GOOD or BAD: my body wants 40% fat in my diet to stay satiated

Options
2»

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've been a long time yo-yo dieter, and I've always (blindly) followed what the diet industry said - so I've never been one to add oil to my meals. I'd focus on carbs and protein and I'd always seem to be ravenous, especially after eating things like whole grains and potatoes. As a result, I'm 5'3" and up to 160lbs, and I have a lot of extra fat on right now. My husband recently revealed that he adds oil when he cooks for us, and on those nights, he notices I don't snack as much.

So, I started playing around with my macros and was surprised to find that my body wants FAT. If I put my macros around 40% fat (via nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconut oil), I tend to not constantly feel hungry, for once in my life!!!

I found this weird as I've always been told not to add oils, but it feels really amazing to not constantly be hungry, and to be satiated after eating a normal sized portion of food - which has significantly decreased my food obsession issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it okay to eat this much fat, especially with ~30lbs of fat to lose? I'm keeping my calories around 1500-1600 per day. Protein is at 20-25% and carbs are at 35-40%

I tend to keep my fats around 35% or above. I've had issues with an eating disorder, and I've found that the higher my fats are, the less likely I am to binge.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you've found a marvelous discovery. Go with it, and enjoy it!
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I go "over" on fat all the time and I care not what MFP says to me about it. I feel full, eat less and am losing weight. Like you I mostly get them from "healthy" sources like nuts, avacado, olive oil, eggs, etc.

In fact I just logged a serving of macadamia nuts and MFP yelled at me about that food being high in fat. I gleefully ignored it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    There is more and more research showing that lower carb and higher fat is ideal. I'll have 50-70 grams of fat daily. I've noticed I too do better with minimal carbs (still 100-150g). This article is interesting. I'd recommend also reading the imbedded linked article on why you are always hungry on the original research.

You will have people argue about a calorie being a calorie. So to lose you only need a calorie deficit. Thats archaic "thinking".

http://read.plash.in/2015/02/19/eat-calories-burn-calories-key-automatic-weight-loss/

Congratulation on finding your balance!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I like a higher fat diet as well. I recommend coconut chips/flakes as something tasty and easy if you want to add some fat. I eat nuts, oils, chia, etc regularly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if your primary goal is weight loss then macros don't really matter….
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm considering increasing my fat for that reason, but, well... I'm just not overly fond of most sources of healthy fats, and nuts typically don't do it for me either.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm so happy to finally have found a ratio that works for me and calms my crazy appetite :)

That's what's most important. And 40% fat is completely in the realm of "moderate and balanced" fat intake. Eat those nuts/seeds, avocados and coconut oil! Those are the most delicious fats, IMHO. So satisfying.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm considering increasing my fat for that reason, but, well... I'm just not overly fond of most sources of healthy fats, and nuts typically don't do it for me either.

I have to keep nuts to a minimum (migrane trigger). I've added coconut oil for cooking, flax in smoothies, avacados and such. It is a little harder getting the good fats. Or there fish and even an omega suppliment works too.

The coconut oil can be used as butter if you wish.
  • nickelpickle
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the support everyone! It's great to know I'm not the only one. My food obsession was definitely bordering (and probably crossing) the line of an eating disorder so I can't explain how incredibly relieved I am to have figured this out. I finally feel like I'm free from constantly thinking about food because I actually do feel satiated when I eat.

DAMN the diet industry for telling me not to eat fats all of these years!!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Fat is tasty, but satiating, no it's not.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    High fat high protein low carb low sugar is the way to go ;)
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    Your body needs fat to actually burn fat x
  • williams969
    Options

The OP is vegan. Low carb/low sugar would be inconsistent with her ethical food choices. Not impossible, but incredibly unbalanced and restrictive.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options

The OP is vegan. Low carb/low sugar would be inconsistent with her ethical food choices. Not impossible, but incredibly unbalanced and restrictive.

Not extremely low... carbs from most veggies and sugars from fruit are fine... just cut out the heavy options such as bread, rice, potatoes etc etc

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm so happy to finally have found a ratio that works for me and calms my crazy appetite :)

That's what's most important. And 40% fat is completely in the realm of "moderate and balanced" fat intake. Eat those nuts/seeds, avocados and coconut oil! Those are the most delicious fats, IMHO. So satisfying.

Most Delicious? And you left out bacon? Thats a healthy fat!

...bacon doesnt care about your opinion :-)
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options

this is what my trainer has me doing -- and it seems to be working....
  • williams969
    Options

I love bacon, too. But not applicable to OP, so I didn't mention it ;)
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I love bacon, too. But not applicable to OP, so I didn't mention it ;)

Agreed. Macro fat needs to be way above 40 for bacon to play a part
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    my trainer had a diet prepared for me that is 35-40% fat. I was shocked at first and definitely having trouble getting it in - because I'm so used to lowering fat intake. One thing that I do is hide 1 TBSP of olive oil in my protein shake in the morning. You can't even taste it!

Not relevant to the discussion, but nut butter tastes way better than oil in protein smoothies :joy: