, began eating less premade things and became more of a cook. I noticed my plateau had a lot to do with my sodium intake and the fact that my body was used to my exercise plan now. So instead of walking for an hour I ran more during that hour, I tried different types of cardio, introduced weight lifting. I'm now sitting at 72 pounds lost after 215 days of logging. I fluctuate a bit because I like to drink my beer lol. I'm hoping to lose 29 more by July for my one year.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    130 pounds lost in 18 months without a plateau. I steadily lost about 2 pounds a week (I was 120 down exactly one year from the start), then purposely slowed down my weight loss as I transitioned to maintenance and trained for a half marathon.
  • Hugo414
    Hugo414 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 when I plateaued then after tracking what I ate and my workouts/calorie burn plus Intermittent Fasting the weight just melted off I ended up losing 80 more pounds! Hang in there you will find a way.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    30lbs. I'm trying to break it now. I've been thinking of trying intermittent fasting.
  • liviaish13
    liviaish13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It might be a silly question but, what is intermittent fasting? dwozniak16 do you stay within 2300 mg of sodium a day or have you cut back from that amount? I have tried cutting back on my sodium but it's everywhere! I stay within 2300 mg and drink abt 8 bottles of water a day. I started cutting back on the water thinking maybe I was retaining to much water! Thanks for all the advice yall!
  • dragyou
    dragyou Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Play with ur macros.. Maybe lower your carbs
  • Cheyenne_Burke04
    Options
    28 lbs, plateaued and then My Sister in law (weight loss buddy) got pregnant and in all the excitement I sort of just forgot about My goals and just can't get My fire back. :(
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    38lb - with some small bumps but noting that usually didn't start again after a week or 2 - been at this weight since before xmas and now starting to really annoy me!! started swimming twice a week to see if that will jump start it - here's hoping :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I hit my first plateau at 6 months and 55 lb lost. It lasted 3 weeks. 3 months later and another 25 lb gone, I had another 3 week plateau.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you say plateau? I only ask because a lot of people use that word, and it's been a stall of only a few days or a couple weeks, and that isn't really what one is. Also, are you truly weighing/measuring everything you are putting in your mouth? Have you reassessed your calorie intake?

I hit a plateau at around 70 pounds lost that lasted 4 or 5 months. However, when I was finally honest with myself, I had gotten lax about logging, and wasn't including everything in it, like I should. Once I got back to doing that, and making a slight decrease in my caloric intake, (the first one since starting this journey) I started losing again.

52347977.png
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    liviaish13 wrote: »

98lbs
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The first fifty pounds. I got so discouraged that I gained back 15 or so. From there, if it stalled, I was okay with maintaining for a while before getting back into it. As of now, I'm at 76 lost overall.
  • rox4012
    rox4012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 pounds per month for a 6 months period (May - October). However, since November I been hovering at the same weight. I think it began as a plateau, but after a couple months i just got discouraged and lost focus. Winter hit like an 18-wheeler, i had added stress from being the only parent while my husband went to his home country for two months, then hosted my parents for a month or so while they relocated. I turned to food too many times. I am determined to get back to work now. My first goal is to lose 6 pounds by end of March.
  • fhillberg
    fhillberg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks in and for the first 5 weeks I had lost 14lbs witch I know is a awful lot to loose in so little time but now I'm on my 6th week and haven't lost a thing do you think that I have hit a plateau?
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You may look at it a little differently, rather than asking how much weight you lost, you may want to look at it as a percentage? Each person is going to have a different starting point. If you start at 200lbs and someone else starts at 150lbs, there is going to be very different results. That might be a little more telling and may be interesting?

However, to answer your question and add my spin on it. I started to stall at 30lbs lost, which is a little over 11% body weight lost. I got comfortable and sick over the holidays and have maintained the same 5lbs for the last 2 months. I still log, I still watch my intake, but I can honestly say, I'm not being as dedicated as I was in the beginning and my gym days have gone down due to schedules, but I will remain focused and it will come off in due time.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    fhillberg wrote: »
    I'm 6 weeks in and for the first 5 weeks I had lost 14lbs witch I know is a awful lot to loose in so little time but now I'm on my 6th week and haven't lost a thing do you think that I have hit a plateau?

No! No!! No!!! A weight-loss plateau is defined as no change in body weight for at least 3 weeks. One week is NOT a plateau.
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As epido said, "What do you mean when you say plateau?" My conjecture is that daily, weekly and even monthly weight variation due to factors other than calorie deficit is too great compared to expected weight loss to accurately discern a true "plateau" over any period less than a month or even longer. I have been using MFP since last May and have lost 50 lb (1.2 lb/wk on average). I have tracked my weight and net calorie intake for 286 consecutive days. Say we define a plateau as a period of 7 days over which my weight did not decrease. That is, my weight was the same or greater than it was a week earlier. That occurred on 90 of the 286 days. If I lengthen that period to 14 days, my weight over two weeks did not decrease on 52 of the 286 days. Even if I lengthen the period to 28 days, I saw no decrease 11 times. My conclusion is that, since I lost weight consistently (but not monotonically) over the 286 days, it would be wrong to label any of these as "plateaus."

The factors other than actual calorie deficit that come into play include random and systematic measurement errors in body weight and in food and exercise logging, and less-controlled factors like hydration. It would be an interesting if a study could be done to estimate the magnitude of these errors using the MFP weight, food and exercise diaries.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!