What should I do to lose weight in my thighs hips and waist?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
I am a pear.

I want to know what's the best exercise to lift, tone and plump UP my butt, yet slim down and firm, contour my thighs. I want to lose the love handles and tummy.

I've thought about running...I guess this may do the trick, but I've never been a runner in my life, and it's probably gonna be hard to do it cause I'm a single mommy with two young children.

If that is the only thing I can do, then how should I start out? How long and how often should I do it to see some results in what amount of time?

Also, if I run, how should I focus my eating? What to eat and how soon before? so that I have the energy to do it.

Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Eat right to get rid of fat. And do squats and lunges for thighs and butt. No way to spot reduce fat, but eating right will help you lose it.
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    bump
  • ashleyjo2
    ashleyjo2 Posts: 13
    Options
    having the same issues...would like some ideas as well...Im meeting with a trainer for a consult on saturday, I can also let you know what she suggests
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats seem to be helping me out in that area. I also do free weights in each hand and stand up straight and tilt at each side for my love handles and hips.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce but you can focus on certain areas.

Nothing wrong with being pear shaped in my humble opinion. It's not the shape, it's the health.
  • ojell
    Options
    That'd be AWESOME Ashley! Thank you!
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the only way to lose it is to eat right and CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!!!! LOL ;) being big there has nothing to do with how big your muscles are it's the amount of fat that is stored so you need to do things to burn fat. but yes building muscle will help aid the process. we all have certain spots on our bodies that just naturally hold fat and your body decides what fat it wants to burn. for me i lost it in my legs first, then my back and now i'm starting on the gut. just be patient and it WILL come off eventually ;)
  • MISSMILL3405
    MISSMILL3405 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Colombianwarrior is correct. No way to spot reduce but eating right along with excerise should work any problem areas. I've found that the olyptical works well for cardio and the squats and lunges really tighten and lift everything in the lower body. Good luck!
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    couch to 5k program seems to work for a lot of people (c25k.com)

i don't use the program, but i follow a similar format - running 3 days a week. i'm up to 4 miles now and i started about 2-3 months ago. it's easier to get into than most people think, you just have to get into the right mindset!

i run early in the morning and don't usually eat before i run because it hurts my stomach, but bananas work because they won't make you cramp up (yay potassium!)

running will definitely help you tone up your lower half. I've become fairly satisfied with my bottom half now - just gotta work on the top half now! haha. good luck!
  • ojell
    Options
    I agree. I don't mind being a pear...It's what I am. lol BUT...I'm a bit overgrown these days. lol

I just wanna shrink my whole body down a little...but I want to firm it up and shape it up nicely. I notice I'm losing weight in other areas, but I just think that area's gonna need some extra effort.
  • arinker5001
    Options
    honestly, start power walking! it slims down butt, hips, and thighs!
    I have been running for about 3 years, but recently my friend asked me to start powerwalking with her. I thought she was crazy (cause she is a runner as well!) However, days when we powerwalked, I couldn't keep up! I have noticed with powerwalking, I have lost inches off of my hips and thighs! To me, it feels like completely different muscles than from running.

An idea is just to start powerwalking for 30 mins and then try for a faster pace each time.
    Another thing is, if you are able to do it twice a day! It really makes a difference!
    (Twice a day builds up your endurance. )

I hope this helps!! :smile:
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Keep your diet in check so you'll keep losing weight, it comes off the stubborn places last but it WILL come off. Do TONS of cardio, TONS of squats and TONS of lunges. And as much as I hate doing it, old school floor/mat work is very effective also. I am also a pear. My thighs have always been the trouble spot. I've been doing the above mentioned exercises very diligently and for the first time ever, my thighs are noticeably slimmer. Just work hard as often as possible, and remember...fun activities with your kids that keep you moving definitely count! I have an infant and I try my best to make our activities work in my favor. Good luck!!!
  • ojell
    Options
    Hehe Thanks Meg! I've known some people to use that program too. I started it sometime last year, but it didn't last long. I have seriously thought about trying it again. I would love to be able to just get out there and go for a run. I get so winded. :( I think it would be a nice little achievement for me. hehe It's scary to me though. LoL

BTW-I am currently doing Insanity, but I have missed a couple of days due to some personal issues. I love Insanity! It kills me, and I moan and groan through it, but I feel sooo good when I'm done. :) I also ride on my stationary bike a little.

I don't have tons of time to workout like I would like, so I just wanna make it count. You know?
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I did C25K, and I was amazed. I'd tried running several times before - including the 2.5 years with Navy ROTC, when I was running AT LEAST once a week - and I never enjoyed it or was any good at it. I now consider myself a runner. In fact, I know I'm a runner, because I was still trying to get in "light easy runs" when my ankle started swelling! :laugh: (I had sprained it and was trying to convince myself otherwise)

The program is definitely worth a try. I would highly suggest downloading an App (for smartphones) or podcasts (for mp3 players) to run with. I had Robert Ullrey's (spelling?) podcasts and they were great! The app or podcast will give you music to run to and tell you when to change between walking and jogging/running. My other primary piece of advice is DON'T WORRY ABOUT SPEED! Walk/jog/run as slow as you need to while building up your endurance; pace can be increased later once you've got a good "base" to work with.

GOOD LUCK!
  • ojell
    Options
    Great suggestions guys! Thanks so much!!
  • jazzcanary
    jazzcanary Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Ojell,

I am the same way! I have been doing the eliptical machine at my gym and I think that really helps with the butt area. I also think pilates are great for women with our shape. It creates more long lean muscles rather than bulk. Maybe you can do pilates at home with a good video-- "Windsor Pilates" has videos I really like but there are lots out there.

I also run, and having periods in my life where I was a serious runner and then not-- I find that running makes my thighs and hips appear bigger till you just lose the fat...and have the pants that fit when I am running and when I'm not to prove it (mostly in the thigh area). The muscles get bigger with running and with a layer of any fat over that it just looks like bulk. I.e. I ran a marathon 5 years ago which I trained for about a year. I finished with about a 4 hour time (9/10 minute mile average) which is decent. While being in the greatest shape of my life and the leanest I've ever been I can't say it helped minimize my hip and thigh area. Great to have big muscles burning calories-- but may not have the results you are going for at first.

With that said-- as a life long carrier of the bulk of my weight on my hips, thighs, and butt-- the main thing is you just gotta burn off all the fat you don't want so those gorgeous muscles will be seen minus the fat (I know, duh!). Running is a great way to get a really intense workout quickly especially since you don't have a lot of time. It will not be fun at first, or maybe not for a long time, but you will know you really worked out if you push yourself! You can use www.runnersworld.com to find a race (5K or something like that) and then create a workout schedule using their "smart coach." This is a fun way to push your self and set goals! AND IT'S FREE! See if there is a runner's club in you area and/or find a friend to run with. You will need the support-- it's tough at first to get into running but I am proud to say it's worth it to know what you can do. One of the hardest things I ever did was run that marathon, but it gives me a real sense that I can achieve anything I put my mind to!

best,
    Jazzcanary (almost 40lbs lighter!)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Cardio. It is how I've dropped weight in my hips, belly and thighs (though my thighs are still HUGE from running - they're all muscle now!).

And remember that female bodies - as a rule - want to hold onto weight in that area -- in preparation for a pregnancy. So, be patient when it doesn't just fall right off.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You have to work out without using weights but using your own body weight for leg lifts, squats, lunges, bicycle, moguls, jump rope etc. Jillian Michaels DVD will get your legs shredded. They do mine. My legs are amazing!
  • silvafan
    silvafan Posts: 147
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this I'm the same way, so now I know I should do more lunges & squats. I'm already running & about to start 30day shred.