Is it important to ease into Maintaining?

Options
Im still about 14 pounds from my goal, but I have lost 28 pounds fairly quickly (not really meaning to, it is post baby weight). Anyway, I've yo-yo'ed a bit over the years, and have never really tracked maintenance.
Is it important to gradually increase my calories when I reach my goal, or can I just eat at maintenance straight away?

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    you could just jump to it. But you will gain a bit initially. Glycogen replenishment + your body not being used to eating that much.

But given that you don't really know your maintenance you could also add 100 every week or two until you stop losing. Way of finding your maintenance. You might still add a bit once you get it but it shouldn't be as much as it is when jumping up
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. Easing into it will have a few benefits-- probably no dramatic weight increase, which can be kind of a mind-game for some; time to develop the habits that will sustain you in maintenance; and likelihood that you'll drop an extra pound or two while increasing calories so that you have a little extra buffer.

What I did was just to decrease my deficit as I approached maintenance. Instead of losing 1 lb per week I switched to half a pound per week for the last little bit. Then when I reached maintenance it wasn't as large of a shift.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think the first year after hitting goal weight it proved very successful to me to make sure I logged my calories and really ease into maintenance slowly. I pretty much set my calories to lose 1/2 a pound since I eat out so much for work. The one thing I have learned to focus on as well as getting my activity in. Whether it be yoga or walking, I need to get more steady/disciplined on it.
  • katerinawaller
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I think you're right. I shall slowly increase my calories, and track everything for a while. I hope to be able to stop tracking at some point, but I think I'll need to be disciplined for a few months at least.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Actually, look at this like an airplane coming in on approach...you slow down as you approach your goal so that you come in for a nice smooth landing and go straight to maintenance.

That's my recommendation anyway.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I eased into it a year ago, gradually upping every week, just so I could make sure what my maintanance would be.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think mentally, it is good to ease into it. Increase calories by 100/week until you are at the # MFP gives you to maintain (or if you've worked out your TDEE, that number). I find most days I have a hard time getting out of "losing weight" mentality and it will take me a while to realize that 1860 is the number now, not 1450. BTW, I've been here before 3 times (first time after losing 45lbs, second after losing 8lbs and this time after losing 11lbs). I stink at the maintaining mental aspect. I typically want to either eat less to lose, or eat ALL the food. The middle part isn't easy for me.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Check this out...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reverse-dieting-4-reasons-your-best-diet-might-be-reverse-diet.html

Reverse Dieting is the best way to ease back out into maintenance or even lean/fat bulking.