Daily Activity question

Options
2»

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I plugged your numbers into Scooby's Workshop TDEE calculator (put your age at 24 as I didn't know it) and put 3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week and it suggests you eat 1785 to lose weight (you would not eat back exercise cals using TDEE method). You could try something like that, though you shouldn't really lose any faster eating more, but for some reason some people find that it works.
    I am 5'4 and 167ish right now and have my cals set to 1700 and don't eat back exercise cals. Scooby recommends 1900 or so for me, but 1700 allows for mistakes in logging. I'm losing easily.
  • missar
    missar Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much Ana for all of your help I appreciate it so much :) I think I will adjust my activity settings and see how it goes with the fitbit.
    Thank you so much also Mystic for passing on that info, I am 32 in a few months and I had no idea that kind of thing existed, so I will google scooby's and learn more about it :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When you use an activity tracker, you should have yourself set on sedentary and enable negative adjustments.

That's not how they work (or not all of them). I am set to lightly active and have a tracker with negative adjustments enabled, and if I don't reach the minimum threshold for the "lightly active" qualifier then I get calories deducted. Most of the long-timers here harp on being HONEST about your actual activity level, and stridently say that "sedentary" is almost NEVER an appropriate choice. Well, being honest about your actual activity level is great advice and it goes across all the tools (MFP, trackers, etc). Using a tracker can help you confirm your activity level; and yes, setting it to sedentary and letting it do all the math work is one way but it is far from a "should" type of requirement.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    When you use an activity tracker, you should have yourself set on sedentary and enable negative adjustments.

That's not how they work (or not all of them). I am set to lightly active and have a tracker with negative adjustments enabled, and if I don't reach the minimum threshold for the "lightly active" qualifier then I get calories deducted. Most of the long-timers here harp on being HONEST about your actual activity level, and stridently say that "sedentary" is almost NEVER an appropriate choice. Well, being honest about your actual activity level is great advice and it goes across all the tools (MFP, trackers, etc). Using a tracker can help you confirm your activity level; and yes, setting it to sedentary and letting it do all the math work is one way but it is far from a "should" type of requirement.

Who says that?

I have discovered that in order to achieve sedentary I need to count at least 2500-4000 steps on my fitbit ...my chronically lazy and overweight former self got nowhere near that by having a desk job and a personal divot on the sofa moulded to my exact body. I actually believe lots and lots of people are sedentary ...probably more than think they are

Not that I disagree with the rest that you've said ...I've found sedentary with negative calories enabled motivates me ..also the fact I is that 10K steps earns me the same as a 45 minute hard workout in calories. I'm not sure active would as much because I might find it unachievable on a daily basis ...but that's my psyche
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb I'm not disagreeing with your point either - I'm disagreeing with Lis's statement that the OP "SHOULD" do it that way. I was told that when I first started, and I've seen it over and over (and over and over). I can't give you specific names of "who says that" because I don't keep a log book, but it is one of the major things that gets trotted out when people complain about how their intake goal is so low and unachievable - "what is your activity level set at? Be honest about it! Set it to lightly active and you'll get more calories to eat."

I may be an outlier, who knows. But I'm just as motivated to ensure that I don't have calories deducted no matter what my base activity level is set at.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Who says that?

I have discovered that in order to achieve sedentary I need to count at least 2500-4000 steps on my fitbit ...my chronically lazy and overweight former self got nowhere near that by having a desk job and a personal divot on the sofa moulded to my exact body. I actually believe lots and lots of people are sedentary ...probably more than think they are

Not that I disagree with the rest that you've said ...I've found sedentary with negative calories enabled motivates me ..also the fact I is that 10K steps earns me the same as a 45 minute hard workout in calories. I'm not sure active would as much because I might find it unachievable on a daily basis ...but that's my psyche

I can vouch for this too. I am LOWER than sedentary belive it or not. I have mine set to sedentary and on an average work day, I burn 120 calories less than "expected" at that level for me. I'm lucky if I get over 2500 steps in an average work day. So for me, Sedentary is even too high. That being said, I burn about 1800 calories per day, so even if I set my goal to a 1 lb loss per week, I can still eat 1300 calories per day.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I may be an outlier, who knows. But I'm just as motivated to ensure that I don't have calories deducted no matter what my base activity level is set at.

I agree. You don't "get" to eat more by changing your activity level in MFP, you get to eat more by increasing your actual activity. Separately from my weight loss goal, I wanted to increase my activity level and settled on 14,000 steps as the amount I could reasonably walk in a day while still doing everything else I wanted to do. It seemed silly to keep my setting at sedentary when every day I was getting a few to several hundred extra calories from the Fitbit transfer. It just seemed to make more sense to more closely match my goal intake to my goal activity. The negative calorie adjustment can be really harsh if I have a low activity day, but it reminds me that my real goal is to meet that daily activity, not sit around and just eat less that day.
  • missar
    missar Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for that further info everyone. It is much appreciated & helps immensely. I have decided to stick to being truthful about my daily activity and leaving it at lightly active
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb I'm not disagreeing with your point either - I'm disagreeing with Lis's statement that the OP "SHOULD" do it that way. I was told that when I first started, and I've seen it over and over (and over and over). I can't give you specific names of "who says that" because I don't keep a log book, but it is one of the major things that gets trotted out when people complain about how their intake goal is so low and unachievable - "what is your activity level set at? Be honest about it! Set it to lightly active and you'll get more calories to eat."

PRIOR to the jawbone, I had my activity level at lightly active. I was told to change it to sedentary and enable negative calories. YES I do need to move in order to not have negative calories. I also find on days where I do nothing, I don't receive much in the way of extra calories, thus it motivates me to move more. It has turned out to be extremely accurate.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

can someone explain this please? I understand how, just don't understand why?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    sdado1013 wrote: »

Because this way you're getting your true TDEE.
  • sdado1013
    Options

ah I see, as opposed to the estimated TDEE? is this the same if I am using a customized nutritional goal?
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited February 2015
    Options

ah I see, as opposed to the estimated TDEE? is this the same if I am using a customized nutritional goal?

I was using a customized one before I got my jawbone. Now I see the actually calories I'm burning. Let me tell you, on days where I laze (no gym, day off work), I don't burn nearly as when I'm moving.
    Actually, if you have questions :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/editorgrrl/profile/editorgrrl?target=&redirected=true
    She's awesome and was the one who showed me how to use mine. Also she has many types so is WAY more knowledgeable.
  • sdado1013
    Options

I was using a customized one before I got my jawbone. Now I see the actually calories I'm burning. Let me tell you, on days where I laze (no gym, day off work), I don't burn nearly as when I'm moving.

So should I be using the guided goals now that I have a fibit charge HR?