Water Vs Tea?

Options
Hey everyone,

There has always been something I've been curious about, but a little embarrassed to ask. Let me start off by mentioning that I have always absolutely hated drinking water. I can barely finish half a glass. I've tried a lot of flavored water like crystal light. I've always struggled with drinking plenty of water when I lose weight, but I finally found something that works for me. I've learned last year that I absolutely love tea. So I've been drinking 6-8 glasses of tea a day, but without any sweeteners, sugar, milk, ect, just plain. So I was wondering if drinking 6-8 glasses of plain tea just as good as drinking 6-8 glasses of water? I thought it might be the same since tea is basically flavored water anyways. I mostly drink Rooibos, green tea mixes, lemon tea mixes, and chai tea.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Replace water in your mind with "fluids" ...it doesn't matter what you're drinking as long as your urine is a hydrated shade you're doing fine
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    water drinking was a marketing ploy by a branded bottled water company, if you look for the evidence that backs up 6-8 glasses a day, you will not find any, well no independent medical data anyway, in fact now warnings from the medical community are coming out about the dangers of drinking too much water this article gives you the Glasgow Doctors name and references to the bmj article
    dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2014112/Drinking-water-bad-health-Benefits-myth.htmlhttp://
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb
    That is wonderful if doesn't matter what we drink. :) I always was worried it could be bad drinking the tea instead of water.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    kitticus15 wrote: »
    water drinking was a marketing ploy by a branded bottled water company, if you look for the evidence that backs up 6-8 glasses a day, you will not find any, well no independent medical data anyway, in fact now warnings from the medical community are coming out about the dangers of drinking too much water this article gives you the Glasgow Doctors name and references to the bmj article
    dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2014112/Drinking-water-bad-health-Benefits-myth.htmlhttp://

Please don't quote the daily mail as proof :lol:
  • jenniator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @kitticus15‌
    Wow are you serious!? I never heard drinking too much water could be harmful. Not sure if the article is true. I always heard 6-8 glasses of water were healthy for a normal person and it's what I always find as a recommendation when I search how much I should drink.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    hydration.png

And yes, people have died from water intoxication ..it is a thing ..but not at 8 glasses (which I agree was made-up)
  • jenniator
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for the chart :D I'm not good at all with urine charts, but I will try. What would you recommend drinking on average, about 6-8 glasses? I always like to have a estimate. :) Yeah I have heard of people dying of water intoxication, but I doubt 8 glasses could be harmful.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I will often only drink tea all day... I'm well hydrated and happy (because tea makes you happy lol). I say drink tea! :)
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink approx. 2-3 liters of decaf iced tea per day and zero plain water. I personally try not to count caffeinated beverages (coffee, soda, etc) as part of my daily water intake.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

There has always been something I've been curious about, but a little embarrassed to ask. Let me start off by mentioning that I have always absolutely hated drinking water. I can barely finish half a glass. I've tried a lot of flavored water like crystal light. I've always struggled with drinking plenty of water when I lose weight, but I finally found something that works for me. I've learned last year that I absolutely love tea. So I've been drinking 6-8 glasses of tea a day, but without any sweeteners, sugar, milk, ect, just plain. So I was wondering if drinking 6-8 glasses of plain tea just as good as drinking 6-8 glasses of water? I thought it might be the same since tea is basically flavored water anyways. I mostly drink Rooibos, green tea mixes, lemon tea mixes, and chai tea.

As long as you aren't having trouble sleeping from the caffeine, have at it! I love really cold unsweetened tea with a lemon wedge, if it weren't -10 here today I'd be all over a glass.

The "Zinger" herbal teas are also great iced, if you are looking for a late-in-the-day alternative without caffeine.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Thank you guys so much :D I was somehow worried to much tea could be bad for me! It's such a relief since it's really the only thing that works for me and I actually love it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I doubt it was a marketing ploy. They were talking about drinking water when I was a kid. Back then, water came from drinking fountains, not plastic bottles.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    herbal non caffeinated tea is great! hydrates you as much as water with added benefits too. have you tried making lemon/other fruit water? Sometimes if im trying to get my water levels up without getting bored of just chugging back water I add some sugarfree squash. Really helps me drink a lot and the more I drink the more my weight loss boosts :) Xxxx
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Margaret McCartney actually had no medical or scientific backing for the "drinking 1-2L of water a day isn't true" article either. Drink water or fluids is good for you, you do need to drink at least 1-2L a day or half your body weight in oz.

Of course it's dangerous to drink too much water, but who would drink enough to kill themselves anyway? 1-2 litres isn't enough to harm you, quite the opposite in fact.

The daily fail always get stuff wrong.

• lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I drink tea a lot, especially on chilly days I like it better than having cold water all day. If I do caffeinated varieties I usually re-steep the same tea leaves a few times so I'm not getting so much caffeine throughout the day (too much makes me jittery)...but I also have some herbal teas that are naturally decaf that I'll make later at night. Some herbal teas like chamomile even make you calm/sleepy so they're great for late night.

I don't know what it is about water that turns you off but I find drinking water throughout the day much easier if it's ice cold. I re-fill my water bottle with ice a lot so it's always cold. Something about room temperature water I'm not a fan off unless I'm working out.
  • bonniedalberg
    Options
    When drinking a lot of tea, be sure to increase your iron. I think the tannic alters how we absorb it. Tea also has great benefits so enjoy!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Daily Mail is a terrible source. But there actually is credible evidence that the 8 glasses of water per day thing is a myth.

cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386

Getting enough hydration is important, but it doesn't need to come from plain water. It can come from pretty much any food or beverage.

The main benefit to drinking water in weight loss is that it can replace other, higher-calorie beverages for some people. It can also help you feel full between meals if you reach for a glass of water instead of a snack.

But for hydration purposes, going based on thirst is usually better.
  • bubbabacon
    bubbabacon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I make homemade ice. With decaf tea and water ~ there is my water intake. :)