Peanut butter

Options
Hello MFP world :) I am looking for suggestions for peanut butters (or any other type of spread like almond butter etc...) that you like and would recommend! Right now I'm using Skippy natural creamy and it tastes delicious but I'm concerned it might not be the healthiest option. I'm trying to go for the most natural options too.

Please let me know your faves!

Replies

• dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    Tree of Life - Organic crunchy peanut butter .. Yummy :laugh:
  • ashkaps
    ashkaps Posts: 32
    Options
    Bump, I also wanted to know the best peanut butter that I could get in the UK as lot are just full of sugar. I just bought some Whole Earth Smooth Organic Peanut Butter with no added sugar - I think this would do fine and contains quite a lot of protein! Any other suggestions?
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I shop at Costco and buy the Kirkland natural peanut butter--made of just peanuts. For PB, that's the key for me. If there are other additives on the ingredient list, I give it a miss.

I've also bought some almond butter but haven't cracked it open yet. I've seen some folks here mention it in some of their recipe suggestions, so it's in the pantry!
  • kdeaner
    kdeaner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maranatha Creamy Almond Butter, I love it in oatmeal.
  • GingerDarlene
    GingerDarlene Posts: 164
    Options
    I use smuckers organic natural peanut butter; I like it.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump - I love peanut butter, also from the UK. Thanks for all your help guys xxx
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Better N'Peanut Butter... I buy it at Trader Joe's.. It's 100 calories and 2g Fat for 2 tbsp.... I absolutely love the stuff!!!!

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/nutrition.php
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Almost all peanut butter is actually very healthy for you but it is high in calories so you really cant go wrong and it makes protien shakes taste amazing I use JIFF extra crunchy to just eat off the spoon lol and JIFF regular for shakes.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Smuckers Natural PB - omg, so amazingly good!
  • cmoran1086
    cmoran1086 Posts: 2
    Options
    Woodstock Farms Organic Raw Almond Butter is YUMMMMMMY!!!!. very expensive though. :)
    Also Santa Cruz Organic Peanut Butter
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it, but I have ordered it to taste it:
    http://www.bellplantation.com/products
    Something called PB2. here is the description:

We call it peanut butter’s second generation because it’s unlike any peanut butter you’ve ever experienced. Through a unique process that doesn’t involve the use of any chemicals and doesn’t alter nature’s intended balance found within the peanut, we remove over 85% of the fat from premium quality peanuts. Essentially, the oil is squeezed out of roasted peanuts and what remains is our famous powdered peanut butter – all natural with no artificial sweeteners or preservatives.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Peanut Butter!!!! haha. I went through the peanut butter isle in Walmart one day looking at all the calorie contents (even the natural made ones) and to me they seemed to all have the same amount of calories. So I just go with the cheapest walmart brand which is great value brand peanut butter.

As for uses, I love peanut butter on apples!! Mmmm....slice them up and add a little peanut butter on the top of each slice...so good. Celery is good as most people know. I even eat mine with carrots. I also put a tablespoon of peanut butter in my oatmeal every morning --so yummy.

When snacking I just try to be careful and limit myself to a tablespoon or two because it is kind of high in calories/fat. As most things....it's good within moderation.
  • BeautyCrys
    BeautyCrys Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use Jiff peanut butter it has a excellent source of Omega-3 EPA and DHA!
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have heard great things about PB2. It's a peanut butter in powder form that's SUPER low in calories and fat. You can add water and make it into a butter form or use it as a powder in shakes and such. Here is the website for more detail. http://bellplantation.com/
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Better N'Peanut Butter... I buy it at Trader Joe's.. It's 100 calories and 2g Fat for 2 tbsp.... I absolutely love the stuff!!!!

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/nutrition.php

Interesting...I will have to look into this! :)
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The thing with peanut butter is the amount of sugar in it makes it less of a healthy choice. I have found Smart Balance Rich Roast Chunky Peanut Butter. It is absolutely delicious!
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Just be careful about the word NATURAL because it has no official meaning with the FDA, so it can mean whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean.

I like Smucker's Organic crunchy because it's just peanuts and salt. Trader Joe's has some really good nut butters, but I can't remember if they have other junk in them.

Many people don't like peanutbutter without the sugar/added oil, but I really think the plain peanut kind grows on you if you keep eating it. Now when I have regular commercial peanut butter it tastes way too sweet.
  • RJaxon00
    RJaxon00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Nature's Place Organic Creamy Peanut Butter - Natural Peanut Butter yesterday.

I mostly purchased it due to the minimal (and recognizable) ingredients. It's pretty good as well confirmed by my 6yo daughter. :-)
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Whole Earth Smooth Organic Peanut Butter with no added sugar
    that one's my go-to peanut butter.

uk folk - try a health food shop for unusual alternatives! i picked up hazelnut butter (meridian) the other day but they also had almond butter and cashew butter. asda used to do an own-range cashew butter too but they discontinued it (or at least stopped selling it in "my" branch) - i was heartbroken!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it, but I have ordered it to taste it:
    http://www.bellplantation.com/products
    Something called PB2. here is the description:

We call it peanut butter’s second generation because it’s unlike any peanut butter you’ve ever experienced. Through a unique process that doesn’t involve the use of any chemicals and doesn’t alter nature’s intended balance found within the peanut, we remove over 85% of the fat from premium quality peanuts. Essentially, the oil is squeezed out of roasted peanuts and what remains is our famous powdered peanut butter – all natural with no artificial sweeteners or preservatives.

I'm a PB2 addict. I like it just reconstituted to regular PB texture, but I LOVE it used in things -- peanut butter chocolate shake, thai peanut sauce, etc. But I do keep "regular" peanut butter in my pantry and my choice is what you're using now: Skippy Natural. Why? Because I just don't like the taste of all natural peanut butter (I was raised on Jiff) but I won't eat Jiff or the other brands that contain hydrogenated oils. Skippy Natural doesn't have any hydrogenated oils (partially or fully) but it tastes as close to Jiff as I have found. But with the calorie difference, I honestly have to say that it's a relatively rare day that I'm willing to use the 190 calories on the real thing when I can have the same quantity of PB2 for only 45 calories.