Tasty Chicken Marinades?

Options
I cook with chicken often, but I've never been able to find a marinade that I really like. I'd love to get some of your ideas for low calorie marinades, sauces, and seasoning combinations. Bottled marinades that have worked wonderfully for anyone in the past are more than welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like to use Newman's Own light lime vinaigrette
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    :) Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like it would be really good with Mexican flavors.
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I made one the other day that was amazing I put on some skinless chicken breasts and smoked over mesquite. (let it marinade at least 20 min, but better if you make in advance and just throw it back in the fridge overnight)

1-1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro (leaves & tender stems)
    3/4 cup canned coconut milk (found in Asian aisle of grocery store)
    12 fresh basil leaves
    1 large or 2 small jalapenos, stem, seeds, & membrane removed
    3 garlic cloves
    2 slices fresh ginger (approx. 1/8" thick)
    1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt*
    1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 teaspoons packed brown sugar

top it off with some fresh squeezed lime after cooked
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    That does sound amazing! And thank you for the detail! I think I may try that tomorrow.
  • wildtxn
    Options
    I forgot to mention that you should throw all of those into a blender or processor and puree it prior to using it to marinade the chicken or whatever meat you wish to use it on.
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    Noted. Thanks again!
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My favourite I make at the moment is fresh lemon and thyme, i soak chicken breasts in the juice of 2 lemons and a big bunch of thyme in the morning before I leave home and then they are ready to be roasted when I get home in the evening. Its a nice fresh taste xxx
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My go to is 1 tsp each of rosemary, paprika, onion powder and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I usually double the recipe and add red potatoes to the chicken breast in a baking dish and bake at 375 for about 40 minutes.

I also like to throw together some pineapple juice with teriyaki sauce and put the chicken on skewers with bell peppers, onions and pineapple chunks.

Another favorite is honey mustard chicken - 1 cup of plain bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of mustard, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tbsp of honey. I coat it with the mustard/worc/honey, then dip in breadcrumbs and bake. It would be good without the bread crumbs too, probably.
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    iamaprincessx- That sounds perfect for the weeks when I'm really on the go. :smiley:
    TheVirgoddess- So many options! The honey mustard recipe is definitely on my list for this week.

Thank you both!
  • douthenico
    douthenico Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a few I like:

Balsamic vinegar (2tbsp), brown sugar (2 tsp) and crushed garlic (1tsp/1clove). Pan fry until it caramelises after marinating

Soy sauce (2tbsp), runny honey (2 tsp) and crushed garlic (1tsp/1 clove) . Works well pan fried, grilled or oven baked. Also great for kebabs on the bbq.

Dijon mustard (2tbsp), soy sauce (2tsp), garlic crushed (1tsb/1 clove) oven bake after marinated
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    I love the simplicity of some of these recipes! I expected to have to do tons of work. Thank you!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I cheat and use the Kraft Anything Dressings. Before work, I'll throw the chicken in a ziploc bag with a couple tablespoons of dressing and salt and pepper and they're good to go when I get home. The different flavors help break up the monotony of eating chicken frequently.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with lots of garlic
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    I usually use bottled marinades, but I've tried quite a few, and the only one I liked was Stubb's. I'm really hoping to find a good Asian marinade that I can also use as a sauce for stir fry
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    . I'd like to have quite a few that are Asian inspired, as well as a really good recipe for fajitas.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas...Bump for later.
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    I just cooked my chicken with the recipe that Wildtxn posted, and let me just say that it was DELICIOUS. I've never tasted chicken that was so flavorful. I will definitely use it again.
  • wildtxn
    Options
    Glad you liked it
  • chelseavice565
    Options
    Yeah, it was great. Whenever you're feeling creative again, make sure to post! :D
  • cosmogirl530
    Options
    wildtxn wrote: »
    I made one the other day that was amazing I put on some skinless chicken breasts and smoked over mesquite. (let it marinade at least 20 min, but better if you make in advance and just throw it back in the fridge overnight)

1-1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro (leaves & tender stems)
    3/4 cup canned coconut milk (found in Asian aisle of grocery store)
    12 fresh basil leaves
    1 large or 2 small jalapenos, stem, seeds, & membrane removed
    3 garlic cloves
    2 slices fresh ginger (approx. 1/8" thick)
    1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt*
    1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 teaspoons packed brown sugar

top it off with some fresh squeezed lime after cooked