What has been your longest plateau and how did you break it?

Options
So, I've lost 13 lbs which I am so appreciative it. They came off so quickly...and then the dreaded plateau. It's been 3 weeks with no movement up or down. I read of one way to break it was by increasing your calories, especially if you are exercising. My main problem is that I had gastric bypass 10 years ago so to try and meet, yet alone exceed, 1200 calories has been a problem....and then the thought of trying to eat back a portion of my exercise calories is so out of my reach! Looking for any advice on ways to not only break the plateau but on how to take in more calories. I typically eat breakfast around 7am, snack at 10am, lunch at 12pm, snack at 2pm, dinner at 6pm, and then a final snack around 8pm. Not sure what more I can do. Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to review my diary.

Replies

• trentsmomma08
    trentsmomma08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can't find out a lot but one member said this does not exist. The plateau.. I am not sure how this member can say that because it did happen to me and for over a month...

I was at the same deficit for 4 months then I stopped losing (my body adapted). I am going to have to cut not eat more.. But if 1200 is too low for you.. then reintroducing calories slowly is what I see you may have to do.. This will take some time...

But for me it time cut again off my new BMR/TDEE at my current weight... My problem is my TDEE each week is not the same. I am more active some weeks than other.. I may have to cut back on exercise or just do what one MFP said, just exercise the last 5 pounds off and not eat back any exercise calories... Didn't sound right to me, but it was the only advise I got.

Let me know if you get some advise that may work under your circumstances..
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Maybe just make sure your snacks are more calorie-dense. E.g swap a yoghurt for a handful of nuts. That should up your calories, but not your intake (quantity wise).

I've been through 2 mini-plateaus now, each lasting 3 to 4 weeks. Each time I lost quite a bit of weight at the end, all at once (obviously water weight that had been amassing). Your body does need time to adjust and it often gets this time by holding onto water. Just sit tight, stick to your calorie goals and see where you are in a months time.

Also if you're exercising then you could be gaining muscle and this might be obscuring your fat loses on the scale - this is why you should take measurements (inches) and pictures, in addition to weighing yourself. Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am back... I found ALOT of great information here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

(keep looking in this forum.. I found information regarding hitting stall).

Now this for a forum called ThoseNotSoHeavyGirls (which is me) needing to lose weight (around 10 - 15- 20 lbs) and it has alot of things for those getting started, logging accurately and yes the dreaded stall.. There is another forum called EM2LW and there is a website called EM2LW.com..

I am 46 years old and the peri-menopause has got her teeth in me as well. this is not an excuse for anything, but when it comes to cortisol and other hormones this is something to pay a attention to (for my self).

I searched around in this forum and it answered some of questions that I did not have to ask the entire MFP members. Which I did earlier and received either no response or a response that was pretty absurd in which someone said the stall does not exist and said to exercise my pounds off. Well I can't exercise pounds off and this be a long term solution... I am not exercising to loose weight (but a big plus) I am trying to exercise and eat right in the proper balance.

Search around in this forum. .I hope you find at least one thing helpful!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I think my longest plateau was a month. I kept exercising & eating at or below my calorie goal, and eventually lost more weight.
    I've lost 13 lbs ... They came off so quickly... and then the dreaded plateau. It's been 3 weeks with no movement up or down.
    Trust science. If you're eating less than your body needs to run, you will lose weight. There's no choice in the matter.
    With only 17 lb to lose, managing 0.5 lb per week would be a lot, so be patient.
    I read of one way to break it was by increasing your calories, especially if you are exercising.
    :banghead:
    WHY does this myth persist, and why can't people see the illogic in it?!?!
    If you're not losing on 1200 calories, why would you think that eating _more_ is going to make you lose weight?
    I had gastric bypass 10 years ago so to try and meet, yet alone exceed, 1200 calories has been a problem... and then the thought of trying to eat back a portion of my exercise calories is so out of my reach!
    Ignore exercise/net calories. If you're very hungry at the end of the day, once in a while, you could have 1/3 - 1/2 of them for a snack.
    And if you had stomach surgery, they should have taught you healthy ways to eat. Get in contact with the dietician & have a followup appointment. Your nutritional absorption is screwed up because of surgery, so the usual advice on how to eat doesn't apply. Your macros are going to be _significantly_ different from normal people.
    Looking for any advice on ways to not only break the plateau but on how to take in more calories.
    Trust in science.
    Measure/weigh all your food. Be certain that you're really eating what you think you're eating.
    Drop 50 calories.
    Increase your exercise time &/or intensity - use the hill program on the treadmill, walk faster, move to the elliptical, increase the weight you're lifting, do more reps, add another set.

51637601.png
  • trentsmomma08
    trentsmomma08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I finally broke through and dropped 1 lb!! You're support and information is truly appreciated.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It may sound crazy but if my losses come to a standstill I have a weekend where I eat what I want, (I may put on a pound) but when I start back with calorie deficit it seems i'm boosted then start dropping weight again xXx