How do I add Breastfeeding to my food diary?

Options
CARNAT22
CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
Sorry it's been a while.

I am adding breastfeeding and instead of adding calories it's taking them off?

What should I be adding to my planner and where?

TIA

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you are the one being fed by the breastfeeding, there are entries for human milk.
    If not, you can add it as an exercise and log x calories from breastfeeding.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I am doing the feeding LOL.

I've figured it out, thanks.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    :p I didnt know there were options for having breast milk yourself on this site lol!
  • maryamn4
    maryamn4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Any one know How many calories I should put in breastfeeding ?
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 300 and 500 extra calories is what is generally recommended, depending on how much you are breastfeeding. Search in the food database and you'll find several options for various stages of breastfeeding that will add negative calories, fat, protein etc. to your day. I'm currently breastfeeding a toddler, and I'm adding 100 extra calories per day. When I was exclusively breastfeeding, I found that 300 extra calories was enough to maintain supply and lose a modest amount (not more than 0.5lbs per week). 500 calories was too much for me--I was gaining with 500 extra per day, even with exclusive breastfeeding.
  • maryamn4
    Options
    Thank you. I am breastfeeding a toddler . I did add it to my foods that but it did not add calories. Am I suppose to eat back those calories?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    It should add calories automatically. I noticed when I was recently trying it that some of the entries on there don't add the calories like they're supposed to, so keep trying different ones until you get one that works. I am currently doing 500 extra a day because I'm breastfeeding full-time (baby doesn't eat solids). I do eat them all back some days, but most days I'm a couple hundred calories short. My milk supply seems to be fine and I'm losing so far. When I was logging while BFing my toddler, I added 200 extra per day and was able to lose weight easily doing that. It's sort of trial and error.
  • mystuffperez
    mystuffperez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It should add calories automatically. I noticed when I was recently trying it that some of the entries on there don't add the calories like they're supposed to, so keep trying different ones until you get one that works. I am currently doing 500 extra a day because I'm breastfeeding full-time (baby doesn't eat solids). I do eat them all back some days, but most days I'm a couple hundred calories short. My milk supply seems to be fine and I'm losing so far. When I was logging while BFing my toddler, I added 200 extra per day and was able to lose weight easily doing that. It's sort of trial and error.

I am neither gaining or loosing because i eat all those 500 calories. Total of 1830 a day.should i lower the calories for BF?
  • maryamn4
    Options

Thank you for your help
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

I am neither gaining or loosing because i eat all those 500 calories. Total of 1830 a day.should i lower the calories for BF?

Are you weighing your food? You should be able to eat back those 500 calories and lose weight, but if you're not then you're either eating more than you think or maybe you aren't burning 500 calories a day BFing. You could try lowering your calories just slightly. I'm eating around 2000 calories a day right now and losing, but I also weigh EVERYTHING I eat and log it all.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's considered exercise to give you more calories...listing under food will take away calories :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ShandaLeaS wrote: »
    It's considered exercise to give you more calories...listing under food will take away calories :smile:

There used to be a negative calorie feature in the food diary that allowed you to enter food as a negative number. For example, you could log breastfeeding as -500. So if you had 1500 calories, you would now have 2000. In one of the updates, the feature was accidently removed from the app. The last time I checked you could still do it on the web version.

(I use the app and contacted MFP when the negative calorie feature disappeared).
  • h_kat
    h_kat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've just joined and was wondering this exact thing! I'll add it as a custom exercise :smile:
  • WishesOnTheStar
    WishesOnTheStar Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    lmao came in expecting something different after seeing this recently

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/body-builders-pounding-breast-milk/story?id=29020910