Dislike flavour of whey protein, how to make it taste better

Options
Hi all,

I bought a couple of tubs of whey protein a while back. I like all the flavours (banana, chocolate and cappuccino) except for one; cookies and cream. It actually makes me a bit nauseous. I've left it on the shelf for a while because of that, but it'll expire in a month and the stuff is too expensive to toss. I've tried mixing it with coffee, tried adding some sugar but that didn't help. Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do to make it taste better?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    whats the brand so i can steer clear of that flavor?
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Whey Delicious by XXL Nutrition
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Try making smoothies with it? I don't like chocolate or peanut butter tastes myself, but I know a lot of people use peanut butter in their smoothies.. might taste good with that? But will also have a much higher calorie count. Could also try pawning it off on a friend who likes it haha.

Also try mixing with chocolate milk?

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Could be the brand. I buy Allmax Isolate in vanilla. I prefer the type of sweetener they use which doesn't give a bad aftertaste. Although I don't drink protein plain, I make smoothies, so usually the fruit, veggies and kefir I mix into the smoothie cover the taste of the protein.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Add a teaspoon of real cocoa powder, it'll dull the sweetness and ramp up the purer chocolate taste.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Try making smoothies with it? I don't like chocolate or peanut butter tastes myself, but I know a lot of people use peanut butter in their smoothies.. might taste good with that? But will also have a much higher calorie count. Could also try pawning it off on a friend who likes it haha.

Also try mixing with chocolate milk?

Yup, smoothies.............
    I add a little cinnamon when mixing in PB
    Other mix-ins: Banana, spinach, berries, ice cream, yogurt, avocado, etc.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I bought a cookies n cream whey protein that was sort of barfy once, too. I started blending it with frozen strawberries, and it was actually really delicious that way.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Another vote for making smoothies.

Some more mix-in suggestions: nut or seed butters, frozen grated or chopped zucchini (gives it an ice cream consistency when blended), coconut oil (but BEWARE if you dislike the taste of coconut because it WILL be very coconutty, in my experience).
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've heard of adding some pudding powder into the mix of you drink it can help the taste. Plus there are so many pudding flavors to choose from!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't say I have an answer! But I would recommend trying Quest's Vanilla Milkshake protein powder next time you're running low - it is by far the most delicious protein powder I've had yet!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    jello pudding packets ! I mix a packet of instant pudding with my protein powder and fiber and some water in my nutri ninja and it tastes amazing.
  • enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't know, but try something like Trutein next time. Super delicious.
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Maybe you can try Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein. It wasn't my first choice! I did use Isopure at first! I didn't like the flavors. When I had the Body Fortress, it was hard to get use to! Eventually, I refrigerated the protein shake and it actually taste like a real milkshake! The chocolate flavor taste pretty good and the Vanilla flavor taste alright! Mix the flavors together and it really tastes like a Chocolate Vanilla Swirl milkshake! Give it a try! You might like it in the long run! It also has tons of protein in the powder as well!
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    could just be the brand.......i'd try reaching out to the manufacturer......i've actually never heard of that brand......but do you have a blender? i'd say throw some strawberries, or grapes in with some milk...chocolate milk if you have to.....lol. just remember to count those added calories :x lol. i personally use a digital kitchen scale to portion out my smoothies......
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll definitely try the options given here until it tastes good or I get sick of it lol :smile:

The brand itself is Dutch which is why it's probably unknown to many of you ;-) Their banana protein powder is absolutely delicious, and I like the other two flavours I got (chocolate and cappuccino) as well. Unfortunately the cookies one has something particular about it which I don't like, but I guess that's just personal preference.