2 questions food & sleep

Options
Swoopette
Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
First of all I have put in white potatoes by mistake instead of red. So I fixed it and realized that red potatoes are way higher in calories. WHY IS THAT?

Other question is a horrible sleeper. No matter if I go to bed at 11pm or 5am I sleep till noon. If I set an alarm for earlier I get nothing done that day so I sleep till noon. So my breakfast is my lunch. I do not eat in the night. SHOULD I SET AN ALARM TO GET UP AND EAT BREAKFAST AT 8am? Or just go with the times I'm awake?

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the potato thing. I do know that a lot of people don't eat the skin and they cheap themselves out of valuable nutrition. So if possible eat the whole potato.
    The sleep cycle is odd. Have you always had mixed up day night issues? I ask because it can mess with your hormones, which can create trouble losing weight.
  • Swoopette
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    I don't know about the potato thing. I do know that a lot of people don't eat the skin and they cheap themselves out of valuable nutrition. So if possible eat the whole potato.
    The sleep cycle is odd. Have you always had mixed up day night issues? I ask because it can mess with your hormones, which can create trouble losing weight.

I usually eat potatoes boiled so I do loose out on a lot of nutrition.

For as long as I can remember I have sleep issues. I realize this can be a problem in my weight loss. I do have sleeping pills but they are horrible on me. If for example I go to bed at 11pm I will sleep till noon and that night I can still go to bed at 11pm and sleep till noon. or I will go to sleep say about 5am and sleep till noon and get up at 9am and still don't go to bed till 5am. I have tried so many things to try to get on schedule and nothing is working. So I go with it.

I have been of MFP for sometime now and have gained at least 80 pounds. Due to other things too, but I am back and working on it to loose the weight but would like to Know what to do about this sleep food issue.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Red potato:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2552/2

White potato:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2

There's a thirty calorie difference, and according to this data, the red potato is better.

Get a sleep study done. You may have life-threatening sleep apnea. Follow your body's lead and eat when you get up.
  • Swoopette
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Red potato:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2552/2

White potato:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2

There's a thirty calorie difference, and according to this data, the red potato is better.

Get a sleep study done. You may have life-threatening sleep apnea. Follow your body's lead and eat when you get up.

I looked at those pages you sent and when I changed it to a different size potato the calories were lower for a red. Is there anyway to put this correct information in my food or is the best way to do it manually?

I will mention that to my doctor in March but he knows I don't sleep and isn't really concerned. Thank you though.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't set an alarm to eat a meal. Schedule your meals based on the time you are normally awake and going about your day. Your breakfast may be someone else's lunch ... no biggy ... Call it whatever you want to. It is just about making healthy choices and fueling your body for what YOU need to get done. If you have a non-traditional sleep schedule, then just adjust your meal schedule accordingly.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    All of the entries from that site are available on MFP. They are the ones without an asterick. The easier way to find them is to use the title as that website.
    I think they use potato, red, flesh baked or something like that.

You don't have to wake up to eat breakfast. I work shift work. Breakfast is my first meal of the day regardless of time. You can also rename your meals.

I also agree with the possible health problem but I know from my own experience, it was more of a habit than anything. I couldn't drag myself out of bed early. When I started to have to get up earlier and do things, it got easier. Now, with a baby, I have no choice.