How did you find *Fabulous* at 40?

Options
Hey fitness pals! About 5 minutes ago I was 24. (If I could tell that girl anything, it would be "Love yourself--NOW! For real. Side note, in 10 years you'll wish you had those thighs.) Anyway, watch an episode of Project Runway while slurping a half bottle of wine and destroying a bag of Fritos, and boom I'm turning 40 this April. I'm here to make some changes. Not so much to lose weight but to ditch bad habits and lazy living, and give me momentum toward true, holistic health. Any inspiration or words of wisdom for finding fabulous at 40?

Replies

• lori_malo
    lori_malo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fit, fab, and forty...
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 last summer. I was dreading it as I felt that it signified middle aged mumsiness. Since then I have lost a stone in weight, competed the 30 day shred programme 1.5 times, sung in two gospel concerts, travelled abroad twice (once for work, once with family) and started the New Rules of Lifting for Women programme. Overall it's been a great year for me. It was the kick start I needed to get back in shape now that my kids are in primary school and need me a little less.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I turned 40 three years ago and i remember feeling depressed. My body ached, I had no energy to keep up with the kids and lets not mention eating habits, please. I was diagnosed with Diabetes and my world has changed completely. I am making the changes necessary and let me tell you I feel great. My life is not perfect but I am happier than I have ever been. I have done Zumba, Bootcamp, lost 25 pounds and life was super sweet. Fell of the wagon after the death of my mom but I am back here again feeling better than ever. 40 is the new 30 so keep your chin up and feel great!. Eating right and moving your body is key. New lifestyle, new you and this time is for the rest of your fabulous life.
  • john8506
    john8506 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are here and wanting to change your lifestyle is critical. I turn 62 in March and although I have never been obese I have carried around an extra 10 to 20 pounds for years. That all changed a year ago when diagnosed with cancer. The good news out of this was it was caught early and with surgery is now behind me. This was my wake up call that told me "I needed to change" my lifestyle and so I started to walk and change my eating habits. Then my children gave me Fitbit for Christmas and that launched me into a whole new level of awareness and motivation. My fitness pals are a daily motivation to keep it going. I wish you the best and if you are looking for friend I would love to join your group of fitness friends.
  • tinat0505
    tinat0505 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lol snap!!! i turn 40 in may and have a romantic trip to Paris on the cards, i don't want to be fat and 40!! upping my exercise and lowering my calories, feel free to add me for motivation (i could sure do with some at times) xxx
  • DLinnell58
    DLinnell58 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    40? I hardly remember 40! 16 years ago I would have told myself "Self, get in shape and stay that way! It gets much harder in your 50s!" Good luck in your journey! I'm sure you'll do just great!
  • MindySm
    MindySm Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 45, when I turned 40, I trained and ran my first road race (walked most of it) but I did it and I have done a couple since...find something you have never done before and strive for it (kind of a healthy bucket list)
  • giabelle
    giabelle Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    About a month before I turned 40 I had an absolute melt down. I have never been a woman to ever care about the number of candles on my birthday cake before but this was different. I felt like I couldn't breath or more but wanted to run far away and hide all at the same time. Here I was, reaching the midway point in my life and I had nothing to show for it - or at least that's how I felt.

40 made me take a long hard look at the life I had settled for. It utterly made me sick. So, I spend the next year making some lists and following through on some promises and changes that needed to be made.

I don't know how fit, fun and fabulous I can say turning 40 was but what I can say is that it's definitely an *kitten* Kicker! It's definitely been quite the trip lol. The inner you comes out and demands attention. So that part has been pretty great. I just turned 41 in Dec. Less scary in every way and has been good so far.

Go get em' Girl :)
  • rubyred75
    rubyred75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 this year too & feeling the same "where did the time go" feeling. It's great to hear so many words of encouragement! I'm gonna hang on to that "40 is the new 30" one! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • mmmMiMi
    mmmMiMi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I dunno, man....."40" was many many martinis ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    eat right and exercise regularly.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Think about what you have learned so far in life and use it to your advantage.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Fit, fab and 46 here...never felt better and more energised!
  • rrrigos
    rrrigos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you...I'm 39 and want to be as fit and healthy as possible for 40...it's a lot harder now but we can do it! Blessings.
  • azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What a boost! You all have me thinking about the power of mind-set and positivity, and using the landmark moment as a springboard for pursuing a better version of me. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to share your words of "fabulousity"!
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 last September and I'm now determined to be in the best shape of my life and finally get to a weight I haven't been since my teens. I definitely take it all a lot more seriously now and make a real effort to stick to my diet and fitness plan and learn as much as I can about how I can get to where I want to be.

I think when you're younger you think you've got all the time in the world to be unhealthy but now I realise how important my health is and how getting older means looking older unless you try and stay fit.
  • AndrewDKM
    AndrewDKM Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I turn 40 in September. On my 39th birthday, I swore it would be my last one being over 300 lbs. I had a bit of a health scare about 4 weeks after my birthday, and the doctor put me on the scale and I was at 342 lbs. Here we are, 4 months later, and I'm down 76lbs (66 left to go to my goal). I jog regularly on the treadmill, and my eating habits have taken a complete 180.
    A side note... my father had a heart attack 3 years ago and had open heart surgery a few weeks later. He's also a diabetic, and he's had his carotid artery cleaned out to improve the blood flow. Seeing what he's been through was a huge factor in me deciding to drop the weight.